NFL 2012 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He tried to drive off a cliff a couple of years back, maybe he was trying to kill himself then too.

He's the 8th member of the 94 chargers to die. BE CAREFUL NATRONE MEANS!

Initial reports say he shot himself in the chest, in the same manner that former NFL player Dave Duerson did last year. At the time, he had asked that his brain be donated to see what, if any, neuro-degenerative effects concussions had.

i still expect to see Junior Seau on Earth next year. early reports suggest that he's going to appeal.

Sad stuff, he was one of my favorite players in the '90's. One of the best linebackers of all time. RIP.

It's not just a concussion issue. The NFL does not give its retired players good benefits for health problems that develop later. It should not just be about whether or not they had problems directly related to playing the sport. They should be covered for all things.

Anyway, the NFL has a huge problem on its hands regarding concussions and allegations from former players that they were lax with player safety.

Yes, this. Terrible news all around, especially for his family. I hate to be a doomsayer, but I really think that within a decade this repeated head trauma issue is going to bring down the NFL, or at the very least reshape it into something unrecognizable.

iron yuppie said:
Yes, this. Terrible news all around, especially for his family.

One of the blogs I read posted a YouTube video of CNN footage showing reporters talking to his mom.

Thankfully I was at work and didn't watch it. The blog post has her saying "take me. Not my son.". That really bummed me out.

I went for an early dinner and saw his mom on the TV (classy restaurant, I know). No audio, but it was heartbreaking.

Would've never thought when I was collecting football trading cards as a kid that dude would've done this.

Yes, this. Terrible news all around, especially for his family. I hate to be a doomsayer, but I really think that within a decade this repeated head trauma issue is going to bring down the NFL, or at the very least reshape it into something unrecognizable.

I think it's quite possible that football as we recognize it now could dry up at the youth/school level, which would then choke off the supply of players to the NFL.

RIP Junior.

Not for nothing, Junior Seau was never listed on any NFL injury report as having a concussion. Doesn't mean he never had one and it went unreported, but the assumption in the media that this HAS yo be concussion related is presumptuous and irresponsible.

Postal workers go off the deep end, too. Just because he was a football player doesn't mean he had to be suffering from post concussion syndrome.

Post concussion syndrome is a huge problem that we're only now beginning to understand. And while its certainly possible that this case is related to that real problem, right now there's zero evidence to say that it is.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
Not for nothing, Junior Seau was never listed on any NFL injury report as having a concussion. Doesn't mean he never had one and it went unreported, but the assumption in the media that this HAS yo be concussion related is presumptuous and irresponsible.

Postal workers go off the deep end, too. Just because he was a football player doesn't mean he had to be suffering from post concussion syndrome.

Post concussion syndrome is a huge problem that we're only now beginning to understand. And while its certainly possible that this case is related to that real problem, right now there's zero evidence to say that it is.

Yeah I do like that Tim Brown came out and urged people not to jump to conclusions on this.

True, but shooting yourself in the chest vs. the head is a bit unusual.

maybe he was just depressed and clung to the concussion thing as an excuse for his problems. it is entirely possible that he tried to kill himself once before in a way that certainly would not have saved his brain for research.

and it's also possible that he never reported his concuscions and was suffering because of them. we really have no idea.

I'm sure we'll find out more following the autopsy and once researchers at Boston University's Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy study Seau's brain, which they've requested.

For what it's worth, his ex-wife said he has had concussions.

"Of course he had. He always bounced back and kept on playing," she told ESPN. "He's a warrior. That didn't stop him. I don't know what football player hasn't. It's not ballet. It's part of the game."

Additionally, who knows what other kinds of pain he might have been enduring, outside of concussions?

And maybe he simply didn't know what else to do with himself without football. This is a guy who unretired once, and tried to kill himself (probably) once before.

Its a tragedy regardless of the reasons. Just let it play out and see what happens before making mass assumptions on what it must be.

Chris Benoit killed his family and himself because if roid rage according to the media and everyone.... until they found out later that it was probably post concussion syndrome.

I was watching live when they first had his mother on. That was the most bizarre thing I've seen on live television, eclipsing watching the Palace Brawl live when it happened. Just totally nuts.

I can't understand how anybody could possibly be siding with anyone involved in a hitman program. That's the epitome of poor sportsmanship. It's disgusting.

wow, so you guys prefer to work for employers that can suspend their employees without providing them with any evidence other than "we know you did it"?

i wish i could get away with that with a couple of my employees.

the NFLPA is a union that negotiates the terms of their contract. any powers that goodell has that they are unhappy with? it's their own fault.

the commissioner of the NFL, and the league office as a whole, does not work for the players. they work for the owners, just as the players do. more or less they are consultants who's job is to increase revenue for their clients.

the ability for the commissioner and league office to suspend players is a right granted to him by the CBA as negotiated between the owners and the players. if the players, as a whole, dislike the new rules and regulations the league has put into place recently, then they should have negotiated that as part of the last CBA.

reality is the majority of the players agree with the new rules. you just don't hear from them. you hear from the very vocal minority.

now yes, there are a lot of people who work for the league office who i consider friends, not to mention my future wife was employed there for 5 years before taking her current job. so i have an obvious bias towards the work they do. but facts are facts... ratings and revenue have skyrocketed under goodell's leadership. they are leaders in the industry in CSR.

he's done a phenomenal job.

Back
Top Bottom