NFL 2014/2015 - Super Bowl Postmortem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Kearse had drove his blocking assignment a little further into the end zone, then Lockett is wide open and Seattle scores.

I have seen breakdowns of the play which say basically that it worked for the Pats because Browner locked Kearse up at the line allowing Butler a lane to jump the route. Based on matchup Seattle was in trouble on the rub portion of the play, no way Kearse was going to drive Browner upfield, physical mismatch in Browner's favor.

The only problem I have with the "Dumb Call" argument is that if the play had been executed correctly by the players on the field, then suddenly the dumb call becomes a gutsy or even good call. I see this in football all the time where everyone jumps on the coach first but ultimately it came down to execution. If Kearse had drove his blocking assignment a little further into the end zone, then Lockett is wide open and Seattle scores.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's not as black and white as the general public is making it out to be.

With that said, in hindsight, yeah they should have run the ball. Just wanted to point out the other side of the argument.

If Kearse had done his blocking assignment further into the end zone it would have been an illegal pick. Don't know if it would have been called or not, alas.

And as peef said... a bad decision that works doesn't make it a good decision. It just made it a bad decision that worked.

Kearse bitching to the refs for a flag because he was prevented from setting a pick was my favorite underrated part of that play.

The whole point we are trying to make is that it's not a gutsy or good call if they execute it. It's a dumb call that worked.

I'm on board with that. I think generally, people tend to blame the play call first where maybe what they didn't know was the amount of game planning that may have went into the coach calling a specific play at a specific time. But yeah, agreed. The Seahawks should have rode Lynch there no matter what the clock situation was.

I'm on board with that. I think generally, people tend to blame the play call first where maybe what they didn't know was the amount of game planning that may have went into the coach calling a specific play at a specific time. But yeah, agreed. The Seahawks should have rode Lynch there no matter what the clock situation was.

Carroll made the same statistically bad decision at the end of the first half. He should have kicked the field goal. Instead he went for it, and it worked. It wasn't the by the book call, but he got away with it.

Dude rolled the dice one too many times.

What's interesting is how Seattle already seems to be coming apart at the seams. All the internal team turmoil from earlier in the season is bubbling up to the surface once again after this game.

They were able to put it all back together during the season... not so sure they'll be able to do the same now.

I don't think Carroll actually made the call so that Wilson could be the hero over Lynch, but if enough people in the locker room do...

Carroll made the same statistically bad decision at the end of the first half. He should have kicked the field goal. Instead he went for it, and it worked. It wasn't the by the book call, but he got away with it.

Dude rolled the dice one too many times.

What's interesting is how Seattle already seems to be coming apart at the seams. All the internal team turmoil from earlier in the season is bubbling up to the surface once again after this game.

They were able to put it all back together during the season... not so sure they'll be able to do the same now.

I don't think Carroll actually made the call so that Wilson could be the hero over Lynch, but if enough people in the locker room do...

It's funny you say that because that's exactly what I said to a friend I was watching the game with. Did Carroll get greedy and instead of securing a victory, did he attempt to write his own narrative?

Theyre going to try to extend Wilson at 100 million+ this offseason, and give Beast Mode a nice deal too.

If they don't win it next year, between that locker room and the personnel starting to turn over more because of dollars, it's going to be tough for them.

All wounds are healed by drafting well, and they already have a quarterback who can win them a Super Bowl. They're in better position moving forward than most teams in this league just because of that.

Before Sunday, 108 passes had been attempted from the 1-yard line in the NFL this season -- without a single INT

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

As a Giants fan, I'm excited for next season. If their top players can remain reasonably healthy, I think they'll have a highly competitive team. Plus, they won in 2007 and 2011. See a pattern here? 2015? :lol:

I'm happy for Tom Brady. The Pats hadn't won in 10 whole years and he had been twice denied by the Giants during that time. It's good to see him finally join elite Super Bowl company like Bradshaw and Montana.

I know the Packers don't dive into Free Agency very often, but when they do, it normally ends up being the right call (Charles Woodson, Julius Peppers).

There's a chance that both Patrick Willis and Jordan Cameron will be Free Agents this year. I would be extremely pleased if we signed either of them.

Maybe a change of scenery would do Cameron some good. He had a spark of something truly great two years ago, and clearly he hasn't been able to recover back to that point.

Before Sunday, 108 passes had been attempted from the 1-yard line in the NFL this season -- without a single INT

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Now this is an interesting stat.

On a side note, I posted on reddit yesterday about how I've never seen a worse play call in all of football, ever, and was immediately bombarded with comments of "dude, you've obviously never seen the Browns play!" and "stfu bucs fans see worse calls every week". How stupid do you have to be to think that a call made in garbage time during a week 7 blowout by a team that doesn't stand a bag of Doritos' chance at a stoner party is as important as one on the 1 yd line at the end of a Super Bowl when said play wins it for you outright? These people were adamant that there was no difference at all in the context :banghead:

It's a love/hate relationship I have with reddit.

At some point Jordan Cameron has to go from being a high ceiling guy to a guy who just can't play, though, right?

He was hampered by a shoulder injury very early in the season that only started improving when everyone stopped paying attention to Cleveland. Sounds like he should be fine. The only concern is that he's been somewhat prone to concussions, but nothing suggests that it's a huge career risk.

So basically he can be had for a good price and would be a significant talent upgrade at the TE position in Green Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At some point Jordan Cameron has to go from being a high ceiling guy to a guy who just can't play, though, right?

Oh, absolutely, but I'd like to see him with one uninjured season before I make that claim. If he gets through this next year without much harm falling him and he's STILL playing like he did this last year, or the second half of the year before? By all means, close the book on him.

Now this is an interesting stat.

On a side note, I posted on reddit yesterday about how I've never seen a worse play call in all of football, ever, and was immediately bombarded with comments of "dude, you've obviously never seen the Browns play!" and "stfu bucs fans see worse calls every week". How stupid do you have to be to think that a call made in garbage time during a week 7 blowout by a team that doesn't stand a bag of Doritos' chance at a stoner party is as important as one on the 1 yd line at the end of a Super Bowl when said play wins it for you outright? These people were adamant that there was no difference at all in the context :banghead:

It's a love/hate relationship I have with reddit.
If we're going to ignore context, I contend this as the worst play call ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlfnGfO1FX4
Oh, absolutely, but I'd like to see him with one uninjured season before I make that claim. If he gets through this next year without much harm falling him and he's STILL playing like he did this last year, or the second half of the year before? By all means, close the book on him.
That he's injury prone has to be part of the equation, though, which is part of my contention. It will be interesting both a) if he can do it and b) how much it helps his game.

Plus, if he played on a team that hasn't been a complete mess at the QB position, that could change some things too. He has the talent and skill to succeed so I'm definitely keeping my eye on him in Free Agency. Yeah, Julius Thomas would be my first option, but Ted Thompson will not get into a bidding war for the guy.

Yeah, all valid points. Hence my initial statement being that maybe (MAYBE) a change of scenery is what he needs. But I'd only give him the benefit of the doubt for one more season, tops.

So basically he can be had for a good price and would be a significant talent upgrade at the TE position in Green Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I'm ready to say significant now that we actually saw Rodgers playing a bit more there in the playoffs. He could easily emerge as the player we need, and we move on without picking anyone up.

But I'd rather err on the safe side, of course. If someone's available in free agency, go for him. Quarless is clearly not the answer and it's not like Finley was setting the world on fire. Though, obviously he's not even on the team anymore, but still.

EDIT: I see I never hit submit on this post. Whoops!

I'm not sure I'm ready to say significant now that we actually saw Rodgers playing a bit more there in the playoffs. He could easily emerge as the player we need, and we move on without picking anyone up.

But I'd rather err on the safe side, of course. If someone's available in free agency, go for him. Quarless is clearly not the answer and it's not like Finley was setting the world on fire. Though, obviously he's not even on the team anymore, but still.

EDIT: I see I never hit submit on this post. Whoops!

Yeah, my main concern with Richard Rodgers is his lack of speed. He's the kind of TE that the opposing team doesn't have to game plan for. I will give him credit for having good hands, specifically in traffic though. Dick Rod does need to improve his inline blocking from year 1 to year 2. He left a lot of blocks on the table, specifically against speedy DE's and LB's (yes, I'm a football nerd that actually watches the games later in the week focusing on specific positions).

If we're going to ignore context, I contend this as the worst play call ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlfnGfO1FX4

I remember watching that and being completely speechless, without speech.

I contend that doesn't really count for these purposes though, since it was just a boneheaded instinctual thing (a la DJax throwing the ball away on the 1-yard line) rather than a horrible play call, although since it is Andy Reid pacing the sideline, I'm sure it was awful and completely incorrect for the situation anyways.

ETA: I'm not even sure why Reid challenged that one, it's obviously not a forward pass, he obviously wasn't down, there was no question of who recovered the ball, so I guess it was just yet another excuse to throw away a timeout. Oh Andy Reid. The nostalgia brings nausea :cute::barf:

Redskins' swinging gate call vs. Philly always needs to be mentioned in discussions like this one.

All wounds are healed by drafting well, and they already have a quarterback who can win them a Super Bowl. They're in better position moving forward than most teams in this league just because of that.

It just occurred to me that Seattle needs one of these:

Giant_Fruit_Bat_by_Bellafira.jpg

Back
Top Bottom