NBA Basketball 2008-09: The Thread Part 2 - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #286
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Lakers will win the Championship on Sunday.
Old reliable; Fish strikes again.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #287
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Just in case anyone wondered about this guy;

He was sitting 3 rows in front of me on the last Lakers game I attended and we all were like wtf? who is this guy? He was court side next to Penny Marshall.
I keep on seeing him in different playoff games and here's why;

"James F. Goldstein, (born in 1943) is a multi-millionaire "NBA superfan" who attends over one hundred NBA games each season (typically in courtside seats), including approximately 95 percent of home games for the Los Angeles Lakers and the Los Angeles Clippers. He also travels from city to city to catch games, especially during the NBA Playoffs (and not necessarily Lakers and Clippers playoff games). He also frequently attends post-game press conferences. His unique and flamboyant clothing makes him fairly easy to spot on television. His passion for the NBA has been featured in USA Today, the Detroit Free Press, the Wall Street Journal, the Boston Globe, and ESPN the Magazine.
"He has so much invested in our sport," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "He probably has the largest investment of any fan in America, so we get a kick out of him. He has got quite a flair, and we love him as a sort of a superfan."
The son of a Milwaukee department store owner, Goldstein said he began watching NBA games as a 10-year-old. [1] At the age of 15 he was hired to keep game statistics by the Milwaukee Hawks.[2] "Once I did that and sat courtside for the games, I was totally hooked," he said. "My entire life has been devoted to professional basketball since then. I have such a passion for the game. I think there's more athleticism displayed in basketball than in any other sport."[3] He has also befriended several current and former NBA players, including Wilt Chamberlain, Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Cassell, and Dennis Rodman.
Unlike some other "super fans," however, Goldstein is content to simply observe the games and enjoy them, without yelling at referees or taunting players. He claims to have no favorite team, in spite of his Lakers and Clippers season tickets. He describes himself as a fan of the NBA in general.[4]
Goldstein refuses to disclose how he made his fortune or his net worth, although the Wall Street Journal speculated that Goldstein made billions in real estate (notably Century City in Los Angeles). [5] When asked, he typically responds, “Let’s just say I had some investments that worked out pretty well." He reportedly spends in excess of six figures on travelling to and attending NBA games. "I try not to think about the cost," he said. "It's worth it to me."

Old 06-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #288
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'm not saying Kobe didn't make contact with Nelson, but there's no way to know how hard that was
What? Did you watch that replay? Kobe clearly connected solidly with Nelson's chin. That seemed just as cut and dried to me as Dahntay Jones' trip - both obvious fouls that should've been called. Except this one resulted in a wide open Fisher three that arguably changed the outcome of the game.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #289
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:42 AM
when it's all said and done... if the magic lose this series, which i believe is inevitable now, they're going to have to live with the fact that they absolutely blew two games in the final minute.

that's gonna be a tough pill to swallow in the offseason.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #290
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I'm not saying Kobe didn't make contact with Nelson, but there's no way to know how hard that was, he could have been overreacting to draw the foul.

That Jones trip was a lot more cut-and-dried.
umm, no
Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #291
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post

He was sitting 3 rows in front of me on the last Lakers game I attended and we all were like wtf? who is this guy? He was court side next to Penny Marshall.
I keep on seeing him in different playoff games and here's why;

"James F. Goldstein, (born in 1943) is a multi-millionaire "NBA superfan" who attends over one hundred NBA games each season (typically in courtside seats), including approximately 95 percent of home games for the Los Angeles Lakers and the Los Angeles Clippers. He also travels from city to city to catch games, especially during the NBA Playoffs (and not necessarily Lakers and Clippers playoff games). He also frequently attends post-game press conferences. His unique and flamboyant clothing makes him fairly easy to spot on television. His passion for the NBA has been featured in USA Today, the Detroit Free Press, the Wall Street Journal, the Boston Globe, and ESPN the Magazine.
"He has so much invested in our sport," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "He probably has the largest investment of any fan in America, so we get a kick out of him. He has got quite a flair, and we love him as a sort of a superfan."
The son of a Milwaukee department store owner, Goldstein said he began watching NBA games as a 10-year-old. [1] At the age of 15 he was hired to keep game statistics by the Milwaukee Hawks.[2] "Once I did that and sat courtside for the games, I was totally hooked," he said. "My entire life has been devoted to professional basketball since then. I have such a passion for the game. I think there's more athleticism displayed in basketball than in any other sport."[3] He has also befriended several current and former NBA players, including Wilt Chamberlain, Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Cassell, and Dennis Rodman.
Unlike some other "super fans," however, Goldstein is content to simply observe the games and enjoy them, without yelling at referees or taunting players. He claims to have no favorite team, in spite of his Lakers and Clippers season tickets. He describes himself as a fan of the NBA in general.[4]
Goldstein refuses to disclose how he made his fortune or his net worth, although the Wall Street Journal speculated that Goldstein made billions in real estate (notably Century City in Los Angeles). [5] When asked, he typically responds, “Let’s just say I had some investments that worked out pretty well." He reportedly spends in excess of six figures on travelling to and attending NBA games. "I try not to think about the cost," he said. "It's worth it to me."
THAT'S WHO THAT IS!

I just thought the preacher from Poltergeist and Dick Bavetta had a lovechild.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #292
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post

Imus really is desperate to put that whole Nappy Headed Ho/I'm a Racist thing to bed, isn't he?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #293
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
What? Did you watch that replay? Kobe clearly connected solidly with Nelson's chin. That seemed just as cut and dried to me as Dahntay Jones' trip - both obvious fouls that should've been called. Except this one resulted in a wide open Fisher three that arguably changed the outcome of the game.
That's why I said there was definitely contact. But how do you know how hard he was hit? Do you think it was hard enough to send Nelson to the floor? Or was Nelson trying to draw a foul? The refs missed a call, that's for sure. But I don't think Kobe fouled him flagrantly.

Also, even if Nelson doesn't hit the deck, Fisher still gets that shot off.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #294
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
That's why I said there was definitely contact. But how do you know how hard he was hit? Do you think it was hard enough to send Nelson to the floor? Or was Nelson trying to draw a foul? The refs missed a call, that's for sure. But I don't think Kobe fouled him flagrantly.

But there's the difference between an uncontested shot and a shot with a hand in his face.

I had seats at the opposite end of the basket, so I couldn't see the elbow to the face, but was more egregious was the foul on Nelson with Gasol about to go on a piggyback ride the play beforehand. Gasol's arm was hooked under, but that's just a no-call at best in that type of situation, I think.

Not blaming the loss on this, but damn, it still stings.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #295
Blue Crack Distributor

fisher doesn't neccesarily get the shot off if nelson doesn't fall...

i don't think it was flagrant at all... it certainly was an offensive foul.

also, i may have done the exact same thing michael pietrus did at the end of the game. the game is over, there's no reason to score a basket... hold the ball, dribble it out. frankly pao's dunk was more classless than pietrus' flagrant foul.

all that said... the magic still have had two games in which they had control of the game with under a minute to go in which they have lost. bad ref calls aside, that will haunt them forever... unless they can do the unlikely and win the next 3 games.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #296
Blue Crack Distributor

it's nike/lebron conspiracy time!

YouTube - Nike MVPuppets "LeBron 2010" (in HD)

note the bird in the foreground... more specifically the colors of the bird...
Old 06-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #297
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:

Again, did you see the replay? That shot was clearly enough to send Nelson to the floor. I don't think it's a flagrant either, but it's definitely a foul, as Headache said. Also, I agree that Fisher would've gotten the shot off, but Nelson would've at the very least been able to rush him and possibly force him to alter the shot.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #298
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

When I went to see Up tonight, I saw Dwight walking out of the theater with a few of his buddies. If I wasn't in awe, I would've yelled at him, then felt terrible afterward. He's like a giant teddy bear, you can't help but love him.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #299
Blue Crack Distributor

michael jordan goes to atlantic city till 3 in the morning before playoff games, dwight howard goes to see cartoons.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #300
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
michael jordan goes to atlantic city till 3 in the morning before playoff games, dwight howard goes to see cartoons.
One wonders what hijinks Isaiah Thomas might be up to...

Tags
basketball, nba