NFL 2012 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So definitely interesting that the Broncos may be the front runner now. I really don't feel like Denver has a lot of weapons of offense, unless Manning already knows that Wayne and Clark would sign there too. If I were him, I'd rather throw to Fitz and stay indoors at Arizona.

So definitely interesting that the Broncos may be the front runner now. I really don't feel like Denver has a lot of weapons of offense, unless Manning already knows that Wayne and Clark would sign there too. If I were him, I'd rather throw to Fitz and stay indoors at Arizona.

It might be a case of him assessing the other teams in the division. Sure, Arizona has Fitzgerald, but he would probably much rather play against lesser defenses in Oakland, for example, than against the 49ers' stellar defensive corps.

yeah, and i don't really think someone as good as Manning really looks at that as a deciding factor. he's made some great defenses look foolish during his career.

a lot of me wants to see him choose Denver just because the Tebow fallout would be as interesting as Peyton Manning's release.

As great as the 49ers D was, if they had a weakness, it was against the long ball.

True. But the guy is coming off multiple neck surgeries, and I don't think the Cardinals' O-Line can stack up against the 49ers' front 7 and give Manning the protection he needs.

I don't know enough about the Broncos, but a friend tells me their o-line is better than the Cardinals'.

Of course, this is before free-agency, where Manning's presence can help reshape a roster for teams that have cap space.

whatever the offensive line situation is whereever he goes... the o-line, good or bad, has not been HIS o-line before. his constant changing of plays at the line of scrimmage is different than most QBs, assuming he'll run the same offense he's always run... so there will be issues where ever he goes.

but obviously he'd rather go to a place that has fewer holes in the line to begin with and work with them.

Things get worse for the Skins: they're losing $36 million in cap space, according to Schefter. Dallas loses $10 million as well. Both are being penalized for trying to use the uncapped year to frontload contracts and avoid cap hits for big deals.

so now it looks like Manning is going to visit the Titans. i do wonder if he's holding out a bit for a real contender to come knocking on the door.

i just think both Denver and Arizona...and now Tennessee have a lot of holes to fill other than QB.

Just totally abandoned the Pack after Raji dd that commercial did ya?
Can't blame you there.

lol, i usually cheer for about 4-5 teams every year, just mainly the Packers because they're awesome and play about 5 minutes from my house.

Things get worse for the Skins: they're losing $36 million in cap space, according to Schefter. Dallas loses $10 million as well. Both are being penalized for trying to use the uncapped year to frontload contracts and avoid cap hits for big deals.

This hit can be split up over the next two seasons, meaning we'll push as much of it as is feasible to next season and make necessary cuts, which we've already started on. I have no idea how we'll be paying for a veteran backup for RG3 at this stage, which is a big deal, since Grossman is certainly gone. OL was always going to be addressed through 3rd and 4th round draft picks, it's just our way. Severely limits us, no doubt, but even if the 36 mil were split evenly, we would have 22 to work with this year, which isn't horrible. Disappointing, but not horrible.

I can imagine Snyder/Allen taking this to court, as there was no rule in place when the frontloaded contracts were signed (and the NFL approved them all), but the shitstorm it could cause probably outweighs the potential gains. This pisses me off because, to my understanding, the league is essentially assigning penalties retroactively based on rules they pulled out of their ass, but it is what it is. Maybe we'll make an appeal and lessen the hit. The NFLPA can't be OK with this.

Comments on the situation from Bruce Allen:

“The Washington Redskins have received no written documentation from the NFL concerning adjustments to the team salary cap in 2012 as reported in various media outlets. Every contract entered into by the club during the applicable periods complied with the 2010 and 2011 collective bargaining agreements and, in fact, were approved by the NFL commissioner’s office. We look forward to free agency, the draft and the coming football season.”

And Jerry Jones:

"The Dallas Cowboys were in compliance with all league salary cap rules during the uncapped year," the statement said. "We look forward to the start of the free agency period where our commitment to improving our team remains unchanged."

Funny shit. I get the impression that both franchises intend to play hard ball, perhaps extending to litigation. I'm totally cool with it, and I'm curious to see how rough Goodell can be with the two most lucrative franchises in the league, assuming they hit back. These responses are polite, flowery euphemisms for "go fuck yourself," so they probably will. There are some gaping holes in the league's argument that are damn near impossible to explain away in writing (my favorite: 20 teams spent above the 120 mil cap during the uncapped season, making the choice to punish a mere 10% of them a massive legal grey area that any decent lawyer could exploit), which is probably why they haven't issued an official statement to Jones or Snyder. I halfway expect a fine to be issued in place of the lost cap space so some formal penalty can be issued without stirring the ire of the two most monetarily powerful franchises in the NFL.

Goodell taking on those 2 franchises in particular would be a dangerous move for him, especially when it seems an arbitrary punishment with no real basis.

I think this gets settled quietly behind the scenes with a much smaller slap on the wrist (token fine or loss of a 7th round pick or something) to save face for the league, but I don't see how this cap space punishment as its been reported could possibly fly.

It's a relatively low-risk, high-reward move for the 49ers. At the very least it might open up things more for Davis, Crabtree, and whoever else they get at WR. And, laugh all you want, I have faith in Alex Smith. He will get better, improve and build on the 2011 season. I don't think he'll ever be an elite quarterback, but he can be a very good second-tier one.

Colston is off the FA market. 5 year extension from the Saints.

I'm positive the Skins will approach Vincent Jackson, now more than ever, actually. When the deal is sent through for approval, a picture of Bruce Allen flipping the double bird will be attached to the document.

Smith is decidedly better than most people thought, but it took a superior running game and top notch defense for him to finally have a decent year. So he can handle the caretaker QB role. I don't think you can put the whole team on his back and expect too much.

Moss could go either way. In his prime, it seemed like he could make any QB look better than he was (an aging Randall Cunningham, Matt Cassell and even Jeff George). He put Brady's numbers through the roof a few years back. However there were stints in Oakland, Minnesota and Tennesee where his performance ranged from disappointing to non-existant.

i actually think the Saints screwed themselves on the Colston deal. a lot of money going towards 2 bad knees.

Back
Top Bottom