NBA 2019, Finals & Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was not surprised to see Toronto win last night. That crowd was uniquely batshit, and Golden State is discombobulated enough right now to be thrown off its game by something like this.

I still think Golden State wins, but that's also because I think we see Durant later in this series. He'll be much more important for this matchup than he was for the Houston series. If Durant misses the whole thing, it's much more interesting. Siakam is a real problem for them.

if you're steve kerr, do you put more focus on defending siakam at the risk of opening up space for kawhi, or do you stick with what you did last game and go under the reasoning that pascal can't perform like that again (although, he absolutely can) and try to keep the clamps on kawhi?

Last edited:
if you're steve kerr, do you put more focus on defending siakam at the risk of opening up space for kawhi, or do you stick with what you did last game and go under the reasoning that pascal can't perform like that again (although, he absolutely can) and try to keep the clamps on kawhi?

I think he just rolls the same way. Kawhi is obviously the bigger threat so you do what you can to take him away as best as possible and if a guy like Siakam goes off again, you tip your hat.

And... you know... the building is occupied.

Also assume they set things up with the nhl to avoid stepping on each other.

carrie underwood's show next sunday got postponed for game 5 and the game isn't even being played that night. a twentyone pilots show got bumped on wednesday for game 1 too. not sure why the who hasn't been pushed considering both of those other concerts are/were the night before a game though.

Last edited:

Also assume they set things up with the nhl to avoid stepping on each other.
Yea the Who have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Teams are given the schedule as to when the NBA Finals are going to take place years in advance. I can log in and tell you when the finals are scheduled for the next two seasons, even for a team that has absolutely no chance of actually playing in the finals.

The time between game 1 and game 7 is 17 days. That's not because of The Who.

The concerts would be scheduled around the holds for a team with intentions of advancing, not the other way around. And if a team schedules a concert for a day where there's a game scheduled, the NBA wins. The concert will move.

Yea the Who have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Teams are given the schedule as to when the NBA Finals are going to take place years in advance. I can log in and tell you when the finals are scheduled for the next two seasons, even for a team that has absolutely no chance of actually playing in the finals.

The time between game 1 and game 7 is 17 days. That's not because of The Who.

The concerts would be scheduled around the holds for a team with intentions of advancing, not the other way around. And if a team schedules a concert for a day where there's a game scheduled, the NBA wins. The concert will move.

My understanding, and you’d know better, is that those playoff months are going to be “reserved” by the home team and the concerts are subject to potential change but that’s all a function of negotiation.

Judging that The Who don’t appear to have any immediate dates after this show, I imagine they’re flexible.

You can make whatever point you want about Carrie Underwood and Twenty One Pilots you want, but it’s not like they *wanted* to interrupt those shows. They had to.

To say The Who and the NHL have nothing to do with it... dunno. I imagine that’s their justification, more than anything. The schedules aren’t made in a vacuum.

You can make whatever point you want about Carrie Underwood and Twenty One Pilots you want, but it’s not like they *wanted* to interrupt those shows. They had to.

i mean...obviously?

the arena said those shows were both postponed due to "the NBA's technical setup requirements" which i assume means there's some obligation for the arena to be fully set up for basketball some number of hours before tip-off. both of the concerts that were postponed were on the evening before a 9 pm game. but tomorrow's tip-off is at 8, and the who is still scheduled to go on tonight as far as i can see. i'm confused by that. i have a hard time believing that a who show is less elaborate and faster to take down than a carrie underwood or twentyone pilots show.

The arena is available for Saturday night for Game 7.

It's scheduled for Sunday.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that they won't schedule games on Saturday. The same number of eyes will be on the game, but because they're out at bars and what not they don't count in the ratings, and thus kill advertising dollars.

But alas, this is the world we live in.

i mean...obviously?

the arena said those shows were both postponed due to "the NBA's technical setup requirements" which i assume means there's some obligation for the arena to be fully set up for basketball some number of hours before tip-off. both of the concerts that were postponed were on the evening before a 9 pm game. but tomorrow's tip-off is at 8, and the who is still scheduled to go on tonight as far as i can see. i'm confused by that. i have a hard time believing that a who show is less elaborate and faster to take down than a carrie underwood or twentyone pilots show.
Yea I mean... I haven't been in arena for a finals game. But I've been in arena for the international game, and I've been in arena for a shit ton of national TV games... and this seems like a bogus reason.

Nah. I mean, if Siakam beats you and not Leonard, you live with it.

The adjustments I'd make are...

-- transition defense
-- Toronto is double teaming Curry on screen and rolls without involving Leonard in the play, and it's been effective. This is a huge advantage for Toronto. Golden State needs to do a better job here.
-- Cousins only sees the floor with the bench unit, he's an absolute defensive liability, and he takes up too much space for Curry, Thompson and Green to operate effectively.

Aside from that? Don't be so damn sloppy with the ball. Some of this was expected after a 9 day lay off, but even still.

Obviously the last eastern conference finals reminded us that dominating games 1 and 2 at home are ultimately meaningless if you can't go and win a game on the road.

That said... I think Golden State is in trouble if they lose game 2. Kawhi isn't going to play sub par all series (unless he's hurt), so I wouldn't want to fall 2 games behind that dude. He's the most dangerous player they've faced in the KD Warriors era. And yes, I know what I said there.

The time between game 1 and game 7 is 17 days. .

Its always been a bit ridiculous, but its gotten completely ridiculous as of late.

I remember us having a similar discussion a few years back here, when it was still 2-3-2.. Back then the NBA finals were basically played on Tues, Thurs and Sunday and Stanley Cup was on Mon, Wed and Saturday, but the way they did it was stupid, games 1 & 2 Thurs, Sun then 3 on Tues. So the longest layoff was while they remained in the same city.

The common sense (I know rules it out) move at the time I said was game 1Tues, game 2 Thurs, travel with the extra day off, game 3 Sunday, 4 Tues, 5 Thurs, travel with the added day off, 6 Sunday and 7 Tuesday.

NHL has gotten just as bad, Game 1 was Monday 5/27, game 7 (which won't be needed) is slated for Wed June 12.

If you're GS why don't you feed Cousins down low to slow the game down a bit when you have this lead late in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom