National Hockey League 2013-14 season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stand down. Subban took a call in the middle of talking to reporters at an event, and people assumed it was from his agent or the Canadiens. He comes back 25 minutes later and says it was his mom calling....he left the BBQ grill on. :lol:

There's three and a half hours to go before the arbitration hearing. This thing is going down to the wire. Reports from reputable sources indicate Montreal made a "significant" offer, a max-length eight year deal, and both sides are just ironing out the final details.

I'm starting to get anxious.

Well,looks like that bridge contract wasn't enough.

Bergevin and Therrien need to see more.

...........And i agree.

Because PK Subban is hitting arbitration? I don't get it... what's the big deal?

He's an arbitration eligible player. They took him to arbitration.

And when he's no longer an arbitration eligible player? They'll extend him to some fat contract.

Also, you should feel the same sort of existential dread... your team made the ECF.

Do you know how terribly satisfying losing in the first round was... two years ago? We basically won the Stanley Cup!

Players like Doughty and Pietrangelo signed their big contracts immediately after their rookie deals. That wasn't the case with Subban.

He was asked to sign a so-called bridge deal, under the assumption that if he proves himself he will get his big payday. So he signs a 2-year deal at a major discount.

And what has he done since? Won a Norris trophy (albeit in a shortened season, but somebody had to win it), selected to the Olympic team and won a gold medal while being a model teammate in accepting a reduced role, and is generally regarded as one of the most dynamic defencemen in the NHL.

He is charismatic, well-spoken, and a burgeoning superstar. Probably the biggest (non-goalie) star that Montreal has had since Guy Lafleur. A generational talent.

So I don't get what Montreal is doing. What more do they need to see? There are 29 other teams that would pick him up in a heartbeat. And the rhetoric coming out of today's meeting is not very encouraging.

A bridge deal is NOT a 'major discount.'

And bridge deals happen ALL the time. You're trying to make this look a lot worse than it is. And please, don't call him a model teammate. That has no truth and certainly means nothing in terms of salary.

You can't compare him to Doughty and you can't compare him to Pietrangelo. Doughty won a Stanley Cup. Doughty was drafted 2nd overall (yes that absolutely matters when it comes to getting paid). Pietrangelo was drafted 4th overall. Pietrangelo comes from a team where they've got a much higher responsibility to lock up their players.

It's also laughable to call PK Subban generational talent. Pass the pipe, man. Sidney Crosby is generational talent. Alexander Ovechkin is generational talent. Evgeni Malkin is generational talent. Maybe Stamkos? Nobody else in this league is generational talent, end of story. Lidstrom was generational talent. Hull. Gretzky. Messier. Do not call PK Subban generational talent.

Generational specific to the Habs, as in he's their biggest talent (not named Roy) in 30 years.

And at $2.75 million per, the bridge deal was most definitely a discount, especially when you consider Montreal gave an injured Emelin $4 million per year on his second deal.

That's a franchise player, not generational talent.

Yes, players are had for cheap when they are restricted. Often that's the case. The same thing happened with Jay Bouwmeester in Florida (but that wasn't because Florida wouldn't offer him long term, that's because he didn't want to be in Florida).

You don't see restricted players making money. It just doesn't happen. Why do you think guys like Pietrangelo are at 6.5 AAV? It's low not because of some "discount"for signing long term. It's low because the average value takes into account those restricted years (7 years pro or under 27, whichever comes first).

No player, ever, gets money for being restricted.

P.K. can cry all the crocodile tears of his body about all the bad things the habs lawyers throw at him during the hearing,but never..NEVER forget that it was him that asked to use the route of arbitration,not Marc Bergevin.I assume that Don Meehan explain to him what were the implication of taking that road and what he would have to hear during 90 minute.

Chris Johnston nail this perfectly,the bad guy in all of this isn't Bergevin.

Subban negotiating with larger plan at work - Sportsnet.ca

I'm shocked.You go through that process of arbitration, punching him in the face for 90 minutes saying all the negative aspects of his game,and then 24 hours later you cave in?????What was the point of yesterday?

If the rumours of Geoff Molson sticking his nose in the last 24 hours are true,i wonder how Bergevin feels about that.

..relieved that he was given the $ to keep one of the best players around??

Also, maybe you should check out what Subban himself said about the "90 minute punch-out" you seem concerned about.

You know what's funny? Habs fans freaking out that he won't be signed. Now they're freaking out that he was signed for so long.

I'm shocked.You go through that process of arbitration, punching him in the face for 90 minutes saying all the negative aspects of his game,and then 24 hours later you cave in?????What was the point of yesterday?

If the rumours of Geoff Molson sticking his nose in the last 24 hours are true,i wonder how Bergevin feels about that.

Seriously, have you never heard of arbitration before?

According to Reddit users:

KIQI4sf.gif

Rhd1gjG.png

PS8UVK0.png

I like that the Kings are the most hated team in California.

The Bruins' roster is full of douchebags, not surprised that basically everyone that isn't a fan hates them.

Last edited:
Are those jokes, or based on actual stats? I have a hard time believing the Blues are more hated than the Red Wings, even with the reshuffle.

Yeah, when the population is reddit users, you're more guaranteed a certain type of person.

Either way, there's no real purpose so it's no big deal. Still funny to see.

Lakers - most hated team in California
Heat - most hated team in Florida

They just can't get any love, can they?

Back
Top Bottom