NBA 2018-19 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm feeling pretty confident the Celtics have gotten their shit together and if healthy will be able to beat the Raptors in the playoffs.
They beat the Bulls by 56 Saturday without Horford and Baynes.
They beat The Brow Monday without Kyrie, Hayward, Horford and Baynes. Then they beat the Headaches last night in DC without Hayward, Horford and Brown.

But did you just point to their problem when everyone's healthy? Too many cooks in the kitchen?

The Bulls by the way are a complete disaster. GAF must be thrilled.

I think they have that figured out now with Smart starting and Brown and Hayward coming off the bench.

As for the Bulls, Michael Jordan must be rolling over on his blackjack table.

lol okay then, sorry i mentioned the raptors guys. carry on with your discussion of how the 5th place team is going to beat them and make the finals because the raptors lost to lebron the last few years.

Last edited:
lol ok then sorry for talking about the nba har har har

team has done the exact same thing for the last three years. I was on them last year as the best team in the East. where were you pumping them up then?

and then they got their asses smoked by a team that needed 7 games to beat Indiana and Boston's 3rd string and got curb stomped by the warriors.

they have a great young core. They have the best player in the East for at least another couple of months. They don't have LeBron anymore. They're clearly the best team in the Eastern conference right now and I don't think it's nearly as close as hewson does.

But I'm not getting on them again until Kyle Lowry can prove that he can go out in the playoffs and not shit the bed - something that he's done every. single. time.

lol okay then, sorry i mentioned the raptors guys. carry on with your discussion of how the 5th place team is going to beat them and make the finals because the raptors lost to lebron the last few years.

I can guarantee you the Celtics won't be "the 5th place team" for long.
Raptors & Celts will almost assuredly be the top 2 seeds in the east when all is said and done.
And they have spilt so far this year, each wining at home. Raptors are good, I just think when the Celtics are better. They scuffled to start the season figuring out rotations etc.
They are rolling now, having won 7 straight.

Instead of getting upset when someone questions whether your team should already plan their parade route, just engage in the discussion.

well yea it's a little frustrating when every time i've mentioned them this season i've been met with "lol playoff chokers lowry sux talk to me when they make the finals" even when they emphatically beat the consensus best team in the nba. like, i don't give a shit about what happened last year or the year before that. that was essentially a completely different team. but if you guys just wanna dwell on lebron whenever i remind you that the raptors exist then whatever, i'll simply keep going on reddit to have a decent discussion about them.

I'm not dwelling on LeBron or their past, just saying that as good as they are, I think the Celtics top to bottom are better this year. Not record wise yet obviously, but I think the Celts roster is deeper. As I said, Celts had a rough start to the season, but seem to have got it in gear now.

It's like the Capitals prior to last season. It was totally fair and justifiable to tack on the "yea but" to the end of any discussion about their regular season success.

Or the Red Sox pre-2004.

Toronto has won at least 48 games in each of the past 5 seasons. That they are great in the regular season is not a new phenomena. They need to prove it in the playoffs.

That they have Kawhi instead of DeRozen absolutely gives them more credibility, and Dany Green was a sneakily good toss in to that trade.

None of that negates that there are still many players on that roster with a history of poor playoff performances, and to ignore that would be silly.

They are absolutely one or the two favorites to win the East, along with Boston. Philly and Milwaukee are next in line, and the Pacers are starting to get their act together as well.

6, 7, 8 are your typical Eastern Conference dumpster fires.

Last edited:
well yea it's a little frustrating when every time i've mentioned them this season i've been met with "lol playoff chokers lowry sux talk to me when they make the finals" even when they emphatically beat the consensus best team in the nba. like, i don't give a shit about what happened last year or the year before that. that was essentially a completely different team. but if you guys just wanna dwell on lebron whenever i remind you that the raptors exist then whatever, i'll simply keep going on reddit to have a decent discussion about them.
You've popped in to talk about them twice, after each Golden State game, as if a discussion about whether or not they're capable of getting over the hump is the most ridiculous thing in the world and people are stupid for even bringing it up.

fine. this is the first year i've paid way more attention to basketball than to hockey. i'm a lot less familiar with the NBA than any other sports league and usually i'm completely lost when you guys talk about strategy and stats and other teams because i really don't know that much about basketball beyond the basics yet. but i'll try to come in here with something other than cheering after my team wins big games so that there's other things to talk about around them than their past playoff performances. i would actually like to talk from time to time about *this* season's raptors in a little more depth than "they're good but who cares because playoffs" if that's not too much to ask.

fine. this is the first year i've paid way more attention to basketball than to hockey. i'm a lot less familiar with the NBA than any other sports league and usually i'm completely lost when you guys talk about strategy and stats and other teams because i really don't know that much about basketball beyond the basics yet. but i'll try to come in here with something other than cheering after my team wins big games so that there's other things to talk about around them than their past playoff performances. i would actually like to talk from time to time about *this* season's raptors in a little more depth than "they're good but who cares because playoffs" if that's not too much to ask.
:up:

always happy to talk more in depth.

I actually do think that this is the year they'll break through. Kawhi is a top 5 player in the league, and they don't seem to have the same issues with players buying into roles that Boston has been having.

Will likely come down to Boston Toronto in the conference finals. Can't rule out Milwaukee or Philly, but Bucks still need to prove that they're for real over the long haul and Philly still needs a couple of dudes who can shoot outside 5 feet.

what happened to the sixers anyways? i remember last year during the playoffs everyone seemed to be picking them to take a huge leap forward this season and probably be the team to beat in the east.

Meh.. they were kind of middling around last season until they added a couple of shooters. Both of those guys are gone now. Tried force feeding Markelle Fultz at the start of the season, which was a disaster. Turned it around somewhat after trading for Jimmy "General Soreness" Butler but now Embiid doesn't seem to be happy that he's not getting as many touches as he did before the trade.

They're still good but they'll need to add a few small pieces before the deadline to jump up to a true contender.

Considering they beat Golden State by 20 points without Kawhi in the lineup on a back-to-back in California is pretty impressive... But yeah, its come to the point where unless they do something in the playoffs this is all kind of meaningless.

giphy.gif

But did you just point to their problem when everyone's healthy? Too many cooks in the kitchen?

The Bulls by the way are a complete disaster. GAF must be thrilled.
I think Markkanen is one of the best young players in the league and I also really like the Wendell Carter pick so the future isn't *completely* bleak.

But yes, a disaster other than that. Give me Zion.

Also, the Bears are really good for the first time in a decade and the Sox might get Harper so the Bulls are currently kind of low on my priority list.

I like the Lakers too and they have LeBron James! He's pretty good at basketball. The Fighting Illini are bad at everything, though (except volleyball...we're in the Final Four!)

Everyone was talking about their team so I figured since you guys all have important things to talk about, I’d update you with how much of a throwaway season we are having dancing with Dwayne Wade

what happened to the sixers anyways? i remember last year during the playoffs everyone seemed to be picking them to take a huge leap forward this season and probably be the team to beat in the east.

Meh.. they were kind of middling around last season until they added a couple of shooters. Both of those guys are gone now. Tried force feeding Markelle Fultz at the start of the season, which was a disaster. Turned it around somewhat after trading for Jimmy "General Soreness" Butler but now Embiid doesn't seem to be happy that he's not getting as many touches as he did before the trade.

They're still good but they'll need to add a few small pieces before the deadline to jump up to a true contender.

Last season they ended with that huge win streak and rolled through their first playoff series and everybody jumped on the bandwagon (something normally reserved for the Spurs :wink: )
They were big favorites to beat the Celts in round 2 even though Celts were the 1 seed (because Kyrie Irving was out) and got demolished. A closer look at their huge run to close the season and they played almost every one of those games against the dregs of the league.

They lost some of their bench depth this offseason as Headache mentions, and the one remark I made when I saw the Celts beat them on opening night was they lacked depth. Then they traded 2 core pieces for Butler. Clearly Butler is a better player than either Covington or Brad Pitt's twin Saric, but both those guys played 30+ minutes, Butler can't fill all those minutes. Combine that with Fultz being a head case who's literally gone off the reservation and their depth is 2 men less than opening night when I thought they lacked depth.
So unless they add a couple of very good pieces before the trade deadline, I don't see them doing any better than last year. Win one round possibly against an Indiana or Detroit or similar then get drubbed in 4 or 5 by Boston or Toronto.

Milwaukee I think is the 3rd best team in the east and has maybe the best player, they could surprise if they get hot at the right time, but if everyone is relatively healthy come spring I think its realistically a 2 horse race in the east between Celts and Raptors, and I give either a fair shot to beat Golden Shower assuming that's the finals opponent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom