NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm still trying to see the depth.

Well...Deng, Hinrich, Gordon and Hughes can all play the same spot, so you got 4 guys at the 2...plus Gooden, Thomas and Noah can all play less than average power forward, so they got 3 guys there...and Rose at the point playing 48 minutes, and no center...so they got that going for them.

i suppose you also consider dwayne wade to be too small for the NBA, considering he and redick are both 6'4"... not to mention the aformentioned steve kerr was only 6'1", and redick is much more athletic than kerr ever was.

there are plenty of valid arguments one could make on why you believe j.j. redick will never be an efficient nba player... "he's too small" is not one of them.

trade redick to the knicks... i'm sure d'antoni could make some use of a guy who's deadly from 30 in, athletic freak or not.

It's a joke to compare Wade to Reddick. You misinterperated what I mean. Considering Reddick's only ability is to be a three pointer shooter he is too small. You go on to mention Steve Kerr. While he was on some great teams that including MJ and Pippen, he never had great numbers. He could get you 50% from the three point line but the most points he ever averaged in a season was 8.4. The most assists he ever got was 2.4 and averaged less than two rebounds a game his entire career. Maybe a clutch shooter, but he was entirely unefficient. Put Reddick with MJ and he too could win some championships.

It's a joke to compare Wade to Reddick. You misinterperated what I mean. Considering Reddick's only ability is to be a three pointer shooter he is too small. You go on to mention Steve Kerr. While he was on some great teams that including MJ and Pippen, he never had great numbers. He could get you 50% from the three point line but the most points he ever averaged in a season was 8.4. The most assists he ever got was 2.4 and averaged less than two rebounds a game his entire career. Maybe a clutch shooter, but he was entirely unefficient. Put Reddick with MJ and he too could win some championships.

what i took you to mean is that j.j. redick is too small height wise, which is simply not true. i'm not comparing wade and redick as players. wade is clearly far and above superior. but they are the same height.

also, if you believe steve kerr was "entirely unefficient" then there is no reason to further continue this conversation. nobody is claiming j.j. redick is going to be a superstar, average 20 a game.

see... a great shooter, such as 6 foot 1 steve kerr, stretches the defense. did michael jordan do more to make steve kerr better than steve kerr did to make michael jordan better? of course. but if you don't believe that having steve kerr on the court did not make it easier for jordan to get shots then you simply do not understand basic fundamental basketball.

a lights out shooter forces the defense to RESPECT him... even if he only averages 8.4 points per game. now with a player like jordan on the floor, that respect may only be a half a step closer to kerr, but that's a half a step that they wouldn't be giving if it was even an average shooter out there. jordan fully understood this, which is what made him even greater. if you didn't respect kerr's ability to knock down the three, jordan would kick it to him without thought... and when you're putting so much effort into stopping such an unstoppable force like michael jordan, and you think you did, and he kicks it out to steve kerr 2-3 times and he nails it home... that's a back breaker for a team... that is highly "efficient."

i do not know what other reasons... off the court stuff, does he get his ass kicked regularly in practice, is he a little bitch, is he not shooting well in practice... that has kept redick out of the magic's rotation. but what i do know is that having redick on the floor would mean that redick's man had to be at least a half step closer to j.j. and at least a half step further away from double teaming dwight howard. that, too, is "efficient."

Well...Deng, Hinrich, Gordon and Hughes can all play the same spot, so you got 4 guys at the 2...plus Gooden, Thomas and Noah can all play less than average power forward, so they got 3 guys there...and Rose at the point playing 48 minutes, and no center...so they got that going for them.
Mmm, Deng is a small forward - 6'9"
But still, Heinrich, Gordon, Hughes, and the one you left out is Sefalosha...they all play the same spot.

The other fun part is our 6'7" power forward, Nocioni.

Roster also seems to be lacking a true center and defensive post presence.

I see domination by teams with good bigs.

How many solid "true centers" are there in the NBA? Everyone's a hybrid these days. The "true center" is a dying breed.

i still think joakim noah and ty thomas are the funnest parts :wink:

Jo and Ty are the shit. They love to smoke weed and miss practice and underachieve. They're my favorites, too.

I thought Joakim put up some great numbers in some of the games he had minutes in last season. He was a little inconsistent but he's only a rookie. I think he's going to have a solid NBA career and probably average a double double for most of it.

i present two posessions. one from the knicks last year under isiah thomas, one from the knicks this year under mike d'antoni.

YouTube - Zach Randolph Play Around Feb 24 2008
YouTube - Wilson Chandler posterizes Jermaine O'Neal

the results aren't even the important thing... the ball movement and off the ball movement is what's important. the isiah posession had 5 guys standing still as one player dribbled around... poorly. the d'antoni posession has NO ONE standing still for very long, everyone moving, even on the weak side. no one stands still for the entire posession. you move, the defense has to move. the more defense moves, the less effective the help defense is. the less effective the help defense is, the easier it is to get good looks and easy shots.

yes... i'm very happy to be able to watch basketball in new york again.

I just finished a live draft for a fantasy league.

12 teams, h2h league, stats: FG%, FT%, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO

I got stuck with the 12th pick, so I was the last pick, but I also got back-to-back picks.

Tony Paker(PG, G)
Joe Johnson(PG, SG, G)
Paul Pierce(SG, G, SF, F)
Thaddeus Young(SF, F, PF)
Chris Bosh(F, PF, C)
David West(F, PF)
Greg Oden(C)
Jermaine O'Neal(C, PF, F)
Tayshaun Prince(SF, F)
Ronnie Brewer(SG, G, SF, F)
Mike Conley(PG, SG, G)
Darko Milicic(C, PF, F)
Nate Robinson(PG, SG, G)

Oden is risky...he could put up solid rookie numbers or he might not, but I wanted him for blocks, 'cause Tyson Chandler, Big Z, all the all-star big men were gone. Same with Jermaine, injury is a concern, but he can put up good numbers when he plays.

I fear I need more assists...Parker, Johnson, Conley, and Robinson all play PG, but I don't know if it's enough.

Comments, suggestions, advice?

Does rebounding, scoring and blocking shots mean anything to you?

yes and noah's not very good at either.

he's an athletic hustler. it worked in college because of the team he was on.

he's a poor man's ben wallace... and ben wallace is absolute dog shit. so whatever's just a tad lower than dog shit, that's what joakim noah is.

I think Joakim has some good offensive talent. I guess we just have to wait and see.

I'm excited to go see a Bulls game when I'm in Chicago in a couple of weeks.

Annoying was his strongest suit.

Looking like my aunt was also one of his strengths.

Mickael Pietrus has been a stud in the pre-season... great pick-up by the Magic. They should trade Turkoglu while his value's still high and get a real point guard or a good big guy to put next to Dwight, and keep Lewis and Pietrus at the 3 and Redick and Courtney Lee at the 2... or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom