NBA 2018-19 Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:13 AM
NBA 2018-19 Thread

The other thread is nearly at 1000 and has been going for two seasons, and preseason starts in two weeks, so I figured it's a good time to start a new thread.

I used to post questions when I would start these threads, so I figured I'd so now...

Will the Warriors become the first team since the Shaq/Kobe Lakers to three-peat?

How will the LeBron Lakers fare in year one? Will they surprise people and contend quickly? Or is this going to be a punted season while they hope for FA re-enforcements next summer?

Houston lost Ariza and Anderson and added Melo, Chriss, and Knight. Will they be better or worse than last season?

Will Boston, with Kyrie and Hayward healthy, be as good as advertised? Will they make the finals?

Will the new-look Raptors, led by Kahwi and Lowry with Green, Ibaka, and Val, be a threat to Boston in the East? Will Kahwi's heart be in it, will he be convinced to stay, or is he just counting down the days until he can choose his own destiny?

Will the Embiid/Simmons Sixers continue their rise, or will they falter? Will Fultz live up to his draft stock?

The Spurs have moved on from the Kawhi drama. Will their new LMA/DeRozan led core make any noise out West? Will this season be Pops' swan song?

Having locked Paul George up long-term, swapped Melo for Schroeder, and gotten back Andre Roberson after his injury, will OKC be improved? Or did they just make lateral moves?

Will Chicago's Jabari Parker experiment, combined with the addition of rookie Wendell Carter, see any success(i.e. 8th seed), or will the Carter/Lauri/Parker/LaVine/Dunn core be headed to the lottery again?

Will the Cavs be a treadmill team with Love leading the way, or will they be outright bad?

Will swapping Gortat for Dwight improve the Wizards? Or will Dwight continue his streak of not making his teams better?

Will DeAndre Jordan make Dallas any better?

Will Porzingis get back to his pre-injury form, or will it permanently affect his game?

How will the marquee rookies look? Ayton? Doncic? Bagley? Bamba? Young?

namkcuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hewson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:12 AM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
The other thread is nearly at 1000 and has been going for two seasons, and preseason starts in two weeks, so I figured it's a good time to start a new thread.

I used to post questions when I would start these threads, so I figured I'd so now...
I've missed these

Quote:
Will the Warriors become the first team since the Shaq/Kobe Lakers to three-peat?
Barring massive injury problems (and a 5% chance that Boogie Cousins is just a dick and ruins things) - yes.

Quote:
How will the LeBron Lakers fare in year one? Will they surprise people and contend quickly? Or is this going to be a punted season while they hope for FA re-enforcements next summer?
The roster as currently constructed will have to fight to make the playoffs. If they don't make any moves, then I think this year is a punt. They're waiting for Kawhi (and shhhhh Anthony Davis).

But as is? Man... West is just too damn good.

Quote:
Houston lost Ariza and Anderson and added Melo, Chriss, and Knight. Will they be better or worse than last season?
Worse, but not by a ton

Quote:
Will Boston, with Kyrie and Hayward healthy, be as good as advertised? Will they make the finals?
Yes, unless Kyrie forces a trade to the Knicks.

Quote:
Will the new-look Raptors, led by Kahwi and Lowry with Green, Ibaka, and Val, be a threat to Boston in the East? Will Kahwi's heart be in it, will he be convinced to stay, or is he just counting down the days until he can choose his own destiny?
They're the 2nd best team and will be a finalist I'd Boston implodes. Better question - will Kawhi speak in public this season?

Quote:
Will the Embiid/Simmons Sixers continue their rise, or will they falter? Will Fultz live up to his draft stock?
Stagnate. They won't drop, other than maybe a spot, but they won't make any huge leaps either. Toronto and Boston are both better. Indiana could be better. Washington (see below) could be better.

re: Fultz? No, because even if he fixes that broken slingshot of his, Tatum is still better. But if anyone can fix his jumper it's the guy he worked with (Drew Hanlen). If it's still broke? That shit's broke forever.

Quote:
The Spurs have moved on from the Kawhi drama. Will their new LMA/DeRozan led core make any noise out West? Will this season be Pops' swan song?
They made the playoffs with Leonard playing 8 games last season. Everyone is looking at DeRozan as a downgrade because he's not as good as Kawhi, which is true, but he's a hell of a lot better than whoever played in Kawhi's place in those other 74 games.

Quote:
Having locked Paul George up long-term, swapped Melo for Schroeder, and gotten back Andre Roberson after his injury, will OKC be improved? Or did they just make lateral moves?
Better. Addition by subtraction.

Quote:
Will Chicago's Jabari Parker experiment, combined with the addition of rookie Wendell Carter, see any success(i.e. 8th seed), or will the Carter/Lauri/Parker/LaVine/Dunn core be headed to the lottery again?
In the East, anything is possible.

Quote:
Will the Cavs be a treadmill team with Love leading the way, or will they be outright bad?
In the East, anything is possible.

Quote:
Will swapping Gortat for Dwight improve the Wizards? Or will Dwight continue his streak of not making his teams better?
Ugh.

On paper they are much improved and upgraded their two man weaknesses - Center and a guard off the bench who can spell Brad or John. Wall is also healthy, as is Otto Porter and Markief Morris, and Kelly Oubre has had a great off-season and looks ready to make a huge jump.

But...

It's a volatile mix of personalities. I see them either pushing for wither the 3 or 4 seed if everything goes well, or being in the lottery if it implodes. I don't see a ton of middle ground.

Quote:
Will DeAndre Jordan make Dallas any better?
No. But Luka Doncic sure as shit will.

Quote:
Will Porzingis get back to his pre-injury form, or will it permanently affect his game?
In time, yes. This year, flashes but inconsistent.

Next year? Porzingis, Knox, Kyrie and Butler (or, gasp, KD) and Knicks are all of a sudden in the mix in the East.

Unless Dolan figures out a way to fuck it up. Which is highly possible.

Quote:
How will the marquee rookies look? Ayton? Doncic? Bagley? Bamba? Young?
Doncic rookie of the year, with Kevin Knox right behind him (unless Ben Simmons is eligible again).
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Keep your stinkin' NYK paws off my Kyrie, dammit.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Keep your stinkin' NYK paws off my Kyrie, dammit.
I told you, I'm a wizards fan now
Old 09-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:13 AM
You had the chance to de-date the thread and you didn’t?!?!

Anyways, Dw-yane Wade did his own little “the decision” and is returning for a final season.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
You had the chance to de-date the thread and you didn’t?!?!

You don't think we can get to 1,000 posts this season?

Old 09-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

In all seriousness it’s not really what we can make it to. People are bad at resubscribing so it’s still 2015 in the nhl.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Carmelo has been in Houston for less than a month and their defensive coach has decided to retire.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Out of frustration or out of acknowledgement that there’s no point?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

"spend time with the family"
Old 09-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

ESPN's player rankings put Ben Simmons ahead of Klay Thompson. That's some bullshit.
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Happy media day everyone