NBA 2016-17: The Season After the Warriors Blew a 3-1 Lead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they would make a call in favor of the home team in general, not specifically the Warriors. It's not rocket science that the actual, tangible manifestation of "home court advantage" is, more than anything else, that the officials (in all sports) favor the home team.

But yeah, this is no conspiracy. Just more fuck ups in a tough sport to officiate.

indeed. a block/charge call in basketball is as hard a call to make as any in all of sports. the vast majority of them can go either way.

meanwhile...

34089650_10156693839550934_7598597994815946752_n.jpg

If I was the coach of a player who did that, I'd have a hard time ever playing that guy again. I was seething last night, and I don't even care about these two teams.

I think the more egregious calls happened earlier in the game, specifically a sequence of foul call on Durant and non-call on Lebron that ended up meaning a 4 point swing.

I don't think there's a conspiracy to help the Warriors. But that game 7 against Houston was ridiculously poorly officiated. Harden sort of deserves it given how he's officiated in the regular season...

JR's mistake there is unfathomable, but even if they get an immediate time-out, chances are that game still goes to OT. The changed call on the charge is the pivotal moment. I don't know if the NBA sees it like the NFL, where there has to be something really convincing to overturn the initial call - but even the analyst ref was saying that it was too close to determine. Seems to me in such a significant moment, the initial call should stand.

Meh... Ty Lue should be just as livid at himself for seeing JR being JR and not calling the timeout himself.
In real time, I thought he was (4 seconds left) trying to get an angle to pass to LeBron, (3 seconds left), trying to go call a timeout and thought he needed to run to the sideline for some reason, (2 seconds left) unaware of the score. So I get why it took a second for LeBron and Lue to realize what was happening.

"I guess the rule is," Ty Lue said of the block-charge fiasco post-game, "You can review... you can review the call if it's inside or outside the restricted [area] is the rule that I know. And I mean, they called a charge, right? And LeBron was clearly four feet outside the restricted area. The review is if he's on the line or if he's close to the charge circle. That's the review. He wasn't close. So what are we reviewing?"

i get Ty Lue being upset that the call was overturned... but this is just wrong

--when KD picked up his dribble and started his move to the rim, LeBron's heel was on the restricted circle.
--when contact was made LeBron was not "clearly 4 feet" outside of the restricted area. He was about a foot and a half outside, or roughly one step.
--the time difference from when LeBron had his heel on the restricted area to the time that contact was made was 0.5 seconds.

You're telling me it's not conceivable that in that half second the ref did a quick scan of his feet, saw it was close to the circle, looked up and saw the contact, and wasn't 100% sure if he was in or not? come on. we all have the benefit of slow motion instant replay. in real time this entire thing happened in half a second. is it a little questionable? sure, but let's not make this out to be the most outrageous call in the history of basketball (looking at you, Shams)

Even though I'm clearly a Wizards fan now, I'm still not fucking over 1997. That team was the Knicks best shot at beating Chicago, and they were absolutely rolling until the PJ Brown incident.

In the most severe penalty ever imposed during the playoffs, the National Basketball Association suspended five Knicks, including Patrick Ewing, and one Miami Heat player today for their part in a fight at the end of a game Wednesday night.

As a result, the Knicks will play without their two leading scorers, Ewing and Allan Houston, and the reserve Charlie Ward in Game 6 of their Eastern Conference semifinal series at Madison Square Garden Friday night.

Though none of the players who left the Knicks bench threw punches, Ewing merely stood at halfcourt watching the fray and at least one Knick, Johnson, clearly tried to act as a peacemaker, Thorn followed to the letter a league rule on leaving the bench.

League rules state that at least nine players must be in uniform for a playoff game, so only three Knicks -- Ewing, Houston and Ward -- will miss Game 6. Starks and Johnson can play Friday night but would miss either Game 7 against the Heat or, if the Knicks win Friday night, Game 1 of the next round against Chicago.

When multiple suspensions are given out, the league goes in alphabetical order to determine who is suspended first, using the first letter of a player's last name for determination. Thus, Ewing and Houston must sit out Game 6 instead of Johnson and Starks. Ward must sit out immediately because he was one of the principals in the fight and was in the game at the time it occurred.

Ewing, a 12-year veteran who has made winning a league championship his primary career goal, was stunned today when he was informed of the decision. He descended a stairway to get ready for practice when he was told by a reporter, and he walked resolutely through a doorway without saying a word.

Horse shit.

Is this where your not-so-repressed hatred for Miami comes from
No. This is where it was cemented for eternity.

This...

Leaving the largest contract ever offered to a basketball coach sitting on the table, Pat Riley resigned unexpectedly as coach of the New York Knicks on Thursday.

He made the announcement in a prepared statement, released through a public relations firm. He informed the Knicks with a fax, apparently catching them by surprise.

...this is where it comes from.

That game was awful. This is looking more like a sweep all the time.

JR's face at the end summed it up pretty well.

They almost won game 1 on the road. They’re going home. I wouldn’t think it’s looking like a sweep.
Eh... mentally this team has been barely hanging on by a thread all season. That they made it this far is a testament to LeBron's greatness (and the East's awfulness)... but they look tapped out.

If they lose game 3 I think they get swept. If they won game 3? They can extend it to 5.

So turns out the last two days was just a negotiation that the team would let him resign and pretend he didn't know about the burners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom