NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
probably just some blonde with money, or a sugardaddy :wink:

whew.gif

Last edited:
Not sure what to take from game 3. Celts looked like crap, Lakers didn't look great considering it was a must-win (other than Kobe and Vujacic of course). Paul Pierce looked really bad, bad to the point where you wonder about health which is scary. And the PT Eddie House got last night needs to finally put the Sam Cassell experiment to bed; when Cassell comes in the offense just dies, when House comes in they continue to play Celtics basketball and as an added bonus you don't get constant doubling off the point guard.

Oh and Farmar flopped. And Vujacic might be the most irritating Laker in the Kurt Rambis tradition (and that's without him nailing outside shots all night). Guy just bugs me.

I was actually impressed by how much the refs let them play last night. I expected every little ticky tack foul to go LA's way but it really didn't...lots of contact let go in the paint area, lots of KG screens let go (I figured he'd get called for a ton of illegal screening and I think there was only 1).

As for the Donaghy thing I pretty much agree with Headache. I will say this...it's amusing to me to hear the ESPN heads scoff at conspiracy theories while at the same time repeatedly stating as gospel that "this is the final the league wanted" and the like. They do the same thing with the NHL, and if there's a possibility of a Cubs/Red Sox WS you'll hear the same about MLB. If you talk about league offices wanting certain matchups as if it's a given, can you blame people for wondering if leagues would try to make those matchups happen?

You want conspiracy theories? How come every time a Boston star plays injured and gets the job done everybody calls him a faker (Schill and Pierce). And that's not even addressing the speculation around Tom Brady...it's a conspiracy, everybody hates Boston wah wah wah :wink:

the celtics had about 5 straight posessions in the 4th quarter, most of them in transition, where they really could have put the game out of reach and they either took a bad shot or turned the ball over on every single one of them. they played very poorly, and still had a chance to win. i expect them to win at least one of these remaining two games in LA and finish the Lakers off back in Boston in game 6, which whould be played sometime after Obama's inaugaration.

oh, and clearly it will be rigged. which is obvious, 'cause all sports are fake.

just to reiterate the bullshit about donaghy's claims...

the two games he points to, of which his only evidence is hearsay btw... meaning there really is no hard evidence to prove that what he's saying is right, while also meaning that there's no hard evidence to convict him of perjury... so he can pretty much spew whatever bullshit he wants without risk of penalty and just hope that something sticks...

the sacramento/lakers game.

ya know what the HUUUUUGE difference in fouls were in that game? six.

SIX.

six fouls. 31 fouls were called against sacramento, 24 were called against the Lakers. now let's consider that LA won a close game, so there were probably some intentional fouls comitted late by sacramento, and also consider that some hack a shaq was probably used, and that sacramento was largely a finese team while LA was a team that pounded it to a 7'2" 300 pound immovable force who could not be guarded without being fouled. wow... what a controversey!

vlade divac and scott pollard picked up a lot of fouls trying to guard shaq at his absolute prime. NO WAY!! call the feds, something must be wrong there!

the number of "15 more foul shots" is very misleading. the real number is 6... as in only 6 more fouls in the Lakers favor.

as for the rockets/mavs series... btw a tad convenient that this guy picked two games/series that are famous for bad refing. what's next, is he gonna claim hubert davis was never fouled on that three? no shit sherlock...

van gundy summed it up well yesterday at half time. there were a lot of complaints made to the league office that Yao was being allowed to get away with moving screens, which is not a shock as i believe the master of the moving screen himself, patrick ewing, was on the rockets coaching staff at the time. anyhoo, what van gundy said last night was right. there should be more openness in the complaint procedures. if someone files multiple complaints about a player to the league, the player/team should be notified about said complaints and that the league is looking into it. said player can then adjust.

all the nba did was look into a complaint, they saw that, yes, yao was getting away with moving screens at an especially great rate, and they made a point of emphasis to the officails to watch the moving screens.

this process goes on at every level of basketball. every fall the NFHS puts out "points of emphasis," i.e. a list of things that they have told referees to look out for. the NBA does the same thing at the start of the year, as does the NCAA. if they decide amongst themselves that there will be an additional point of emphasis added on durring the course of the season, they should make it public just like they do before the season. end of story.

and lastly i would just like to reiterate that defending referees makes me feel dirty, for i hate them all with the fire of a thousand suns. but this donaghy thing is simply ridiculous and baseless.

Maybe prior to next season, the league mandates each of the ref's to attend a Foul Appreciation Training Camp..let them dribble down the lane a few times and get hacked, mugged, have their shirts/shorts pulled, lose a shoe and few eyebrow hairs and let's see if those hits ARE foul worthy...

While for the most parts, the present day ref actually knows what he's doing, its the new, pretty-faced ref who seems like a baseball umpire trying to get the attention away from the game...the newer line of baseball umps make me sick...not only are they in it for the glory but 3/4's are blind!

JMO...

Hey...whatever happened to those 2 or 3 female refs from a couple seasons back???

Maybe prior to next season, the league mandates each of the ref's to attend a Foul Appreciation Training Camp..let them dribble down the lane a few times and get hacked, mugged, have their shirts/shorts pulled, lose a shoe and few eyebrow hairs and let's see if those hits ARE foul worthy...

While for the most parts, the present day ref actually knows what he's doing, its the new, pretty-faced ref who seems like a baseball umpire trying to get the attention away from the game...the newer line of baseball umps make me sick...not only are they in it for the glory but 3/4's are blind!

JMO...

Hey...whatever happened to those 2 or 3 female refs from a couple seasons back???

they're still in the league... and young officials do go to training camp and ref summer league and even pre-draft camps to "practice."

on a side note, japanese baseball umpires actually stand behind the plate during batting practice to practice their strike zone recognition. but i suppose complaining about baseball umpires is best left for the baseball thread, not here.

Ugly game last night! What the hell is going on with entertainment?

I should have watched Hell's Kitchen and seen Chef Ramsay swear.

:reject:

shit.

ok 7 is still not that big a difference. i think the biggest thing people point to in that game is that the lakers got many more fouls in the 4th quarter... which of course meant that the kings got the majority of the fouls in quarters 1, 2 and 3, but, ah, minor insignificant details like that aren't important.

shit.

ok 7 is still not that big a difference. i think the biggest thing people point to in that game is that the lakers got many more fouls in the 4th quarter... which of course meant that the kings got the majority of the fouls in quarters 1, 2 and 3, but, ah, minor insignificant details like that aren't important.

But you also have to look at the blatant favoritism going in each of those foul calls rather than just the number of fouls called.

The most notorious one is, of course, Kobe elbowing Mike Bibby in the face, nearly getting him in a headlock, and Bibby being called for the foul. The common joke is, 'I guess Bibby fouled Kobe's elbow with his face'. Maybe that's not proof that the league was fixing games, but I think incidents like that sure as hell can lead one to think that the refs fix games themselves sometimes(without the league being involved). You're not seriously going to tell me that call on Bibby was the right call, or that it was even close, or that any ref worth his salt would actually think it was the right call, are you?

If this is any consolation, I would've elbowed any of those Kings players in the face, too.

But you also have to look at the blatant favoritism going in each of those foul calls rather than just the number of fouls called.

The most notorious one is, of course, Kobe elbowing Mike Bibby in the face, nearly getting him in a headlock, and Bibby being called for the foul. The common joke is, 'I guess Bibby fouled Kobe's elbow with his face'. Maybe that's not proof that the league was fixing games, but I think incidents like that sure as hell can lead one to think that the refs fix games themselves sometimes(without the league being involved). You're not seriously going to tell me that call on Bibby was the right call, or that it was even close, or that any ref worth his salt would actually think it was the right call, are you?

see you're falling into the media trap.

neither kobe bryant nor mike bibby was called for a foul on that play. the only foul called was on doug christie after the fact. did kobe foul bibby? of course. do refs miss plays like that all the time? yes.

YouTube - NBA Fixed the 2002 WCF Game 6

it's in the last 10 seconds of this asinine video report after some asinine raving by ralph "election killer" nader. you see the elbow, kobe runs to the corner, gets the ball, and is wrapped up by doug christie. you can even hear marv albert tell you what happened if you listen closely.

have i personaly witnessed calls in high school and college that were no calls that were as bad or even worse than that kobe elbow? yes. i had a kid get a barry sanders palm to the face stiff arm, clear as day, 2 feet in front of me, and the ref was standing right next to me. no foul was called. perhaps darth stern's fixing reach has made it's way all the way down to high school JV basketball. :shrug:

i refuse to belive, without some real, honest to god hard proof, that there is some grand conspiracy to fix games. there are literally 10 to 15 calls per game that could go either way in your average game of basketball. anyone with some video editing equipment and a lot of time on their hands could make ANY game from just about any level of the sport appear to be fixed, if they so desired.

i choose a much simpler explination, one that coaches from pee wee to the NBA and everywhere in between all learn quite quickly. i will now share it with you. keep it tight, it's a well guarded secret that only those in the coaching fraternity know. are you ready? here it is...

all refs suck.

I ref basketball. I'm willing to admit that I miss calls all the time. I only do it cause it pays 18 bucks an hour.

If you would've told me that Kobe would only have 3 points at half time and the Lakers would be up by 18 at half, I probably would've laughed at you, but I'm not laughing. :mad:

Lakers couldn't have dreamed of a better first quarter.

Had some sloppy turnovers and weak possessions in the second quarter, but it's all erased by the golden touch of Jordan Farmar!

:hyper:

Let's go Lakers.

I never watch NBA basketball (ever), but it was the only thing on television earlier. Now I just can't shut it off and go to bed.

Fantastic game. :up:

Fuck me that is the most disappointing game I've watched in a long time.

This calls for a weekend of non-stop, overnight drinking beginning....

NOW.

I'll see you guys later.

Well, looks like Boston is finally gonna get another championship after all these years.

btw faaaantastic help defense by the lakers on that ray allen drive.

Indeed. Fisher was inspiring the way he just stood there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom