NFL 2015 Part 2: There's a Flag Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Take the lead... on another FG nonetheless. It could be virtually over right now, in NE's favor. Instead, they've 50 seconds to stay alive.

Guys, FG's aren't automatic either.

I don't think it's obvious either way.

68% chance of the Patriots making it there with the way Denver's defense was playing? More like 6.8%.

Interference = Every time NFL teams lose, we question coaching decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Burke's model thinks it's borderline, and he's incorporating way more information than we are.

Does this model take into account the way the defense was playing? Did it factor in in game statistics? Situational statistics of the field they were playing on? Splits for the defense, and for Gostkowski? Are they split for playoff situations? What's the context, here?

Bottom line is that the patriots had two FG opportunities, and they had the ability to easily get the ball back on defense. Is that taken into account? I don't know how you can defend this decision. The patriots took the ballsier move, and it didn't pay off.

Does this model take into account the way the defense was playing? Did it factor in in game statistics? Situational statistics of the field they were playing on? Splits for the defense, and for Gostkowski? Are they split for playoff situations? What's the context, here?

I'll try to dig up some references for you, but I'm pretty sure that Burke's research shows that using probabilities from the current game does a worse job of predicting future results in that game than using league-average results (which is what the model uses). In other words, using current-game probabilities (or making adjustments for such) is another small sample size mistake.

Also, saying that the Patriots had the ability to 'easily' get the ball back seems really optimistic to me.

What a horrible coaching decision by Arians to have Palmer throw that interception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try to dig up some references for you, but I'm pretty sure that Burke's research shows that using probabilities from the current game does a worse job of predicting future results in that game than using league-average results (which is what the model uses). In other words, using current-game probabilities (or making adjustments for such) is another small sample size mistake.

Also, saying that the Patriots had the ability to 'easily' get the ball back seems really optimistic to me.

Well fuck it I guess I'm an optimist.

Also optimists? The Patriots. Who easily got the ball back. Twice.

Back
Top Bottom