National Hockey League 2013-14 season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a dream for sure... it's not a question that Chicago would choose Toews. Phaneuf is also a bloated contract that nobody wants to take care of. Chicago is loaded on D, and they've got a lot of money already pumped into their defense. Where would Phaneuf even play in Chicago?

Not a chance in hell. Phaneuf's value is largely diminished by his contract.

It's a dream for sure... it's not a question that Chicago would choose Toews. Phaneuf is also a bloated contract that nobody wants to take care of. Chicago is loaded on D, and they've got a lot of money already pumped into their defense. Where would Phaneuf even play in Chicago?

Not a chance in hell. Phaneuf's value is largely diminished by his contract.

Oh I'm aware it's a total pipe dream, I just wish that the Leafs would do something one of these days to address the problems at centre; it's been a huge issue basically ever since Mats Sundin left, and even then other than him there wasn't any depth to fill the gap. Phil Kessel is good but he isn't the franchise player that can carry the team, as has been proven time and again, despite what the front office says.

A big name, first line centreman or a top-2 defenseman is what I'm really hoping for, although most likely the Leafs will sign some scrub left winger for an outrageous overpriced contract and try to convince the fan base that it's going to suddenly make them Cup contenders. :|

The Leafs need to stop trying to please the fans and just be bad enough to be good in the future.

They continuously try and do patchwork to a broken frame and end up middle of the pack not looking up or down.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Leafs need to stop trying to please the fans and just be bad enough to be good in the future.

They continuously try and do patchwork to a broken frame and end up middle of the pack not looking up or down.

That's right. They do a fantastic job of not being able to get players who would genuinely help the team, and instead sign players they don't need which just kills the available cap space to actually address problems in the lineup.

They need to either decide that they must rebuild entirely and get maximum trade value from the players they have, or use what they have now as a base to seriously address the issues, this middling "we couldn't get anybody better so we gave a guy who had one decent season superstar dollars" crap has got to be over.

I just hope Shanny has enough management sense to actually right the ship and steer it out of the icebergs. If he needs to tear it down, so be it. I'd rather the team be awful to the point of unwatchable for the next 2-3 years if it means contending down the road, rather than watch them put in mediocre season after mediocre season until the point where they bottom out anyways and then are so far in the hole that there's nothing that can be done for a decade.

As a former Haligonian I can say that I wholeheartedly support bringing Nikolaj Ehlers onto the team. The guy made everyone else on the ice with him much better, and that was back when I last saw the Mooseheads play when he was 16/17. I can only imagine that he's gotten that much better and physically more developed since then and I think he'd be a good fit on the team, so long as the system doesn't ruin him.

Also can't believe Jason Garrison went for so cheap.

Also can't believe Ryan Kesler went for so pricey (though I know many irrational disagreements will be made on this one).

My stupid signature from my stupid iPhone using my stupid data plan.

One minute Dreger says deal is imminent. The next George Richards says nothing is happening.

I'm far more inclined to believe Richards though.

My stupid signature from my stupid iPhone using my stupid data plan.

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it, although Dreger is by far the best-connected hockey journalist in Canada. He has previously reported though that deals are basically done when in actuality all that's happened is two GM's spoke on the phone. Who knows really :shrug:

George Richards is the Panthers beat writer for the Miami Herald, and the most inside of sources for the Florida Panthers. He speaks directly with Dale Tallon, regularly.

I'd also choose Pierre LeBrun as my 1 OA Canadian writer :p

Dreger's not a great reporter, I agree that Bob McKenzie is better at the actual broadcasting and reporting side of things. My dad works as a teacher in the TV production business and has a lot of industry contacts via former students who work for TSN, and the word on the street is that McKenzie has alienated a lot of NHL front office types who are reluctant to give him information (although there are still a lot that do), and that Dreger is the one who fosters a lot of the connections. Much of the info that McKenzie and Duthie and the others on the TSN panel get actually comes from Darren Dreger's information.

I gotta say I'm not a huge fan or Lebrun though, no specific reason why, I'm just not a fan of his broadcasting & writing styles.

10 more minutes to kickoff.

I have no gripe against Dreger.. I just don't like when reporters blow the same smoke that's being blown at them. I know he's good for his word though.

I have no gripe against Dreger.. I just don't like when reporters blow the same smoke that's being blown at them. I know he's good for his word though.

Yeah Dreger jumps the gun sometimes but in this day and age where the pressure is on each network to be the first to break the story he does do his best. I believe what he has to say more than any of the other hockey journos around.

Well, the Leaes ended up taking William Nylander, a centre from Sweden. Can't say I've ever heard of the guy but it's not like I've been paying close attention to prospects. I am glad they went and got a centre though at least.

EDIT: I am surprised that Ehlers hasn't been picked yet, I figured top 10 for sure, although I'm just refreshing the TSN page since I'm at work so it's possible that he's been picked and the page just hasn't been updated

William Nylander is Michael Nylander's son. He's a stud player. Great pick. Surprised Ehlers fell too though. I blame Vancouver.

:lol:

I genuinely had no idea, I figured it was a rarity and couldn't look it up at work.

File this post under "shit happens".

It's okay. It's not like the first goalie chosen last year was a Halifax player. Oh...wait.

And the first goalie chosen in 2014, 34th overall in the second round, was Mason Macdonald from...Halifax.

Can someone please explain why Buffalo is buying out Ehrhoff?

The only possible explanation is "we want to suck but we also need cap hit to reach the floor."

In other news, rumor has it the Flyers will trade Vincent Lecavalier to Florida in exchange for Scottie Upshall on Wednesday, when Vinny gets his signing bonus from Philly.

That works for me since he's got one year left on his deal. We badly need to get rid of that contract, as well as about half of our defense contracts.

Florida definitely wont like that contract when it comes time to re-sign their youngsters down the line, but it's a swell move for a win now team that needs to clear up room at wing. If only it were Kopecky instead of Upshall... although I'm happy with either of them gone.

Back
Top Bottom