NFL 2012 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't think for a second Harbaugh and Baalke didn't consider this scenario when making their pitch for Manning. They knew Smith might be gone as well and, as such, planned for any eventuality.

I have have a GAFian affinity for Smith (in the same way he loves Cutler) and I think that a second year in this system would benefit him greatly. He can, and will, improve. He'll come back with a chip on his shoulder and try to prove his doubters wrong. I think he'll re-sign with SF.

Colin Kaepernick, who both Harbaugh and Baalke are in love with and see as the future of the team. This was a gamble, a calculated gamble, for them, in my opinion. If Manning chose them, then he could be a bridge for Kaepernick when he's ready to start in 2 years time. If Manning had chosen the Titans, they would have picked up Hasselbeck to also act as that bridge if Smith would have gone somewhere else.

If Smith re-signs, he's out after 2 years anyway, as they feel Kaepernick will be ready by then.

Colin Kaepernick, who both Harbaugh and Baalke are in love with and see as the future of the team. This was a gamble, a calculated gamble, for them, in my opinion. If Manning chose them, then he could be a bridge for Kaepernick when he's ready to start in 2 years time. If Manning had chosen the Titans, they would have picked up Hasselbeck to also act as that bridge if Smith would have gone somewhere else.

If Smith re-signs, he's out after 2 years anyway, as they feel Kaepernick will be ready by then.

the problem is, in today's NFL, if you gamble, you better win. and i'm not exactly ready to count the 49ers, after one good season since steve young, as one of those franchises who can readily take gambles, lose, and still make out okay.

this idea that they're fine because colin kaepernick is the second coming of joe montana, but he won't be ready for two years... two years is a millennia in the nfl, thanks to the cap. great young players are phenomenal. great young players also grow into high prices free agents, and you can't keep them all.

Loved watching him in Nevada. I'm not as in love with Smith as you are, but I was also not that excited about Manning, who I think isn't going to last the season. However, at this point they need to keep Smith, especially since Seattle finally has a QB who can throw a forward pass.

Manninginginginging

483490_10150766155055934_775510933_11696295_624736381_n.jpg

i would have to guess that between jacksonville, miami and san fran... somebody will get smith, somebody will get tebow, and somebody will get a fork in the eye.

not as if getting tebow or smith would be a good thing, but i suppose it's better than giovanni carmazzi

It's going to be Miami.

And it's going to be a pitchfork.

Although I do hope San Francisco gets shat on as well.

Miami would be smart to raise the white flag this year and hope they can get Barkley next year. Because neither Smith nor Tebow is the answer for them long-term.

But I think they're going to panic-sign Smith.

Pfft. There's no fucking way I want Tim Tebow. Not even short term.

But no, I'd be cool with Smith coming over here on a 2 year contract. We could basically have two backup QBs fighting for that spot and draft a QB next year (hopefully Barkley).

If Tebow goes to Jacksonville, I assume it's in mostly in hopes of selling enough jerseys to somehow save that franchise.

Actually, Gabbert is such a shit QB that Tebow might be an upgrade.

If Tebow goes to Jacksonville, I assume it's in mostly in hopes of selling enough jerseys to somehow save that franchise.

Actually, Gabbert is such a shit QB that Tebow might be an upgrade.

Tebow would in fact be an upgrade. I saw a lot of Jacksonville football last year and nothing in Gabbert's game looked even remotely impressive other than the fact that he almost always used all of his downs to turn the ball over rather than throwing it or dropping it TOO much :p

I'm cool with Moore.

I'm not cool with Garrard.

Knowing the Miami FO, they probably think signing Garrard is signing a starting QB.

Shefter saying trade chatter is picking up regarding Tebow and three teams are in the hunt, so to speak: Jacksonville, Green Bay, and San Francisco.

Personally, I still feel that the Patriots will try to get him. Keep in mind that the man who drafted him, Josh McDaniels, is now back in New England. Not sure if that will be a factor at all, but it might very well be.

Green Bay? What? umm....i guess i'm ok with it because at least i know he's not going to start at QB. maybe get a 10 play per game package for him at H-Back while he learns the QB position?

I hope he doesn't go to Green Bay. I kind of quietly root for the Tebow, and it would be very difficult to do so if he were in Green Bay.

San Francisco would be cool with me.

Thompson basically never makes trades or signs big name free agents, and THIS is what he suddenly decides to pursue?! Can Tebow play OLB?

Back
Top Bottom