NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread Part 2 - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:10 AM
I'd like to continue on with the Howard talk. The question was what has he worked on. I can give a couple examples of things that he has gained. One, watch his footwork. Think about that move against the Cavs where he made a great spin move to the baseline. This is much improved. Two, he has a hook shot. It's a go to move that wasn't there before. Any big man will say that having that one move is important. Last, and this is important. Last game, they double teamed him and he knew where to pass the ball. This is something that is often hard for big men.

And...He didn't play college ball so he has had to learn all this and more against the top players only.

But more importantly than all that, he doesn't think he is as good as he can be. Like Headache mentioned, Howard himself said in an interview that he is only about 20% of what he could be.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #122
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:10 AM
Not only that, but he's only 23 freaking years old. Who are the other high school big men who stepped up at this level? Moses Malone? Kevin Garnett? That's good company.

If he's "only" getting 20+ pts and 14 rebounds a game based on pure athleticism, imagine how scary he'll be 2-3 years down the road.

Also, the best thing about the Magic in the Finals is that they have absolutely nothing to lose. All of the pressure's on Kobe and the Lakers to deliver, especially after what happened last season. And like the past two series' have showed, when the Magic are in the "underdog" role, then they thrive.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
“It’s hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them,” he said. “I’m a winner. It’s not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you’re not going to congratulate them. That doesn’t make sense to me. I’m a competitor. That’s what I do. It doesn’t make sense for me to go over and shake somebody’s hand.”

Whatever, LeBitch. It's poor sportsmanship, and to use his own metaphor, boxers routinely embrace at the end of matches after beating each other up.
This is the most ridiculous statement I have read in a while. Liesje says, "It sounds like he is a bad sport and can't handle the game of basketball."

After reading this, please tell me he doesn't hold himself above others.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Not only that, but he's only 23 freaking years old. Who are the other high school big men who stepped up at this level? Moses Malone? Kevin Garnett? That's good company.

If he's "only" getting 20+ pts and 14 rebounds a game based on pure athleticism, imagine how scary he'll be 2-3 years down the road.
Kwame Brown and Eddy Curry were great!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Also, the best thing about the Magic in the Finals is that they have absolutely nothing to lose. All of the pressure's on Kobe and the Lakers to deliver, especially after what happened last season. And like the past two series' have showed, when the Magic are in the "underdog" role, then they thrive.
Well, the Magic beat a Garnett-less Celtics and a Cavs team that has nowhere near the depth or variety of weapons as the Lakers have, a Lakers team that also is completely healthy, even if Bynum isn't playing up to potential.

And while some pressure may be on the Lakers because of their hype and promise, the more important point is that this group has been there already and tasted defeat. Conversely, this Magic team will be dealing with their first time on the big stage, and in my opinion that's just as much, if not more pressure.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #126
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:10 AM
I like the Lakers, but I like them in seven.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #127
Blue Crack Supplier

Most of the ESPN prognosticators are taking them in 6 or 7. Only one of the "experts" has the Magic winning at all.

Of course, most of them also picked the Cubs to beat the Dodgers last year...
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #128
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:10 AM
LeBron is the second biggest scumbo I know.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #129
Blue Crack Supplier

Ohioan Justice vs. Utahan Justice?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Most of the ESPN prognosticators are taking them in 6 or 7. Only one of the "experts" has the Magic winning at all.

That one hurt...
Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #131
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:10 AM
Big Grin

Quote:

And I think they unanimously picked the Lakers over the Celts last year.
Experts indeed.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #132
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
And I think they unanimously picked the Lakers over the Celts last year.
Experts indeed.
they did, indeed. the experts said boston had no chance, that the lakers were by far the superior team.

then after the series was over, the same experts said that the celtics were the better team and kobe still needs more help.

the experts said that mo williams was the missing piece for cleveland to get to the NBA finals, for which they were destined this playoffs.

then after the cavs lost, the same experts said that lebron needs more help and it's all the GM's fault.

the experts, more often than not, play to the popular thinking and often don't know dick about what they're talking about... or do know, but say what people want them to say for ratings and such.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #133
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Philk? View Post
I'd like to continue on with the Howard talk. The question was what has he worked on. I can give a couple examples of things that he has gained. One, watch his footwork. Think about that move against the Cavs where he made a great spin move to the baseline. This is much improved. Two, he has a hook shot. It's a go to move that wasn't there before. Any big man will say that having that one move is important. Last, and this is important. Last game, they double teamed him and he knew where to pass the ball. This is something that is often hard for big men.

And...He didn't play college ball so he has had to learn all this and more against the top players only.

But more importantly than all that, he doesn't think he is as good as he can be. Like Headache mentioned, Howard himself said in an interview that he is only about 20% of what he could be.
that move that you refer to... the inside pivot (sikma) face up, drive middle, spin back, keep your balance and go up and dunk... that is incredibly difficult for a big man who's just recently grown into his coordination, who has to read and react to the defense in a much smaller area than, say, a guard who has to read/react from 20+ feet.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #134
Blue Crack Distributor

to prove my point further (and because our network is down and i have nothing else to do)

i took 6 great bigs and 6 great wings from the past 25 years and found their 3 best statistical years.

the bigs - age of best year, age of second best year, age of third best year
ewing - 27, 28, 31
olajuwon - 32, 31, 33
robinson - 28, 29, 25
duncan - 25, 26, 27
garnett - 27, 26, 30
shaq - 27, 21, 22

i included shaq even though he's the exception to the rule, as he was dominant immediately... with shaq, the average age of the three best statistical seasons of all of these bigs is 27.5 years old (without shaq it's 28.3).

the wings
jordan - 23, 24, 26
miller - 24, 25, 31
drexler - 26, 25, 29
bryant - 27, 28, 24
pierce - 28, 24, 23
carter - 24, 28, 23

the average age of the three best statistical seasons of these wings is 25.6. even if you take jordan's early peak out, it's still 25.9.

so yea... (and yes, the network is still down)... wing players like lebron, kobe, jordan enter into their statistical prime faster than back to the basket players such as howard, ewing, olajuwon by about 2 to 3 years.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #135
Blue Crack Supplier

One of the featured stories on Yahoo:

King James left the playoffs as a loser - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Perhaps the media isn't going to let this one just get away...

It would be truly ironic for Kobe to have a great series, an emotional outpouring if he wins, and wind up becoming the people's favorite over LeBitch.

Tags
basketball, nba