NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the same way....and you are very right about their offense. Sometimes, Odom/Gasol look like they've been playing together for years, but when Kobe is assertive, they shrink. Odd team, but, they got this far.....

when they do put it together and run the offense and the break without caring who's taking the shots they are incredibly dangerous... and we've seen that at times in this sereis. but when they want to make sure kobe gets his shots, eventually everyone else just stands still and watches.

and pao needs to be next to someone even like a kendrick perkins... he's too soft to be the main big.

and now it's a 9 point game... and on LA's last posession kobe dribbled around a little at the top of the key as everyone stood still. pierce played good D so kobe ahd to give it up. vujavic acted like he really didn't know what to do, drove and turned it over as everyone else stood still.

right now they're running the triangle offense in name and formation only... yes, they're in a triple post alignment, but there ain't no offense being played.

i think the lakers problem is that they rely too much on kobe when they're behind. i remember a game when the bulls were winning championships... might have been their first one against LA, or maybe their second one against portland. Phil kept Jordan on the bench for a long time in the 4th quarter, and the bench guys were making the comeback. eventually he put jordan back in but jordan was just another piece, not THE piece, and they ended up winning the game and clinching the title. i think the zen master needs to remember that moment.

derek fisher seems to enjoy taking out baseline camera men. i like derek fisher.

xyxnervous.gif

What happened to the first period aggression by the Lakers that we saw in the prior three games? :|

Wow, the Lakers really brought it, in the first half, tonight.

HA!

I wonder how close this game'll be, though, by the time it's all over and done with...? Nothing's a given, with these two lazy-assed teams.

i think the lakers problem is that they rely too much on kobe when they're behind. i remember a game when the bulls were winning championships... might have been their first one against LA, or maybe their second one against portland. Phil kept Jordan on the bench for a long time in the 4th quarter, and the bench guys were making the comeback. eventually he put jordan back in but jordan was just another piece, not THE piece, and they ended up winning the game and clinching the title. i think the zen master needs to remember that moment.

It was game 6, the last game, of the 92 finals. The Bulls were down by 17, and the bench made the comeback at the tail end of the third quarter and all of the fourth quarter...the comeback started with a three from Bobby Hanson at the end of the third quarter, and they went from there.

If I keep holding out
Will the light shine through?
Under this broken roof
Its only rain that I feel
Ive been wishing out the Lakers to...
COME BACK

I have been planning out
All that I'd say to you
Since you slipped away
Know that I still remain true
Ive been wishing out the days
Please say that if you hadnt gone now
I wouldnt have lost you another way
From wherever you are
Ohhhh ohh ohh oh oh Lakers COME BACK

And these days they linger on
And in the night ive been waiting for
The real possibility that I may meet you in my dreams
I go to sleep
If i dont fall apart, Will my memory stay clear
So you had to go, And I had to remain here

But the strangest thing today
So far away and yet you feel so close
And Im not gonna question any other way
There must be an open door
For the Lakers uhh uhh uhh.... To COME BACK

And the days they linger on
And every night when Im waiting for
Sometimes you're there and you're talking back to me
Come the morning I can swear that you're next to me
And its okayyyyyy

Its ok...its ok

Ohhh i need the Lakers to....come back, come back
Ahhhhh I need the Lakers to come back, come back
Ohhhh I need the Lakers to come back, come back

COME BACK

If I keep holding out
Will the light shine through?
Under this broken roof
Its only rain that I feel
Ive been wishing out the Lakers to...
COME BACK

I have been planning out
All that I'd say to you
Since you slipped away
Know that I still remain true
Ive been wishing out the days
Please say that if you hadnt gone now
I wouldnt have lost you another way
From wherever you are
Ohhhh ohh ohh oh oh Lakers COME BACK

And these days they linger on
And in the night ive been waiting for
I go to sleep
If i dont fall apart, Will my memory stay clear
So you had to go, And I had to remain here

But the strangest thing today
So far away and yet you feel so close
And Im not gonna question any other way
There must be an open door
For the Lakers uhh uhh uhh.... To COME BACK

And the days they linger on
And every night when Im waiting for
Sometimes you're there and you're talking back to me
Come the morning I can swear that you're next to me
And its okayyyyyy

Its ok...its ok

Ohhh i need the Lakers to....come back, come back
Ahhhhh I need the Lakers to come back, come back
Ohhhh I need the Lakers to come back, come back

COME BACK

i need the celtics to not blow the lakers out by too much... 'cause i took the under because i thought the celtics would blow the lakers out tonight by a score of like, oh, 96-73... something like that. but they're already at 82 and the 3rd quarter ain't over yet. the lakers might score 73 and i still won't get the under.

this lakers team is a complete embarassment and anyone who ever compared kobe bryant to michael jordan should be ashamed of themselves.

Quite the emotional outburst by Garnett in the post-game interview with Michelle Tafoya.

That is one intense man. He also seems to be very liberal with his use of the word "motherfucker"...

i can't say again how much respect i've earned for paul pierce over this run.. and really garnett and allen, too, even though i've always liked both of them.

pierce was a "volume shooter," like so many others in the league today. even when the celtics were making runs at the finals with pierce and walker, the two would take just dreadful shots.

there are so many guys who the same old "yea they shoot a lot but give them someone good to play with and they'll change" line is used on, but very few whom it actually stands true. iverson? kobe? they're gonna shoot no matter who's on their team... lebron? yet to be seen. but paul pierce did change. he became a team player, he bought in. he took good shots, he didn't force up "his." he's gone from being one of my most disliked players in the league to being one of my most liked players in under a year... just in a few weeks even.

garnett had a similar rap... "he can't win the big one." he's about the only superstar i've ever seen get criticized for being too unselfish. i've always loved him... wished the knicks weren't run by isiah when he was available... wish they'd give me my money back on my KG timberwolves jersey that i bought like 6 years ago... but am really happy that he'll never have to have that same old ewing, malone, barkley "can never win the big one" label ever again.

kobe's still a guy who won three championships with shaq. phil's still a guy who won 9 championships with jordan and shaq... and somewhere up there red is having a good laugh at how pitiful big cheif triangle's "team" looked tonight.

great end to a great nba season... now for the draft :drool:

It's been a long time since I've seen a team this outwardly and unabashedly emotional, so full of pure and total joy, and so over-the-top excited about winning an NBA championship. The Shaq-Kobe Lakers were never this emotional/excited/happy. The Duncan Spurs were never this emotional/excited/happy. The 2006 Heat weren't. The 2004 Pistons weren't. This is really the first time this decade that I have seen a team really get emotional about a championship. One of the most emotional all-around reactions to a championship I've ever seen, really.

And I couldn't be happier that it's a team with KG, Pierce, and Allen on it.

Allen will now be remembered forever as one of the great shooters the game has ever seen, who was doing his thing in a time when good shooting was becoming a thing of the past for the league.

KG putting up 26/14 in a closeout game to win a championship narrows the gap between him and Duncan, imo.

Pierce has been one of the most underappreciated players in the league for years and now he's finally getting his due.

Danny Ainge is looking pretty smart right now for refusing to include Rondo in the KG trade. Rajon had a very impressive playoff run as the starting pg, all things considered.

Perkins looks like he could be a Mutumbo-type guy for this generation.

I even like the role players on this team.

PJ Brown is solid.

I can't help but like Sam I Am, even if he is a total black hole on offense.

Powe has shown he's a real player.

House has hit the big shots when they count.

Posey has been tremendous on both ends of the court.

I'm a Bulls fan, first and foremost, but I haven't liked a team this much in a long time...probably since the 99 Spurs(who I still maintain were better than any of the subsequent Spurs title winners).

The Shaq-Kobe Lakers were never this emotional/excited/happy.

When the Lakers won the first of their three-peat in 2000, they were VERY emotional/excited/happy. I remember it well.

kobepicture11.jpg

Haha that's a really small picture but, yeah, they were happy.

Last edited:
I think Phil got outcoach in a massive way this series. I never really liked Doc Rivers but he had the celts playing great ball. It occured to me yesterday watching the game that Kobe never moves without the ball. He just stands there with his hands in the air calling for it.

What a dominating performance that was last night. When they interviewed Pierce at halftime, you just got the sense that this was one lead that would hold up. He had that look in his eye.

I loved that KG was absolutely out of his mind at the end of the game. When he says he may not sleep for months, I tend to believe him. My favorite line was "I'm certified! I'M CERTIFIED!"

Headache and Namkur really summed up how I feel this morning. I've never liked the Celtics, have always been a Lakers, Bulls fan.

And I didn't really like Paul Pierce up till this year.

But this team...this Celtics team...was pure magic. It was hard work, great defense, emotions, guys stepping up, guys coming hard off the bench, guys improving, you name it, it was what Basketball is all about. The Lakers were simply not as good, not as deep, and I don't like the personalities that much either.

I really loved how emotional KG was and Pierce, I mean what fan of the game couldn't like these guys?

I think we're witnessing the beginning of a dynasty team. Seriously, I can see this team repeating. :up:

I loved that KG was absolutely out of his mind at the end of the game. When he says he may not sleep for months, I tend to believe him. My favorite line was "I'm certified! I'M CERTIFIED!"

I loved when he kept saying "I made it Ma, I made it!" ...honestly being a parent of a kid who has hoop dreams it was hard not to get choked up when he said that...

I think Phil got outcoach in a massive way this series. I never really liked Doc Rivers but he had the celts playing great ball.
Rivers seemed to make all the right moves, he had injuries to deal with, and got meaningful contributions from just about every player off the bench at one point in the series.

The Lakers were simply not as good, not as deep

i agree and disagree at the same time... if you gave each player on each team a video game rating and added them all up, there really wouldn't be much difference between the two teams. but for the celtics the whole was bigger than the sum of it's parts. the same can certainly not be said for the lakers.

synergy, it is a wonderful thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom