NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #241
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:09 AM
so the nba finally has a Finals that they can sell to the masses... and they're gonna put it on so that it ends when the majority of the population in the united states is asleep.

well done.

honestly... 9pm starts?

i understand if you want to put the games in LA on at 9pm. but the games in boston should start at 8.

i suppose it's better than 9:30 but eh... got knows there's goint to be hour long half times.

and to top it off, the scheduleing is just stupid.
game 1- thursday
game 2- sunday
game 3- tuesday
game 4- thursday
game 5- sunday
game 6- tuesday
game 7- thursday

they completely skip friday and saturday nights because friday/saturday is the lowest TV ratings... not that less people watch it, but more people watch it together... bars/parties, etc. tuesday/thursday/sunday more people will be at their homes, so the ratings will be oh so slightly higher. utterly ridiciulous.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #242
Blue Crack Addict

It ended up being quite the moot point thanks to the Celts's domination in the 4th quarter, but can anyone (Headache most specifically) ever say they've seen a guy called for a blocking foul while taking a shot?
That foul called on Pierce when hit hit the 3 late in the 3rd befuddled me. If you watch the ref on replay, he called a block...the guy shooting the ball can be called for a block?
Pierce's feet were set (otherwise a travel would have to have been called prior to contact), he leaned toward Hamilton after upfaking him, Hamilton slams into him as he releases the ball, and its a foul on Pierce?
Mind blowing.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #243
Refugee

Local Time: 02:09 PM
He might have thought that peirce lowered his shoulder when Rip jumped into him. But that was really just a brutal call.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #244
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ok, time for predictions, or not yet?

Lakers in 6.

I am hesitant about this since Boston has home court but Kobe has been too much on fire and KG hasn't.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:50 PM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
so the nba finally has a Finals that they can sell to the masses... and they're gonna put it on so that it ends when the majority of the population in the united states is asleep.

well done.

honestly... 9pm starts?

i understand if you want to put the games in LA on at 9pm. but the games in boston should start at 8.

i suppose it's better than 9:30 but eh... got knows there's goint to be hour long half times.

and to top it off, the scheduleing is just stupid.
game 1- thursday
game 2- sunday
game 3- tuesday
game 4- thursday
game 5- sunday
game 6- tuesday
game 7- thursday

they completely skip friday and saturday nights because friday/saturday is the lowest TV ratings... not that less people watch it, but more people watch it together... bars/parties, etc. tuesday/thursday/sunday more people will be at their homes, so the ratings will be oh so slightly higher. utterly ridiciulous.
The worst thing is that you will lose your chance to impress girls with your knowledge of the game while hitting on them at the bar.

But, hey, Thursday nights in NYC are hot!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:28 PM   #246
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:09 AM
I always forget, is it 2-3-2 or 2-2-1-1-1?

If it's the first, Lakers in 5. The latter, Lakers in 6.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #247
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

2-2-1-1-1 for the first three rounds, 2-3-2 for the finals.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #248
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
2-2-1-1-1 for the first three rounds, 2-3-2 for the finals.
I do not have a problem with the days the games are played due to the shitty HUT levels on Friday nights (No major sport plays Championship games on Friday night, for a good reason), but, switching the format to 2-3-2 for the Finals bothers me a lot. No 7 game series should be 2-3-2, at least in my opinion.

As for predictions, I think the Lakers are the better team, so, I'll go with them in 6. Lakers won in Utah and in San Antonio, so they can march into Boston and take one there.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:48 AM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Celtics in 6. They'll hold the home court and steal one in L.A.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:20 AM   #250
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
No 7 game series should be 2-3-2, at least in my opinion.
Do you understand the reasoning behind the Finals being 2-3-2? They weren't always, it used to be 2-2-1-1-1, but in the Finals, it's East vs West, and that means more distance to travel each time you have to go back and forth. So, that you're only making two trips, one after game 2 and one after game 5. If the finals were 2-2-1-1-1, you'd be crossing the country after game 2, after game 4, after game 5, after game 6. All that traveling could cause fatigue, or cut into practice time, etc. It would just be a total nuisance in these series where two teams from opposite sides of the country are playing each other.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Celtics in 7. I think both teams get a road win.

Absolutely everybody outside New England seems to be picking the Lakers, which is no surprise; the East team is always the underdog. I'm thinking Paul Pierce is going to have a monster series, he generally plays well against LA and I expect him to really go off in the game the Celts win at Staples.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #252
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Do you understand the reasoning behind the Finals being 2-3-2? They weren't always, it used to be 2-2-1-1-1, but in the Finals, it's East vs West, and that means more distance to travel each time you have to go back and forth. So, that you're only making two trips, one after game 2 and one after game 5. If the finals were 2-2-1-1-1, you'd be crossing the country after game 2, after game 4, after game 5, after game 6. All that traveling could cause fatigue, or cut into practice time, etc. It would just be a total nuisance in these series where two teams from opposite sides of the country are playing each other.
I do understand the theory behind it but disagree with the logic. You rarely see teams from opposite coasts play each other, and, regardless, these teams fly in chartered planes and do it all season long. Better an "extra" flight than someone playing three straight games at home. Most players would prefer 2-2-1-1-1 in the Finals, regardless of potential travel issues.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #253
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Do you understand the reasoning behind the Finals being 2-3-2?
No Eli, do you understand? I drink your NBA Finals, I drink it up.

I'm not a big fan of the 2-3-2 as well. It actually favors the "underdog" team, so what's the point of home court? Either way, still pretty excited for these finals. Hopefully they won't be as much of a let down as last year's lame Spurs sweep.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #254
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Do you understand the reasoning behind the Finals being 2-3-2? They weren't always, it used to be 2-2-1-1-1, but in the Finals, it's East vs West, and that means more distance to travel each time you have to go back and forth.
Like the potential matchups of Chicago vs. Minnesota for example, brutal travel between the 2 cities.
Or maybe Orlando or Atlanta vs. New Orleans.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:41 PM   #255
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Like the potential matchups of Chicago vs. Minnesota for example, brutal travel between the 2 cities.

Six hours of Wisconsin can be pretty brutal. Have you ever been to Beloit?

Tags
basketball, nba