NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think anyone would actually buy into these obvious joke posts. People must know weirdo fans like that. Oh brother.

firstly he's a terrific athlete... just because he can't jump, he can run for days.

largely it's because of the mask... everytime i see him wearing that mask i just want to punch him in the face.

besides that... he's a foul machine. watch him. every play, offense and defense, he commits a foul. honest. watch him. he does.

and lastly, it's your statement that he's a "great shooter." correction... he's a great mid-range shooter. he's deadly from 10-15 feet. when was the last time ya saw him knock down a big three?

but yea... mainly it's the mask.

Nothing to do with where he played his college ball, right? :wink: I was thinking Rip should actually paint some designs on the mask, maybe with some dayglo paint or something...that would be pimpin :)

BTW speaking of fouls, non-fouls, and what is and isn't in the playoffs...Jackson and Van Gundy gave Mike Breen a well-earned thrashing over his contention that PJ's foul was correctly called a flagrant. I thought it was pretty funny how for the rest of the game when a semi-hard foul happened one of them would ask "so Mike, is THAT a flagrant?" Good stuff.

Perk was a beast last night, which is what I like to see. I wonder if that's what we'd see from him if he could stay out of foul trouble consistently?

ray-allen-celtics.jpg

Remember me?

Nothing to do with where he played his college ball, right? :wink: I was thinking Rip should actually paint some designs on the mask, maybe with some dayglo paint or something...that would be pimpin :)

BTW speaking of fouls, non-fouls, and what is and isn't in the playoffs...Jackson and Van Gundy gave Mike Breen a well-earned thrashing over his contention that PJ's foul was correctly called a flagrant. I thought it was pretty funny how for the rest of the game when a semi-hard foul happened one of them would ask "so Mike, is THAT a flagrant?" Good stuff.

well i love ray allen, and he went to uconn, so neener neener neeener :madspit::wink:

as for that PJ Brown flagrant... all breen had to do was make the argument that pj's arms visably pushed the player to the ground while in the air. that's what made it a flagrant, and that's what made it different from all of the other examples they used over the course of the game. both arms flailing downwards on an airborne player is not a natural motion.

and i still hate pj brown.

The NBA just released an official statement saying that a 2 shot foul should have been called on Brent Barry last night.

So there you have it. Now it's an official ripoff.

so if they had made the call and the lakers ended up losing in overtime, would the NBA then make an official statement declaring that the spurs never should have gotten the ball because the refs missed a reset of the 24 second shot clock on the previous posession? thus making it official that the lakers got ripped off?

did he get fouled? yes. obviously. there is no arguing that there was a foul committed. the only argument is wether or not you make such a call to decide the game on. i say no, and if you watch the final minute of the boston/detroit game last night, you can see things going on that, as van gundy said, "if you did that on the streets of manhattan they'd throw you in jail." but they weren't called.. why? it's the F'ing playoffs. that's why. it's an accepted fact that refs are going to swallow the whistles down the stretch, and that you're going to have to get absolutely hammered to get a call that could potentialy decide the game and/or the series. brent barry did not get hammered. he got fouled. the decision to let it go was the right decision, in my mind.

and as for the NBA... i absolutely hate when leagues do this. if it's a clock error? fine. but this is a judgement call. what the league should have said was something along the lines of "referees are paid to make judgement calls and they made one here. not eveyone will always agree with their decisions, but such is life. we stand by the decision not to call a foul."

what's next? "major league baseball would like to state that the ball 3 in the 4th inning was clearly a strike, and should have been called. by the umpire calling that a ball, when it should have been a strike, it lead to an increased pitch count, which lead to the stupid manager taking the pitcher out earlier than he should have, which lead to the bullpen blowing the game, as they are prone to do, 'cause the bullpen in question blows. our sincere appologies."

^ But everybody loves Ray Allen. I hate Duke and G'Town but I like AI and Grant Hill.

The PJ play to me was just a hard foul. He made contact as I recall on the arm but damn near the body (armpit area) so you could justify the flagrant, but the way this series is being played and officiated I think it's just a foul...but when the dunker's in the air and falls like that you see the flagrant. The one where Pierce wrapped up Billups was worse IMO, damn near a tackle.

Sheed loves the officiating:

T’d Rasheed Wallace rips referees - BostonHerald.com

There's a really clear pattern developing in these playoffs.

Lakers win their series' early, giving them more time than their next opponent to rest and get mentally prepared. They come out against the less-rested team and win games 1 and 2, puttin all the momentum on their side and all but guaranteeing a series victory.

The Lakers will win tonight, keeping the pattern intact...so what will happen in the Finals?

^ But everybody loves Ray Allen. I hate Duke and G'Town but I like AI and Grant Hill.

The PJ play to me was just a hard foul. He made contact as I recall on the arm but damn near the body (armpit area) so you could justify the flagrant, but the way this series is being played and officiated I think it's just a foul...but when the dunker's in the air and falls like that you see the flagrant. The one where Pierce wrapped up Billups was worse IMO, damn near a tackle.

Sheed loves the officiating:

i'm gonna try to find some youtube video of the last minute... when hamilton got a boo boo. he literaly had his entire palm pressed against jesus' face, and then had his arm wrapped around his neck, and that's how he hurt himself. i wonder what sheed has to say about that no call.

i'd have been alright if the pj brown was called just a foul. but anytime when both arms forceably move downward with no play on the ball on an airborne player, i think you have to call it a flagrant.

the pierce on billups i think the refs judged no intent to injure, but it certainly could have been ruled a flagrant. i think pierce's reaction afterwords, and that he doesn't have a reputation of being a dirty player, where as PJ has the reputation of sometimes power bombing point guards into the first row, is why it wasn't called a flagrant.

all i know is this... if the pistons find themselves down double digits in the 4th quarter of game 6, you can bet that 'Sheed is gonna get that 7th technical in style.

There's a really clear pattern developing in these playoffs.

Lakers win their series' early, giving them more time than their next opponent to rest and get mentally prepared. They come out against the less-rested team and win games 1 and 2, puttin all the momentum on their side and all but guaranteeing a series victory.

The Lakers will win tonight, keeping the pattern intact...so what will happen in the Finals?

well only the pistons had an easier route to the conference finals than the lakers. the spurs had to face two title contenders just to get there... and that said, if 2 or 3 posessions over the course of the entire series go a different way than they did, san antonio would have a 3-1 lead right now. so let's not count the lakers preverbial eggs before they're hatched here... san antonio ain't dead yet.

You mean the GREATkers :) Get it right, dawg.

I've heard the NYYankees called the YankMes on several occasions...it's kind of fun to call them the Hankees currently. A buddy of mine used to call the Rays the Tampa Bay Double-A's.

Haha yeah, I have a buddy who makes up degrading names for NBA teams all the time...

Orlando Tragic
Miami Cheat
Sacramento Queens
Toronto Craptors
Utah Jizz
San Antonio Slurs

He's got some more but I can't remember them. And there are some good ones for baseball too but I can't think of em either. I really like Tampa Bay Double-A's...although that can't be used so well anymore.

Collins is extremely knowledgeable and experienced and with this rotation...

D. Rose
B. Gordon
L. Deng
D. Gooden
J. Noah
T. Thomas
A. Nocioni
And whoever they score by getting rid of Hinrich and Hughes

...they might not even need a coach to win the East. That team, with Rose running the show, will out-run and out-play opponents all across America.

firstly he's a terrific athlete... just because he can't jump, he can run for days.

largely it's because of the mask... everytime i see him wearing that mask i just want to punch him in the face.

besides that... he's a foul machine. watch him. every play, offense and defense, he commits a foul. honest. watch him. he does.

and lastly, it's your statement that he's a "great shooter." correction... he's a great mid-range shooter. he's deadly from 10-15 feet. when was the last time ya saw him knock down a big three?

but yea... mainly it's the mask.

If he gets away with it its not a foul. They would probably call that stuff in college and high school, but the guys in the NBA are tough. If he gets away with having his hands on his man on defence, its alright as long as they dont call it, Which they usually don't. I'm not saying it's proper technique, but it works for him.

I've seen him hit the three on several occasion. I assume he doesn't shoot them because his deadly with mid range shoots. Which are higher percentage shoots. That's just smart basketball. Teams that jack threes all game will never be successful.

D. Rose
B. Gordon
L. Deng
D. Gooden
J. Noah
T. Thomas
A. Nocioni

...they might not even need a coach to win the East. That team, with Rose running the show, will out-run and out-play opponents all across America.

Rose, Gordon and Deng are good. The other four guys aren't out running or playing any body. You should also want them to draft BEASTLEY. I think that heirich is an adequete point guard. They need a big guy who can score the ball.

If he gets away with it its not a foul. They would probably call that stuff in college and high school, but the guys in the NBA are tough. If he gets away with having his hands on his man on defence, its alright as long as they dont call it, Which they usually don't. I'm not saying it's proper technique, but it works for him.

I've seen him hit the three on several occasion. I assume he doesn't shoot them because his deadly with mid range shoots. Which are higher percentage shoots. That's just smart basketball. Teams that jack threes all game will never be successful.

two guards don't average 1/2 a made three per game for their career if they can actually shoot it. he has no range. great at what he does, yes. but i prefer my shooting guards to be able to shoot the three. but hey, that's just me.

the first part of your response is not worth discussing.

but still... 75% of my hatred all comes back to the mask.

D. Rose
B. Gordon
L. Deng
D. Gooden
J. Noah
T. Thomas
A. Nocioni

let me ask you a question... what has doug collins done that makes you excited that he's coaching the bulls? name me something specific.

if paxson wanted a broadcaster for a coach he should have gone to tnt, not espn.

let me ask you a question... what has doug collins done that makes you excited that he's coaching the bulls? name me something specific.

if paxson wanted a broadcaster for a coach he should have gone to tnt, not espn.

One of the points of my post there was that, in my opinion, if the Bulls draft Derrick Rose they will be able to scoot towards the top of the East on talent alone. Coaching aside.

And I'm too young to remember when Collins had his first go-round with the Bullies so I guess most of my excitement comes from what I've heard him say as a broadcaster. He knows his shit. To get specific I guess I would say it's his hair that has me most excited.

Oh yeah, and if the Bulls draft Beasley over Rose it will be the worst draft day disaster since the Blazers drafted Sam Bowie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom