NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread Part 2 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
chauncy billups saw this first hand before. it's how the pistons won their title.

Completely right, I remember that series.
__________________

__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,283
Local Time: 07:32 PM
I don't know where else to put this but I'm watching the National Spelling Bee on ESPN right now and it's awesome.
__________________

__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,003
Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
What I want to know is, how does one become a Clippers fan? I mean seriously, the Lakers are right there...is it like making a life statement? Is there like an underground Clips counterculture? I seriously can't understand it.
I guess they're for locals who have some kind of irrational aversion to the Lakers, maybe?

Perhaps it's similar to why there are Angels fans.

Personally I think they should move the Clips to San Diego, where they can give them a new name and people might actually give a shit.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 02:32 PM
That's the same thing as Jets and Giants though, isn't it? They play in the same building which isn't even in New York. How do you decide that one?

At least Mets/Yankees and Sox/Cubs have territorial distinctions within the city.
__________________
impy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,003
Local Time: 05:32 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess the Angels are for Orange County folk, which is in some ways the New Jersey of Los Angeles. Clippers...I don't know who the hell that team is for.

Okay, apparently the Clippers were originally in Buffalo as the Braves, and then moved to San Diego, became the Clips from 1978-84, and then came up here due to poor attendance. Makes more sense.

Strangely, their attendance numbers in Los Angeles aren't too bad, even when compared to the Lakers:

CLIPPERS
Year Total Avg
2006-07 755,261 18,421
2005-06 712,409 17,375
2004-05 696,181 16,980
2003-04 665,396 16,229
2002-03 706,471 17,231
2001-02 740,185 18,053

LAKERS
Year Total Avg
2006-07 778,415 18,985
2005-06 774,189 18,882
2004-05 770,494 18,792
2003-04 777,657 18,967
2002-03 777,788 18,970
2001-02 778,777 18,995
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,003
Local Time: 05:32 PM
Is tonight's game even worth watching? I'm guessing Cleveland wins by 15+.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #52
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,237
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Is tonight's game even worth watching? I'm guessing Cleveland wins by 15+.
I wouldn't be surprised if Orlando ends it tonight, actually.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 08:32 PM
Cleveland's mismatch problems with Hedo and Rashard aren't going to go away just because they're in Cleveland.
__________________
namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,366
Local Time: 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
That's the same thing as Jets and Giants though, isn't it? They play in the same building which isn't even in New York. How do you decide that one?

At least Mets/Yankees and Sox/Cubs have territorial distinctions within the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess the Angels are for Orange County folk, which is in some ways the New Jersey of Los Angeles. Clippers...I don't know who the hell that team is for.

Okay, apparently the Clippers were originally in Buffalo as the Braves, and then moved to San Diego, became the Clips from 1978-84, and then came up here due to poor attendance. Makes more sense.

Strangely, their attendance numbers in Los Angeles aren't too bad, even when compared to the Lakers:

CLIPPERS
Year Total Avg
2006-07 755,261 18,421
2005-06 712,409 17,375
2004-05 696,181 16,980
2003-04 665,396 16,229
2002-03 706,471 17,231
2001-02 740,185 18,053

LAKERS
Year Total Avg
2006-07 778,415 18,985
2005-06 774,189 18,882
2004-05 770,494 18,792
2003-04 777,657 18,967
2002-03 777,788 18,970
2001-02 778,777 18,995
But what sets the Clips/Lakers thing apart from Giants/Jets or Yankees/Mets or whatever is the extent to which the Lakers and Clippers are polar opposites when it comes to NBA success. It would be cool if there was a rivalry, but there's not...it's like a rivalry between a hammer and a nail.
__________________
CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Got Philk?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
Posts: 6,875
Local Time: 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Is tonight's game even worth watching? I'm guessing Cleveland wins by 15+.
I hope you're watching...
__________________
Got Philk? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London/Sydney
Posts: 6,608
Local Time: 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Strangely, their attendance numbers in Los Angeles aren't too bad, even when compared to the Lakers:
Big enough city + Lakers tickets, I'm guessing, are way more expensive/harder to come by? At least comparatively, quality of seat wise. If you're a big basketball fan first and foremost, I guess it might be a matter of paying $X to see the Lakers play San Antonio from Row ZZZ on Wednesday, when on Thursday you can pay half that to be twice as close to see the Clippers play Phoenix. Or whatever.
__________________
Earnie Shavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #57
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,039
Local Time: 12:32 PM
That's why they call him King James...
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,426
Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
That's why they call him King James...
thanks, i was still trying to figure that one out. i thought it had something to do with the bible.

seriously though, i think it's great that we now anoint somebody as "king" and "chosen one" and that we are all "witness" to his greatness before he's even won a championship.

even jordan needed to win a ring before we declared him the best in the league, let alone of all time.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,426
Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
But what sets the Clips/Lakers thing apart from Giants/Jets or Yankees/Mets or whatever is the extent to which the Lakers and Clippers are polar opposites when it comes to NBA success. It would be cool if there was a rivalry, but there's not...it's like a rivalry between a hammer and a nail.
well...

frankly the only difference between the jets and the clippers is that the jets won a title 30 some odd years ago. other than that the two franchises have been fairly equal in their awfulness.

the mets have also been pathetic, but they've managed to be good and pathetic at the same time.. certainly different than the clippers.

so the jets are the clippers to the giants lakers, while the mets are more like the red sox to the yankees, um, yankees. well, at least the pre-2004 versions.

and there's really no geographic falling of fans for either team... it's more of a generational thing.

the jets used to have a slight hold on long island based that their practice facilities were at Hofstra while the Giants were up in Albany, and parents could take their kids to see pre-season workouts and all that... but the Jets and Giants will now both hold pre-season in Jersey as part of the deal with the new stadium, meaning both teams fans will now be decided upon generational (where the giants have a clear edge) and performance (ditto).

well done, Jets. well done, indeed.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #60
Refugee
 
U2ME3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,750
Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
thanks, i was still trying to figure that one out. i thought it had something to do with the bible.

seriously though, i think it's great that we now anoint somebody as "king" and "chosen one" and that we are all "witness" to his greatness before he's even won a championship.

even jordan needed to win a ring before we declared him the best in the league, let alone of all time.
Headache-

Over the years I have come to respect your sports knowledge especially when it comes to basketball but championship or not, LeBron James is the best basketball player on the planet. Doesn't play on the best team but still just a better basketball player than the rest. And yes, that does include Kobe.

The whole "king," "chosen one" and "witness" crap is the sports media doing what they do best....blowing everything thing way out of proportion. James' PR machine is also to blame for it. I agree with you and think it's so stupid myself. Yet, James, at 24, is just an amazing talent. And the scary thing is, he will get better. He will get better as a Knick but that's another conversation. If you don't believe in James' game, go ahead and re-watch the fourth quarter from last night's game.

Hope all is well and Go Cavs!

m
e
3
__________________

__________________
U2ME3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
basketball, nba

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com