NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to continue on with the Howard talk. The question was what has he worked on. I can give a couple examples of things that he has gained. One, watch his footwork. Think about that move against the Cavs where he made a great spin move to the baseline. This is much improved. Two, he has a hook shot. It's a go to move that wasn't there before. Any big man will say that having that one move is important. Last, and this is important. Last game, they double teamed him and he knew where to pass the ball. This is something that is often hard for big men.

And...He didn't play college ball so he has had to learn all this and more against the top players only.

But more importantly than all that, he doesn't think he is as good as he can be. Like Headache mentioned, Howard himself said in an interview that he is only about 20% of what he could be.

Not only that, but he's only 23 freaking years old. Who are the other high school big men who stepped up at this level? Moses Malone? Kevin Garnett? That's good company.

If he's "only" getting 20+ pts and 14 rebounds a game based on pure athleticism, imagine how scary he'll be 2-3 years down the road.

Also, the best thing about the Magic in the Finals is that they have absolutely nothing to lose. All of the pressure's on Kobe and the Lakers to deliver, especially after what happened last season. And like the past two series' have showed, when the Magic are in the "underdog" role, then they thrive.

“It’s hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them,” he said. “I’m a winner. It’s not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you’re not going to congratulate them. That doesn’t make sense to me. I’m a competitor. That’s what I do. It doesn’t make sense for me to go over and shake somebody’s hand.”

Whatever, LeBitch. It's poor sportsmanship, and to use his own metaphor, boxers routinely embrace at the end of matches after beating each other up.

This is the most ridiculous statement I have read in a while. Liesje says, "It sounds like he is a bad sport and can't handle the game of basketball."

After reading this, please tell me he doesn't hold himself above others.

Not only that, but he's only 23 freaking years old. Who are the other high school big men who stepped up at this level? Moses Malone? Kevin Garnett? That's good company.

If he's "only" getting 20+ pts and 14 rebounds a game based on pure athleticism, imagine how scary he'll be 2-3 years down the road.

Kwame Brown and Eddy Curry were great!

Also, the best thing about the Magic in the Finals is that they have absolutely nothing to lose. All of the pressure's on Kobe and the Lakers to deliver, especially after what happened last season. And like the past two series' have showed, when the Magic are in the "underdog" role, then they thrive.

Well, the Magic beat a Garnett-less Celtics and a Cavs team that has nowhere near the depth or variety of weapons as the Lakers have, a Lakers team that also is completely healthy, even if Bynum isn't playing up to potential.

And while some pressure may be on the Lakers because of their hype and promise, the more important point is that this group has been there already and tasted defeat. Conversely, this Magic team will be dealing with their first time on the big stage, and in my opinion that's just as much, if not more pressure.

Most of the ESPN prognosticators are taking them in 6 or 7. Only one of the "experts" has the Magic winning at all.

Of course, most of them also picked the Cubs to beat the Dodgers last year...

Most of the ESPN prognosticators are taking them in 6 or 7. Only one of the "experts" has the Magic winning at all.

Of course, most of them also picked the Cubs to beat the Dodgers last year...

And I think they unanimously picked the Lakers over the Celts last year.
Experts indeed.

And I think they unanimously picked the Lakers over the Celts last year.
Experts indeed.

they did, indeed. the experts said boston had no chance, that the lakers were by far the superior team.

then after the series was over, the same experts said that the celtics were the better team and kobe still needs more help.

the experts said that mo williams was the missing piece for cleveland to get to the NBA finals, for which they were destined this playoffs.

then after the cavs lost, the same experts said that lebron needs more help and it's all the GM's fault.

the experts, more often than not, play to the popular thinking and often don't know dick about what they're talking about... or do know, but say what people want them to say for ratings and such.

I'd like to continue on with the Howard talk. The question was what has he worked on. I can give a couple examples of things that he has gained. One, watch his footwork. Think about that move against the Cavs where he made a great spin move to the baseline. This is much improved. Two, he has a hook shot. It's a go to move that wasn't there before. Any big man will say that having that one move is important. Last, and this is important. Last game, they double teamed him and he knew where to pass the ball. This is something that is often hard for big men.

And...He didn't play college ball so he has had to learn all this and more against the top players only.

But more importantly than all that, he doesn't think he is as good as he can be. Like Headache mentioned, Howard himself said in an interview that he is only about 20% of what he could be.

that move that you refer to... the inside pivot (sikma) face up, drive middle, spin back, keep your balance and go up and dunk... that is incredibly difficult for a big man who's just recently grown into his coordination, who has to read and react to the defense in a much smaller area than, say, a guard who has to read/react from 20+ feet.

to prove my point further (and because our network is down and i have nothing else to do)

i took 6 great bigs and 6 great wings from the past 25 years and found their 3 best statistical years.

the bigs - age of best year, age of second best year, age of third best year
ewing - 27, 28, 31
olajuwon - 32, 31, 33
robinson - 28, 29, 25
duncan - 25, 26, 27
garnett - 27, 26, 30
shaq - 27, 21, 22

i included shaq even though he's the exception to the rule, as he was dominant immediately... with shaq, the average age of the three best statistical seasons of all of these bigs is 27.5 years old (without shaq it's 28.3).

the wings
jordan - 23, 24, 26
miller - 24, 25, 31
drexler - 26, 25, 29
bryant - 27, 28, 24
pierce - 28, 24, 23
carter - 24, 28, 23

the average age of the three best statistical seasons of these wings is 25.6. even if you take jordan's early peak out, it's still 25.9.

so yea... (and yes, the network is still down)... wing players like lebron, kobe, jordan enter into their statistical prime faster than back to the basket players such as howard, ewing, olajuwon by about 2 to 3 years.

He's a good player, still young, and still has a lot of growing up to do.

Maybe we'll witness him mature as a person too..

LeBron could have ended the whole mess by coming out the next day and saying "sorry, I was caught up in the moment and frustrated, didn't think, congrats to the Magic, hope to get a shot at them again next year".
Even if he didn't mean it.
But instead he defends his actions, so he makes himself look like an ass.

lebron is an egomaniac... this is being exposed more and more as time goes by.

i dislike him. respect his ability, dislike the personality. would prefer he not come to new york, but will root for him if he does because i root for the uniform first. hopefully by then, if he does indeed come, he matures as a person... but i can only imagine how inflated his sense of self worth would become under the bright lights of new york city. he could become the a-rod of basketball.

he could become the a-rod of basketball.

I'm pretty sure he already is.

I can't wait to see how the 2010 FA season shakes out. The Celtics won't be involved in it, so I won't really have a dog in the fight, but there's going to be guys moving, deals happening, it should be really cool.

King James left the playoffs as a loser
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
Jun 1, 3:20 pm EDT

I’m a winner, King James proclaimed. So, there you go. That’s his reason for rushing out of the conference finals without so much as a nod to Dwight Howard(notes) and the Orlando Magic. That’s his reason for marching to the bus and letting the Cleveland Cavaliers’ spare parts take care of his responsibilities in the interview room.

Funny, but James stayed on the court to make sure the Detroit Pistons and Atlanta Hawks paid respect to him. As it turns out, there’s one thing allowed to happen at the end of a playoff series: Everyone bows down and kisses the King’s ring. Only, LeBron doesn’t have a ring. He’s never won a game in the NBA Finals.

So, yes, maybe they just have to kiss his feet.

“It’s not being a poor sport or anything like that,” James said.

No, nothing like that. Yes, James cares so much that it isn’t possible to be gracious and humbled.

You know me, he told the reporters in Cleveland on Sunday. I’m a competitor. “If somebody beats you up, you’re not going to congratulate them,” James said. “It doesn’t make sense for me to go over and shake somebody’s hand.”

Here’s the question: Who has the guts to tell him that he sounds like an immature, self-absorbed brat?

Here’s the problem for the Cavaliers and James: No one.

It won’t be Cleveland Cavaliers ownership, front office and coaches. It won’t be the NBA. It won’t be Nike. And it sure won’t be those childhood sycophants who surround James and tell everyone what a brilliant businessman LeBron is because they can answer the phone when corporations call for a famous pitchman.

LeBron doesn’t want to win more than Michael Jordan did, but Jordan could stop and shake a winner’s hand. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird could, too. Julius Erving did. Kobe Bryant(notes). Isiah Thomas led a walkout after losing to the Chicago Bulls after winning two NBA titles, but Joe Dumars never followed him. He stayed and shook Jordan’s hand, the way Jordan had always shook his when the Pistons had beaten him.

“M.J. had stopped, shook my hand and hugged me three straight years that we had beaten them in the playoffs,” Dumars once told me. “There was no way I was walking off the court without shaking the Bulls’ hands.”

Within the Cavs, someone needed to tell James that he embarrassed himself and the franchise, but that won’t happen. They’re too scared of him. Most league executives with knowledge of Cleveland’s operation believe it’s far more of an ownership issue, than basketball operations.

If general manager Danny Ferry and coach Mike Brown privately disdain the ridiculous posing for pictures that James started with his teammates on a 13-game winning streak, the owner is believed to see the foolishness as a marketing dream.

Someone should’ve told James that the pregame Polaroid act was belittling and beneath a championship contender, but it never happened.

All season, the Cavaliers acted too entitled, too arrogant for a team that’s won nothing. They ran out demanding that Mo Williams(notes) be made an All-Star, when the truth bore itself out in the playoffs: Cleveland has one All-Star. Nevertheless, Williams still embarrassed the Cavs with foolish proclamations and guarantees his middling talent couldn’t deliver.

“If you believe in karma with that nonsense,” one Western Conference executive said, “then Cleveland got what was coming to them.”

The Cavaliers are terrified of James. When you’re around them, it’s sometimes embarrassing to watch the way they tip-toe and grovel with him. In their defense, that’s how James wants it. As a childhood prodigy, that’s all LeBron’s ever known. The Cavs are at his mercy until he becomes a free agent in July of 2010, and that isn’t going to change. There’s no chance that he signs an extension this summer, because that would be the end of the drama, the intrigue and LeBron James(notes) isn’t letting that go away.

Now, Ferry goes back to the phones and starts work on surrounding James with championship talent. Cleveland is sure to revisit the Shaquille O’Neal(notes) talks with the Phoenix Suns, and James and his associates will send out word that, hey, we’ll go to New York unless the Cavs deliver him his title. Well, they’ve reached the NBA Finals and had the best record in the NBA within the past three seasons, so they must have surrounded James with something that works there.

Nevertheless, James distanced himself in losing again, after a season in which he sold himself as all for one, and one for all. James had been an MVP until the very final moments of the basketball season, and then, he embarrassed himself and acted like a petulant kid. In a world where everyone in his life is too fearful or too dependent, LeBron James goes into the summer believing his own nonsense that he walked out of this season a winner.

As usual, there’s no one to tell him.

Except maybe now, Kobe’s puppet.

I'm pretty sure he already is.

well i don't mean he'll be like a-rod in that he's the best and will shatter records... i mean in that he's so full of himself and into his own self image that he will be exposed as a joke under the constant microscope of new york... while being the best and shattering records and all.

i wonder what the nba's steroid testing policies are :hmm:

lebron-james-high-school.jpg

lebron-james.jpg

Yeah that's what I meant too, but yeah, it will be even better in NYC. But the steroid thing, that's just mean. But I'll go with it..."LeBron stormed off the court after losing to Orlando in a fit of anger no doubt 'roid-enduced".

And I love that article. I would take it out, buy it dinner, drinks, and later make sweet passionate love to it. I was waiting for someone to have the balls to write that.

I can't wait to see how the 2010 FA season shakes out. The Celtics won't be involved in it, so I won't really have a dog in the fight, but there's going to be guys moving, deals happening, it should be really cool.

Your boy Ray is up after 2010 (Pierce in 2011, KG's knee in 2012), be sure the Celts set up the contracts of the big 3 to expire one at a time in succeeding years intentionally to replace them as they age, and be sure the Celts will be in the 2010 FA derby at some level, likely not LeBron, but some other fairly large fish will be sought.

Yeah that's what I meant too, but yeah, it will be even better in NYC. But the steroid thing, that's just mean. But I'll go with it..."LeBron stormed off the court after losing to Orlando in a fit of anger no doubt 'roid-enduced".

haha i know it's mean... but if somebody increased their muscle mass by that much in 4 years in baseball, nobody would believe they were clean... unfailry, btw... 'cause it's entirely possible to double your size by simply working out.

Your boy Ray is up after 2010 (Pierce in 2011, KG's knee in 2012), be sure the Celts set up the contracts of the big 3 to expire one at a time in succeeding years intentionally to replace them as they age, and be sure the Celts will be in the 2010 FA derby at some level, likely not LeBron, but some other fairly large fish will be sought.

I don't know. They're going to have Rondo to deal with, and Perkins unless they're planning on signing a FA big somewhere along the way. Personally I'm fine with Perk as the starting C but I'm beginning to worry about his shoulder being a chronic thing. I think if they want to fit another big contract in they can, because they'd still be able to extend Rondo...but I don't know how far into the tax they'll want to go.

That's the link I posted before, guys.

No one bothered to click?

You did. My bad. I'm lazy about linkies sometimes.

So if Bron-bron does end up in NY does he get the Spike Lee movie treatment? Because he would so eat that up.

haha i know it's mean... but if somebody increased their muscle mass by that much in 4 years in baseball, nobody would believe they were clean... unfailry, btw... 'cause it's entirely possible to double your size by simply working out.

It doesn't look more ridiculous than pictures of Tracy McGrady, Dwight Howard, and other high school guys after 2-3 years in the league. Hell, just compare Dwight now to how skinny he was in high school and it's jarring. Still has a tiny head though.

You did. My bad. I'm lazy about linkies sometimes.

So if Bron-bron does end up in NY does he get the Spike Lee movie treatment? Because he would so eat that up.

Hell, Kobe did his work out in LA and Spike fawned on him there. When LeBron goes to New York, does that mean it's fair game for Whoopi to star in Eddie 2?

Bill Simmons: NBA Finals preview for Los Angeles Lakers and Orlando Magic - ESPN

When [LeBron] caused a controversy by storming off the court after Game 6 and refused to attend [his] press conference, [he] did something even better: [he] brought us back to the days when "rivals" didn't hug each other like Red and Andy after every game, when NBA stars actually took losing personally and treated their peers like enemies instead of friends. I loved it. That was an old-school move. And as reader Brian Naftaly points out, [he's] accomplished something even better: [he] made [his] teammates cover [him] in the postgame press conference, marking the first time all series they did something or helped [him] in any way. That was genius. Hold your head up high, LeBron James. You could not have done more with the possible exception of coaching the team … and really, that might not have been a bad idea.

Interesting contrast to the discussion going on in here.

Back
Top Bottom