NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think because if they had game two today, it would have gone:

Game 3--Monday
Game 4--Wednesday
Game 5--Friday

Stern probably wanted that (potentially series-winning) game on the weekend. Why he didn't just insert that extra day during a city change is beyond me. And it looks like there's another 3-day stretch between games 4 and 5, again while they're still in the same city.

Maybe Sunday is just a better ratings day than Saturday?

sunday is a better ratings day than friday or saturday because more people are home... more people go out on friday and saturday... meaning in all likelyhood the same amount of people, if not probably more, are actually viewing the game(s) on friday and saturday, but they're doing it at a bar, which means lower ratings, which means less advertising money... which is what it all comes down to. nobody cares about the fan, they just care about your wallet.

Assuming the Lakers take 1 of 3 in Orlando (and I have a hard time believing they could lose 3 in a row), they only have to win once more back home.

Theirs to lose at this point, really.

That's a play that's usually designed for Dwight, don't know what happened there.

The Magic can win all three in Orlando. But they've got to go to Dwight more.

He only had 17 points tonight on 10 field goal attempts. Can someone explain to me why he isn't getting more touches, why he isn't putting more points on the board? I've been studying for an exam, so I only watched the last possession of regulation plus overtime. Were the Lakers just covering him so well that that nobody could get the ball to him? Or is he not offensively good enough to score from <10 feet when someone is guarding him? I just feel like, for the superstar of the team, 17 points isn't enough in the finals. Every time a clutch score was needed, it isn't Dwight they went to, it was Hedo(who I love, but he's not supposed to be a main scoring option) and Rashard for threes that they only make 50% of on a good night(which tonight was in that regard). I don't know whether to blame SVG or Dwight himself or his teammates or the Lakers. Anyone care to shed some light on the subject?

It's a combination of him not being able to get a shot off because he lacks offensive skill and he gets the shit beaten out of him by about 3 guys every time. He also gets around 12-14 field goal attempts in a regular game unless he goes off for some monster numbers, also a good bunch off of offensive rebounds and put-backs. The lack of a transition game for the Magic has also dipped into his numbers a bit.

Hedo and Rashard settle for the 3 in those situations when they get beaten down physically, as Gasol, Odom and Ariza have been doing these past 2 games. Also, Rafer Alston being absolutely fucking terrible adds to it, along with a backcourt that's shaky at best in its current state. Pietrus fouling out was huge.

^ The refs miss dozens of calls per game, for both sides. It's just something you have to live with if you're a basketball fan. Tough game to officiate.

And Gasol's goaltend on the lob to Lee. That was iffy, so I don't mind it as much.

The Magic can win all three in Orlando.

Right...

Sure, anything CAN happen. The Lakers could win the next two and sweep. I don't think that's likely either. It's just far-fetched that they would lose three in a row to a team they matching up well with. They've blown them out once and then gone down to the wire and handled overtime like people who have been there before.

Right...

Sure, anything CAN happen. The Lakers could win the next two and sweep. I don't think that's likely either. It's just far-fetched that they would lose three in a row to a team they matching up well with. They've blown them out once and then gone down to the wire and handled overtime like people who have been there before.

May I direct your attention to the 2006 NBA Finals? The Mavs won the first two games on their court, and then the Heat won all three in Miami before coming back to win game 6 in Dallas to win the title.

It can happen.

May I direct your attention to the 2006 NBA Finals? The Mavs won the first two games on their court, and then the Heat won all three in Miami before coming back to win game 6 in Dallas to win the title.

It can happen.

The Lakers are not the Mavs, esp. having been to the Finals before (and that team isn't anywhere near as deep and talented), and the Magic are not the Heat (or at least, Howard and Turkgolu are not Shaq and Wade).

Again, anything can happen. You wrote it as if it was something that wasn't a longshot, and possible simply if Howard shoots more. It would also require the rest of the Magic besides Lewis and Turkgolu shooting with something approaching accuracy, and a meltdown by the Lakers, the latter of which is not going to happen in three straight games. If there's one thing Jackson has proven to be good at, it's adjustments.

It can happen.

May I re-direct your attention to his point, which was to analyze these two specific teams and how they match up and how they've been playing, and not some analysis of historical examples of the statistical probability a team wins a series down 2-0?

The Lakers are not the Mavs, esp. having been to the Finals before (and that team isn't anywhere near as deep and talented), and the Magic are not the Heat (or at least, Howard and Turkgolu are not Shaq and Wade).

Again, anything can happen. You wrote it as if it was something that wasn't a longshot, and possible simply if Howard shoots more. It would also require the rest of the Magic besides Lewis and Turkgolu shooting with something approaching accuracy, and a meltdown by the Lakers, the latter of which is not going to happen in three straight games. If there's one thing Jackson has proven to be good at, it's adjustments.

Exactly.

Where's impy to cue the Wade getting "fouled" clips?

I didn't say it was likely, but I also don't think it's a longshot. Lewis and Turkoglu did shoot over 50% from three point land tonight, I'd say that's pretty good. They played the Lakers right down to the wire tonight, they just needed to rely less on Hedo and Rashard hitting long jumpers and more on Dwight using his strength to get in close to the basket and score - even if he didn't score every time, he could've drawn fouls and stopped the clock while picking up some free points. Also, let's not underestimate the importance of the refs - the Magic will get more calls on their floor. It won't take a Lakers meltdown. Tonight's game wasn't any kind of blowout. It will just take Dwight scoring more, Hedo and Rashard keeping up tonight's 50% shooting, and the whole team guarding the Lakers reasonably well(which it seems like they did for the most part tonight), as well as improved decision-making down the stretch(that goes back to relying on Hedo and Rashard's jump-shooting too much).

I'm not saying it'll be easy by any means, I'm just saying I think it's more possible than you think.

I can guarantee you that the Magic won't get any more calls in Orlando than they would in L.A. If you've watched any of the games they played against Boston or Cleveland, you'd know that.

I think an LA sweep is much more likely than Orlando winning the next 3, unfortunately. That gives me no pleasure in saying that as I'd like to see Orlando make this one helluva series, and would be rather pleased if they did come from behind to take it all. But their chance to win this game came from a desperation cleverly crafted inbounds play, and once LA dodged that bullet they took care of business like a team that's been in crunch situations numerous times before.

I can see Orlando taking the next 2 (they pretty much have to win Game 3, anyway), but I can't see the Lakers allowing themselves to lose 3 straight.

RULE NO. 11-BASKETBALL INTERFERENCE-GOALTENDING

Section I-A Player Shall Not:
a. Touch the ball or the basket ring when the ball is using the basket ring as its lower base.
EXCEPTION: If a player near his own basket has his hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if his contact with the ball continues after the ball enters the cylinder, or if, in such action, he touches the basket.
b. Touch the ball when it is above the basket ring and within the imaginary cylinder.
c. For goaltending to occur, the ball, in the judgment of the official, must have a chance to score.
d. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched any part of the backboard above ring level, whether the ball is considered on its upward or downward flight.
e. During a field goal attempt, touch a ball after it has touched the backboard below the ring level and while the ball is on its upward flight.
f. Trap the ball against the face of the backboard. (To be a trapped ball, three elements must exist simultaneously. The hand, the ball and the backboard must all occur at the same time. A batted ball against the backboard is not a trapped ball.)
g. Touch any live ball from within the playing area that is on its downward flight with an opportunity to touch the basket ring. This is considered to be a "field goal attempt" or trying for a goal.
h. Touch the ball at any time with a hand which is through the basket ring.
i. Vibrate the rim or backboard so as to cause the ball to make an unnatural bounce.
PENALTY: If the violation is at the opponent's basket, the offended team is awarded two points, if the attempt is from the two point zone and three points if it is from the three point zone. The crediting of the score and subsequent procedure is the same as if the awarded score has resulted from the ball having gone through the basket, except that the official shall hand the ball to a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. If the violation is at a team's own basket, no points can be scored and the ball is awarded to the offended team at the free throw line extended on either sideline. If there is a violation by both teams, play shall be resumed by a jump ball between any two opponents at the center circle.

so the NBA, seeing as they like to overturn calls and all, will rule that Gasol clearly comitted goaltending and the series is tied at 1-1 right? right?

Gasol cleary made contact with both the net and the rim on Lee's shot, while it was still in question. Would the ball have gone in if Gasol hadn't hit the rim? probably not, but that's not the point. if the ball hits the rim, it is considered to still have a chance to go in. a ref can't be a judge of angels off the rim. that was a clear and obvious goaltending.

that said, lee still should have made the shot, and orlando could have still won in overtime. but they should have won the game before it even got to overtime if the refs had some nuts.

as to why howard isn't getting touches, that's pretty simple... he's being double teamed before he even touches the ball. the lakers are forcing them to go somewhere else. he has a man and a half on him at all times... the man who's guarding him, be it pao or bynum, and usually lamar odom, who sags down onto howard whenever he's on the strong side. it's probably why they went to Lee on the last play anyways... to use howard as a decoy.

i agree they need to find a way to get him open more, or at the very least do more to take advantage of how the lakers are playing them... more plays using him as a decoy, more screen/roll clearouts... i'd use howard more on the weak side, set up some screen/rolls and screen/pops with alston and either turkoglu or lewis... forcing the lakers to either help off of howard to defend the roll and/or drive, opening it up for him to get some dump offs or put backs.

i also think lewis and turkoglu need to crash the offensive glass more... howard gets his hands on almost every offensive rebound but the lakers are keeping 3 bigs back to make sure he doesn't come down with it... meanwhile the magic are already halfway down the court while the posession is still at hand. i know the magic's bigs, other than howard, are more outside players... but they need to mix it up and get a little dirtier if they want to have a chance.

if the lakers are going to continue to play this way, denying howard the ball, then the magic are going to be in deep shit unless they make some serious adjustments.

can they still win? yes... will they? maybe, but they're getting massively out coached right now by big cheif triangle (or more likely by tex winters and the rest of the staff while the big cheif sooths ego's)

Howard's goaltending on Gasol was more evident and yet not called. His hand went from underneath the basket and the net to block his shot and no call was made. So that even that out.

You highlighted that rule, but you didn't acutally read it. The contact with the rim needs to cause an unnatural bounce. Which it clearly didn't in real time or the replay. Lee just whips it off the backboard with no chance of it ever falling into the hoop. In fact it is the referees job to determine angles and to decide whether or not that ball would have gone in without the minor contact that gasol made with the rim.

You highlighted that rule, but you didn't acutally read it. The contact with the rim needs to cause an unnatural bounce. Which it clearly didn't in real time or the replay. Lee just whips it off the backboard with no chance of it ever falling into the hoop. In fact it is the referees job to determine angles and to decide whether or not that ball would have gone in without the minor contact that gasol made with the rim.

No, as Headache said, as soon as the ball hits the rim, it's considered to have a chance, and thus, by hitting the backboard, Gasol's play should be goaltending.

Back
Top Bottom