National Hockey League 2013-14 season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and the Yotes and Preds. So I figure you meant the playoffs haha. Of course.. didn't account for Winnipeg but that wouldn't be fair.

"@MarkLazerus #Blackhawks have given up goals with 1:45, :02, :07, 1:09 and :02 left in periods in this series."

This series is doubly difficult to watch because the Blues haven't dominated a single one of these games; they went in injured and are playing some pretty weak hockey. Meanwhile, mental breakdowns and unnecessary penalties are destroying us every game. I would be shocked if they won another series.

Last edited:
Depends what you're calling dominating... St. Louis has certainly been on the dominant side of their game despite not necessarily being on the dominant side of scoring (but still sneaking by).

Depends what you're calling dominating... St. Louis has certainly been on the dominant side of their game despite not necessarily being on the dominant side of scoring (but still sneaking by).

Game 1 was extremely even

Game 2 the Blues had a fantastic first period and let it slip away for the rest of the game before sneaking back in at the last possible second

Game 3 they got shut out, there's nothing dominant to be taken from that

Game 4 has been all Blackhawks so far except for 2 minutes of the 2nd

And yet, we very well may be down 3-1 in a few minutes. As I said, mental mistakes. The Blues seemed to have a 10 minute long power play that helped them rally back in game 2. Giving up two goals in 90 seconds tonight. Etc.

Last edited:
And yet, here we are in OT.

I'd like to put this out there: it is my opinion that the first round of the NHL playoffs is the best thing in sports. There's drama, intensity, excitement, close games, double or triple overtime games. All packed within two weeks.

Game 1 was extremely even

Game 2 the Blues had a fantastic first period and let it slip away for the rest of the game before sneaking back in at the last possible second

Game 3 they got shut out, there's nothing dominant to be taken from that

Game 4 has been all Blackhawks so far except for 2 minutes of the 2nd

And yet, we very well may be down 3-1 in a few minutes. As I said, mental mistakes. The Blues seemed to have a 10 minute long power play that helped them rally back in game 2. Giving up two goals in 90 seconds tonight. Etc.

What an absurd assessment. St. Louis wins and they were just close games. Chicago wins and they dominated?

Game 3 was a well played game by the Blues and the only reason they lost was a 34 save shutout effort by Corey Crawford. As a team, it was St. Louis pressuring Chicago not to fuck up the entire game.

Game 1 was pretty even, but game 4 is absolutely the first time where Chicago had looked to be the sharper team. St. Louis has gotten lucky with two pretty weak goals to keep this game tied.

This is when we need Kane to show up for work. He put us on his back with that last play, really impressive stuff.

What an absurd assessment.

No more absurd than this statement here:

In fact, this game 4 is the first time St. Louis has been the less dominant team.

It all depends on which team you give the benefit of the doubt to. The Blues weren't the "dominant" team in any one game. Just good enough to win, definitely. I'm not certain you could apply the term "dominate" to any game thus far, but the only team to manage a shutout so far is Chicago, which does count for something, pressure or not. If you don't want to call the Hawks dominant, Crawford certainly was.

My point is that I'm not impressed with St. Louis and a 3-1 deficit would be devastating based on how the series has played out. 2-2 is justifiable, although the way game 2 was lost still stings. 5 fucking seconds.

Last edited:
the "less dominant team" implies a comparative nature of the term "dominant." Don't be going and twisting words for the sake of your silly argument.

Absolutely, Crawford was dominant. Miller was also dominant in that game. Goalies are game changers. They can completely make team play mean nothing, for better or for worse. St. Louis played a better offensive and defensive game in Game 3 than the Blackhawks did. They were bailed out.

Obviously, with this most recent game, the final score doesn't say anything. Yes, the game went to overtime and the Blackhawks won, but just taking a look at how St. Louis scored, and how many offensive opportunities they *didn't* have was enough to say they were the definite weaker team this game.

I'm a fan of neither of these teams. If I was a Blackhawks fan, up until this point, I would be really worried at the play of my team. It isn't until now that they've started to show that they are the defending Stanley Cup champions.

The original point was that the Blues aren't playing dominant hockey to justify a big series lead and that many golden opportunities have been wasted to turn the series on its head. I never once argued that the Blackhawks had been consistently dominant, merely slightly better. The term "dominant" isn't being compared to Chicago's play in this instance, but that hypothetical result. What's silly is that we're still having this argument with the series tied.

Chicago had late 3rd period leads in the first two games and left with nothing to show for them. On the Blues' part, it's very difficult to steal wins that way consistently. Whether you want to credit the Blues or blame the Hawks for losing them is up to you (the late penalties in game 2 were of no credit to the Blues).

My takeaway from this series is that, yes, the Blackhawks are playing extremely shaky hockey that won't get them very far. Based on the Blues' list of injuries, I'm not sure what to make of them. I'm guessing that they will improve if they escape this series, but the west has far better teams waiting for them than this talented but undisciplined Blackhawks team. Our PK was outstanding tonight.

Last edited:
This post season is the last one for Marc André Fleury in the Penguins uniform.

Simply brutal.

I love how they were doing the closeup on his face after he decided he could be Martin Brodeur and play a moving puck coming in way too fast. Betcha he wanted to take a shot.

He looked so dumb.

Pens fans are already so down on him, and then he goes and does something possibly stupider than he's ever done. It was incredible.

4 out of 5 Hawks/Blues games have gone to OT this series.

It's draining to watch but when we pull through like tonight :love:

I've got to hand it to the Blues: they played some astounding defense in the 3rd and in OT. It took one extremely ugly defensive breakdown to blow it open.

This is seriously crazy stuff:

2013 Round 1 Blues vs. Kings (defending Stanley Cup champions)
Game 1: Alex Steen scored game-winning goal in OT.
Game 2: Barret Jackman scored game-winning goal.
Game 3: Blues outshot Kings by nine, got shut out.
Game 4. Blues blew 3-2 lead late in third period, lost 4-3.
Game 5: Alex Pietrangelo scored game-tying goal (his first of the playoffs, assisted by Jaden Schwartz), Blues lost 3-2 in OT.
Game 6: Blues lost 2-1, eliminated from playoffs.

2014 Round 1 Blues vs. Blackhawks (defending Stanley Cup champions)
Game 1: Steen scored game-winning goal in OT.
Game 2: Jackman scored game-winning goal.
Game 3: Blues outshot Blackhawks by nine, got shut out.
Game 4: Blues blew 3-2 lead late in third period, lost 4-3.
Game 5: Pietrangelo scored game-tying goal (his first of the playoffs, assisted by Schwartz), Blues lost 3-2 in OT.
Game 6: ???

Back
Top Bottom