National Hockey League 2013-14 season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right, I know there's more Hawks fans. What I'm saying though is that more non-aligned fans want to see LA-NYR than almost any other series out there (Canadian teams are question marks).

a little more to the story

LA market is bigger than Chicago
LA market has 2 teams, are Ducks fans to lame to watch?

I think most Chicago fans will watch next week, perhaps wanting to see LA lose

and also, the Kings were 0-3 at one time, makes them more interesting for all NHL fans

Which was pretty much my point. The LA-NYR matchup has been a long desired matchup in the finals and the interests surrounding it from a non-aligned stance (not including Rangers or Kings fans, or Chicago fans if they were in it) have the highest possibilities.

I can see both sides of the argument.
soon enough these games will be over and the ratings will be known,

I expect these finals to be really good, :shrug:

It's interesting in that the two coasts haven't faced off in a championship in over 20 years, but that's it. I'll have to take your word for it.

Hawks-Habs would have been a brilliant original six clash with a modern NHL power facing the league's most historically successful franchise.

Last edited:
I just don't see the Kings having much of a national following. (And sadly a pathetic local following as well)

Hockey is a far different animal than basketball or baseball.

Lakers/Knicks or Dodgers/Yanks are probable ratings monsters, I don't think Kings/Rangers will be.

We shall see.

And who is the biggest "star" in this series? Lundqvist?

Thats the biggest problem. No star power really. I mean, Gaborik? St. Louis.? Quick? Not household names outside of die hard NHL fans.
A team like Pittsburgh would be a significantly bigger draw even though the market is way smaller than either of these just because of Crosby. This series may play well with hockey purists but I don't know that it'll draw in a lot of folks who don't watch a lot of hockey otherwise.

What do you mean by "the two coasts"? We had Devils/Ducks in 2003...thats almost a NY/LA matchup.

That's the lesser of both sides, for sure. And one of the greatest Stanley Cups (my personal favorite) of the past decade.

And who is the biggest "star" in this series? Lundqvist?

There's a lot of stories going on here... I don't think you need a star. The low seeded Kings vs. The King himself. Marty St. Louis and Brad Richards are back after a decade, with a new team. Rick Nash and his first look at the Cup, after an entire career of him being considered non-playoff worthy. Same goes for Gaborik, really. Another Staal brother is Cup eligible.

Make no mistake, this time it's pretty much all about the Rangers. But the East vs. West is much more of a new age matchup that the NHL has desired for some time. And I mean, you do have the comeback Kings who should've been toast several times this playoffs. Same with the Rangers.

I really don't think anyone watched the playoffs for anyone outside of Sidney Crosby, anyways. "Patrick Kane" isn't a household name, either. You've got two household names with Crosby and Ovechkin. Maybe some people stuck in the past might know Ryan Miller from the Olympics, or TJ Oshie more recently lol.

Youppi! was originally the Expos mascot. As to what he is, no one knows, but he's orange because the Expos' first big star, Rusty Staub, had flaming red hair and was known in French as 'Le Grande Orange'.

He was orphaned in 2004 when the Expos left for Washington, and the Canadiens adopted him shortly afterward.

a pretty good game one

and ratings??

The Hollywood Reporter published the overnight ratings for Wednesday’s night’s Stanley Cup Final Game 1 broadcast on NBC. And like most statistics, you can pull what you want from them.

If you’re Gary Bettman, you’ll be happy to trumpet that Los Angeles’ 3-2 OT win over the Rangers pulled the second-biggest overnight ratings for a Game 1 in NBC history: a 3.8 among households. That’s way up from the 2.4 delivered by the 2012 opener featuring the Kings and Devils, and it gave the Peacock network first place for the night.

Hockey viewership in Los Angeles was also way up. The game earned a 7.1 households rating in the nation’s biggest market. That’s the third-best number ever for a hockey game in L.A. and it suggests a growing level of interest that can be built on in the future.

The news isn’t all good, however. The numbers were down more than 20 percent from last year’s record-breaking opener featuring Boston and Chicago. It’s clear tough for even the nation’s two largest TV markets to match the hockey passion in Beantown and the Second City.

Hawks/Rangers would have done better numbers. Highly doubtful that Bruins viewership alone accounted for that record-breaking game 1 figure last year.

Glad to hear that LA actually supported their team for once, although I'll be curious to see if that interest is sustained throughout the series.

Last edited:
hollywood reporter says so

it must be tru

the teams are in no 1 and no 2 markets, that should mean ...
you can't watch Dodger games in LA unless you pay for TW cABLE

Hawks/Rangers would have done better numbers. Highly doubtful that Bruins viewership alone accounted for that record-breaking game 1 figure last year.

Glad to hear that LA actually supported their team for once, although I'll be curious to see if that interest is sustained throughout the series.

I imagine it's going to grow through the series.

However, it's likely that Chicago could've done better. I do think last year was more Boston (remember, marathon etc.), but given the amazing game 7 performance for ratings (best NHL performance ever, I think?) I would have to imagine Chicago would've done way better than LA.

However, on the grand scale it's really hard to see what's going on here.I figure people don't care about the Kings, but would rather care about the matchup as a whole. Do people not care for the Rangers, either?

Neither LA or NY is really a hockey town, and neither team has a strong national following. Buffalo again outrated LA last night, and Boston came just short of LA's rating. And as mentioned before no real star power. Game 2 has the Belmont as a lead in, with the prospect of a triple crown, so there should be a strong audience to start, we'll see how it holds. 3 and 4 go back to NBCSN, so the ratings will probably dip a bit, games 5-7 will be the true test.

Neither LA or NY is really a hockey town, and neither team has a strong national following. Buffalo again outrated LA last night, and Boston came just short of LA's rating. And as mentioned before no real star power. Game 2 has the Belmont as a lead in, with the prospect of a triple crown, so there should be a strong audience to start, we'll see how it holds. 3 and 4 go back to NBCSN, so the ratings will probably dip a bit, games 5-7 will be the true test.

I think you're vastly overrating star power in the NHL.

I think you're vastly overrating star power in the NHL.

Its not vital, but I think if they want to draw in casual viewers they need some.
Obviously there's only a handful of household names in the NHL, but having one of those in the finals would be a big boost to ratings.

Again hockey is different than the other sports in that the size of the market is not as vital to ratings as the demographic (the ratings in Buffalo should be a good indication of this), there are certain "hockey hotbed" cities like Detroit, Chicago, Boston, Buffalo and Minneapolis...places like LA and NY are not traditional hockey viewing markets...LA has shown some increase the past few years with the Kings being good, but I'll be interested to see when the rating for game 1 of the NBA finals come out later if that outdrew game 1 of the NHL in LA even though the Kings were playing....wouldn't shock me.

Back
Top Bottom