NFL 2012 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BoMac said:
Apparently, RG3 ran a 4.38 40 at the combine.

It's going to be very interesting to see what St. Louis does with the #2 pick.

I can't wait to watch this guy in the NFL!

BoMac said:
Well, according to the NFL Network, RG3 has confirmed that he has had discussions with the Browns, Redskins, and Dolphins. Make of that what you will.

Come to DC! We'll overpay!

I think it's a no-brainer that they trade down. With a rookie cap, we will see more teams interested in trading up for specific players.

Except for the Patriots, of course.

Pats need to find a way to trade up and get Blackmon.
Give somebody the 2 1st rounders and the 2 2nd rounders to get him.

nfl season going to start on a wednesday due to democratic national convention

they were complaining about this on the radio this morning... which reminded me why i stopped listening to sports talk radio in the morning.

they were all rah rah it should start on thursday it always starts on thursday the nfl shouldn't change rah rah rah!

this thursday night season opener thing is only like 10 years old, if that. it's not as if it's been a tradition since the 60s. it's really that big a deal.

most sports talk radio is awful. i do really enjoy Steve Czaban though, even though he's a Republican. he normally keeps politics out of it though.

it's going to seem weird, and I don't like the break between Wednesday and Sunday either.

I think it's pretty cool. Every season there's always some quirks in the schedule. I'm sure the Pack are still feeling the sting of going 15-1 and not even making it to the NFC Championship game.

I think it's pretty cool. Every season there's always some quirks in the schedule. I'm sure the Pack are still feeling the sting of going 15-1 and not even making it to the NFC Championship game.

Yeah, I'm really hoping that it ends up being a blessing in disguise. Their secondary was beat up by injuries and opposing teams did a great job of limiting their blitz package by keeping them in their base package.

If they can find a pass rusher or two in the draft, they'll be even more dangerous next year and the years after that. They have a lot of young talent that will finally benefit from an offseason program as well.

They need a pass rusher more than anything. I'm hoping they have a good opportunity to get a DE or OLB. But I'd be ok with just about any defensive draft picks. Peprah/Burnett didn't work out at safety last year, and if Collins can't come back (or isn't what he used to be), we have problems.

I guess there was only room for one long haired blonde guy on the Pack's defense.

x2_b420756.jpg

uh oh. looks like the Saints might be put on "timeout".....or star in "Domino 2".

When I first saw the story Friday about the Saints 'bounty' system I thought that it was kind of stupid of them to do something like that in Roger Goodell's NFL and they were certainly going to get slapped with a fine for it, but this story is really starting to blow up with the usual suspects (Peter King at CNNSI, John Clayton at ESPN, etc.) in maximum bloviation mode about it. And I'm sure that Mike Greenberg will be frothing at the mouth for all four hours of his radio show tomorrow about how shocked and sickened he is and how SOMETHING. MUST. BE. DONE. Some articles are even suggesting that Saints players and coaches could be subject to criminal charges.

Maybe it's because I'm a Giants fan and remember well the teams from the late eighties whose players still boast about how many QBs they knocked out of games, but I just can't work up an outrage about this. Two of the probable main targets of the Saints, Kurt Warner and Brett Favre, have already publicly shrugged it off. But I'm afraid that all the media howling is going to encourage Goodell to really drop the hammer on the team and take multiple draft picks from them in addition to fines and suspensions and that would just suck for the fans. Maybe as more details come out I'll feel more strongly about it. I don't know.

I'm just grateful that the Skins got Williams off the team before anyone picked up on what was going on. We would be one of the main targets otherwise. As it is, we may face punishment, but it will be relatively minor. If it keeps us from RG3 imma throw something.

Personally, I'm not morally offended by any of this, but it's poor coaching to encourage big hits over fundamental tackling/wrapping up. I never liked Williams because he egged on LaRon Landry, wannabe assassin, early on in his career.

LM, how do you feel about Landry? He's been linked to the Packers in a couple free agency rumors.

Whenever you're calling for a safety blitz, Landy is your man. He's improving at tackling in space, which was a weak point for him. I'm not blown away by his coverage skills and never have been, and as far as being a playmaker is concerned, well, he's managed 10 takeaways in 5 seasons, most of them forced fumbles. I'm not especially impressed (although I think he's useful in certain situations, reminding me a bit of Rams/Redskins underachiever Adam Archuleta), but Redskins players have a habit of suddenly living up to their potential after leaving us. Don't break the bank.

A caution, then: Landry is a very decent strong safety, but he sucks the big one at free safety. Part of the reason the guy is such a sore spot for fans is because he replaced Sean Taylor at FS after his passing, and it immediately sunk his play (even at his best, Landry never could have replaced Taylor in the eyes of most fans). In 2010, he went back to SS and his performance improved substantially. I hope Capers gets that straight.

I'm just grateful that the Skins got Williams off the team before anyone picked up on what was going on. We would be one of the main targets otherwise. As it is, we may face punishment, but it will be relatively minor. If it keeps us from RG3 imma throw something.

Personally, I'm not morally offended by any of this, but it's poor coaching to encourage big hits over fundamental tackling/wrapping up. I never liked Williams because he egged on LaRon Landry, wannabe assassin, early on in his career.
Me too. Daniel Snyder's suicide mission for RG3 is one of my favorite storylines of the draft.

A caution, then: Landry is a very decent strong safety, but he sucks the big one at free safety. Part of the reason the guy is such a sore spot for fans is because he replaced Sean Taylor at FS after his passing, and it immediately sunk his play (even at his best, Landry never could have replaced Taylor in the eyes of most fans). In 2010, he went back to SS and his performance improved substantially. I hope Capers gets that straight.

If Collins can come back, or Woodson replaces him at FS, this sounds like it could be a huge upgrade at SS. Thompson rarely looks to free agency to fill any gaps, so I'd be surprised if this move actually happens.

Back
Top Bottom