NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kobe is a bitch. Discuss. :wink:

I would hope they'd rescind that T. Just based on Varejao being the target...poll the league, 99% of the NBA would taunt Varejao in that situation. Anyone irritating enough to get Ray Allen throwing elbows is fair game for taunting in my book.

Plus, taunting T's are lame anyway. The biggest joke was when the guy (I forget who) got T'd for taunting when he finger-wagged at Mutombo. That's like the Chargers players whining about taunting when the Pats were doing the Merriman dance.

Could someone tell me where the whole "Skip to my Lou" thing came from? I hear it all the time and I feel like the only idiot in a room full of geniuses

blame ron naclerio.

rafer would "skip" when he dribbled in order to taunt his street ball opponents. ron naclerio, a rather smelly, disheveled man who coaches cardozo high school (and who apparently doesn't own a tie) videotaped some of this and sent it to And-1... the rest is history, and a large part of the distruction of american basketball.

an example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za8WK9h1PnY

needless to say if somebody tried to do these things to me in a real basketball game, they better only do it once... because the second time they're getting clotheslined.

it's a bunch of over done, useless fancy dribbling for the sake of dribbling that permiates throughout grassroots basketball today and is utterly useless in real basketball... which is why so few new york city point guards, as great as they are touted to be, end up ever making it in the NBA.

Howard's last two techs have been complete bullshit... neither of them will be rescinded either.

dribbling

OK that makes sense. I'd read it in a couple of places, but then Doug Collins whipped it out a game and I'm thinking "wow I'm so far out I can't even SEE the loop". Thanks.

It's interesting, I can't even imagine how hard it has to be for a guy to grow up playing street ball and being judged by his moves maybe more than on how good he actually is...and then trying to translate that to success on the high school, college, or even pro level. We talk about guys getting into bad habits...for these playground types who are used to being told how great they are, it must be a shock when a coach is telling them "bad habits" basically equals their entire repertoire.

I've been seeing mock drafts with Steph Curry going to the Knicks...

The stupid fucking puppet commercials make me hope neither team makes the Finals.

Wish I could go a week and a half back in time and take the Magic +800.

The stupid fucking puppet commercials make me hope neither team makes the Finals.

Wish I could go a week and a half back in time and take the Magic +800.

They are one circus shot away from sweeping the invincible Cavs. Incredible. They're also 2 bad calls away from being down 3-1, too. So there's that.

^ And one bone spur away from watching the C's and Cavs in the ECF :wink:

I'm thoroughly enjoying the gigantic Cleveland steamer the Magic are dropping on the NBA marketing machine. It would be sweet icing on the cake if Denver could add their own shitburger to the pile. I mean seriously, puppets?

Growing up in Daytona, I used to head down to Magic games in the early Shaq years. A business friend of my dad's had courtside seats, so my first real basketball experiences were very Magic-centric. I'm by no means a fan (I think you're a fan of one team and that's it), but I'm certainly happy seeing them do well.

^ And one bone spur away from watching the C's and Cavs in the ECF :wink:

I'm thoroughly enjoying the gigantic Cleveland steamer the Magic are dropping on the NBA marketing machine. It would be sweet icing on the cake if Denver could add their own shitburger to the pile. I mean seriously, puppets?

Yes, and the steamer ref had me reeling.

Growing up in Daytona, I used to head down to Magic games in the early Shaq years. A business friend of my dad's had courtside seats, so my first real basketball experiences were very Magic-centric. I'm by no means a fan (I think you're a fan of one team and that's it), but I'm certainly happy seeing them do well.

That's cool. I'm with you on the one-team allegiance things, but I do wonder about people who don't have a team in the immediate area. Do they latch onto their parents' teams? Or whatever team is geographically closest? I guess those people end up preferring college ball anyway.

As someone who lived there for a month off-season, I can only say I'm sorry.

I got to Texas as soon as I could, at which point I became not only a Texan, but an indie hipster and thief.

That's cool. I'm with you on the one-team allegiance things, but I do wonder about people who don't have a team in the immediate area. Do they latch onto their parents' teams? Or whatever team is geographically closest? I guess those people end up preferring college ball anyway.

Obviously I think geography is the chief determinate, but if you're in a city in the middle of everything, I don't know what to tell you. For example, I have no idea who you should be a fan of between the Rays and the Marlins.

For example, I have no idea who you should be a fan of between the Rays and the Marlins.

noose.jpg

My dad was born and raised in Chicago, so it was always Chicago teams when I grew up. Somehow, I became a Cubs fan even though my dad was a White Sox fan.

I grew up on both sides of Wisconsin. The teams to go for there were the Bucks, Brewers, Packers, or the Minnisota Twins, Timberwolves, or Vikings...and the North Stars, but I am not a hockey person. I am still disappointed that the Brewers moved to the NL. I used to go for them and the Cubs. Now, they are the "enemy."

Then I moved to Iowa. The team to go for there was the Hawkeyes. I now hate the Hawkeyes more than any team. They also had the Iowa Cubs. That was cool when the actual Chicago Cubs players were on their rehab assignment.

Now I live in Michigan. What...I'm supposed to be a Lions fan?

Headache, I found another great "taunting" play including your favorite, Mr Oakley.
YouTube - Charles Oakley celebrating in Larry Johnson's face

Obviously I think geography is the chief determinate, but if you're in a city in the middle of everything, I don't know what to tell you. For example, I have no idea who you should be a fan of between the Rays and the Marlins.

Tampa's closer, but I'd be hopping on the bandwagon at this point. If I loved baseball as much as I loved basketball, I'd have picked by now, I guess.

I guess Fisher actually making some of his shots tonight should be considered a good thing.

Higher score also tends to favor the Lakers...

Updated: Make that Fisher AND The Machine.

My choice was easy, living 30 minutes from the sports complex in South Philly. Though my mother is a St. Louis fan due to her roots, so it doesn't all run in the family.

I'm personally rooting for the Cavs and the Nuggets.

Back
Top Bottom