NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FBI concludes that Donaghy is telling the truth...

ESPN - NBA's pursuit of restitution from Donaghy a blunder - NBA

Is the FBI investigating Donaghy's allegations? Will others be charged with crimes?

The FBI already has investigated the allegations. Donaghy first met with FBI agents in July 2007. A team of agents has been probing his stories ever since. As the result of their investigations, federal prosecutors have filed what is known as a 5(k) letter. The 5(k) letter means the agents have checked on the stories and have concluded Donaghy was truthful. The 5(k) letter does not apply to the 2002 Western Conference finals Game 6 because the statute of limitations had expired. More than five years went by before Donaghy described that game to any agents. There was no reason to look into that game because no one could be charged with a crime. The 5(k) letter does apply to statements Donaghy made to agents regarding the three games in 2005. The information could result in a reduction of Donaghy's prison sentence when Amon sentences him July 14. He faces a maximum of 33 months in prison under federal guidelines.

Although the FBI has concluded Donaghy was truthful, it does not mean others will be charged with crimes. Agents and prosecutors easily could have concluded that the rigging of the four games was reprehensible but did not qualify as a federal crime. There was no indication of gambling or money laundering or racketeering on the part of the NBA in Donaghy's allegations. If the NBA wants to extend a series to a seventh game, it might be fraud upon the fans, but it is not a federal crime.

The letter also alleges that during a 2005 playoff series, "Team 3 lost the first two games in the series and Team 3's Owner complained to NBA officials. Team 3's Owner alleged that referees were letting a Team 4 player get away with illegal screens. NBA Executive Y told Referee Supervisor Z that the referees for that game were to enforce the screening rules strictly against that Team 4 player. Referee Supervisor Z informed the referees about his instructions. As an alternate referee for that game, Tim also received these instructions."

this is the only thing that the FBI looked into. it does not prove for a second that the NBA rigged games, which even Van Gundy doesn't believe. what it proves is that the NBA received a complaint from Mark Cuban, looked into it, saw it had validity, and alerted their refs that yes, in fact, Yao is getting away with illegal screens.

it's highly irresponsible by that espn.com columnist to insinuate that because the FBI concluded that what donaghy said was "truthful" means that the NBA did it because they wanted to extend the series to 7 games. that's a huge jump to conclusions, and there is absolutely no proof of that.

if a ref watched the first 5 games of this year's NBA finals, and observed that a certain player was getting away with a certain type of foul and/or violation, and then that ref was scheduled to ref game 6, sees the same foul/violations that have been ongoing but overlooked, largely because it was in his head from watching tv, and calls said fouls/violations that have been overlooked thus far in the series... is that ref rigging the game?

of course not. so how in the hell can one conclude that because the NBA noticed that a player was getting away with a foul/violation and told it's refs about it that they're trying to rig the series?

a+b does not equal c

grant's stats did take a slight uptake, but grant's stats took a big drop off when he left chicago for orlando, and pippen's stats had a significant drop off after leaving chicago as well. yes, guys get older... but they normaly don't have significant drop offs in one season at age 33.

I'll agree with Pippen, but Horace Grant's numbers didn't decline while he was in Orlando. See for yourself. Horace Grant Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

That said, you could easily argue that his numbers stayed the same because of Shaq or Penny Hardaway...

I'll agree with Pippen, but Horace Grant's numbers didn't decline while he was in Orlando. See for yourself. Horace Grant Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

That said, you could easily argue that his numbers stayed the same because of Shaq or Penny Hardaway...

last 5 years in chicago - 13.72 points, 9.31 rebounds per game
5 years in orlando - 12.13 points, 8.68 rebounds per game

they did take a slight downtake... rebounds can be explained away by being next to shaq, but the points are down 1.5 points per game. his shooting percentage over the 5 years was also down, while his attempts per game remained relatively close.

huge differences? no... but his best two statistical season came with chicago, his third best season was with orlando, and then his 4th and 5th best seasons were with chicago again.

so yes, the drop off wasn't as dramatic as when pippen left chicago... but his best season were still while playing next to jordan.

and i still think oakley was better :wink:

pau_gasol_against_atlanta_feb_19.jpg

Pau Gasol's beard is a registered conspiracy theorist.

He LOVES david stern.

Will the Laker fans in attendance hire Jeff Nelson and Karim Garcia as their bodyguards? Who is Karim Garcia???

If the Celts lose tonight and this goes 7 I'm going to be absolutely fucking worthless at work the next 2 days.

Refs have been announced for tonight's game:

NBA.com: NEWS

Kill me now. At least Tim Duncan isn't a Celtic.

It kind of makes sense to trade down, especially if Walsh really likes Alexander. And Michael Redd can play.

Crawford just bugs me because he's kind of the basketball version of the hollywood umpires who think fans are there to see them call games and toss people. Rush is OK. I think this crew actually did game 3, and I don't recall any specific beef I had with them. I'm just setting up a pre-bitch so I can say "what did I tell ya" if KG has 5 fouls halfway through the 3rd :wink:

latest word on the street...

zach randolph and the 6th pick to milwaukee for michael redd and the 8th pick. bucks would use the 6th to take Mayo, knicks would use the 8th to get alexander.

doooo it.

I personally think that's a terrible trade for the Knicks.

First off, Mayo will not drop to #6.

Second off, even if Mayo did drop to #6, you're in favor of trading a 20/10 guy and Mayo for Redd, who can't guard a chair, and a worse pick?

It doesn't even address the Knicks' salary concerns regarding getting under the cap for 2010, because Redd's contract is the same length as Randolph's.

I don't understand this trade.

I personally think that's a terrible trade for the Knicks.

First off, Mayo will not drop to #6.

Second off, even if Mayo did drop to #6, you're in favor of trading a 20/10 guy and Mayo for Redd, who can't guard a chair, and a worse pick?

It doesn't even address the Knicks' salary concerns regarding getting under the cap for 2010, because Redd's contract is the same length as Randolph's.

I don't understand this trade.

yes, i'm in favor of trading an over-rated clubhouse cancer in zach randolph, who's style of play doesn't fit the system of the coach mind you, for a pure shooter and a pick where i can draft the guy that i want to take at #8 anyway.

i could frankly care less about who the bucks take at the 6, as long as it's not alexander, who isn't expected to go any higher than 8th or 9th.

secondly, this is just a rumor... there's also rumors of randolph going to the pistons or the 76ers... and of course the redd to the cavs rumors will probably pop up again in short order.

michael redd is a 22+ ppg scorer. in a system like d'antoni's that could bump up to 25+ ppg. trade a piece of shit like randolph for him? yea, you're right. makes no sense.

But he's a 20/10 guy, stop being so obtuse. It's not like you've seen him play for a year or anything.

I'd make that trade in a second, too. Randolph in Skiles' system would be hilarious to watch.

Yeah, constipated with awesomeness!!!!!!!!

God I can't wait for this game tonight.

Kobe, my friend, put on your dancin shoes and leave it all on the floor!!!!!

My husband usually watches the game in a different room. Or listens to portions on the radio. It can be quite difficult to watch sometimes. Especially the last 2 games....if you are a Lakers fan that is. I hope they can force a game 7. I don't know if they have what it takes to do it :pray: Or if the Celtics come out at home and suck :shifty: :| I have to hope!!!

when kobe looks to shoot a lot everyone on LA just stands still and watches... this is why when kobe gets D'd up well that LA's offense goes stagnant.

the lakers are hanging on by a string right now... this is a very key moment in the game. if they don't stem the tide here they could very well end up getting blown out of the building.

when kobe looks to shoot a lot everyone on LA just stands still and watches... this is why when kobe gets D'd up well that LA's offense goes stagnant.

the lakers are hanging on by a string right now... this is a very key moment in the game. if they don't stem the tide here they could very well end up getting blown out of the building.

I feel the same way....and you are very right about their offense. Sometimes, Odom/Gasol look like they've been playing together for years, but when Kobe is assertive, they shrink. Odd team, but, they got this far.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom