National Hockey League 2013-14 season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LUNEDEMINUIT

Acrobat
New divisions + new playoff format + Sotchi olympic tournement

Countdown is on....only 25 days before camps open.

Seems like the Hawks won the cup just last week.

Well the Leafs did nothing to improve defense, their biggest weakness last year imo.

They lost skill but gainned a lot of grit and experience on foward.

Goaltending was improved, I'm not really convinced that was where we were lacking though.

Hard to say what happens this season, its going to be interesting.

Habs did nothing to up grade their size.Parros is a fighter,not a hockey player,so he won't have any affect on the ice.And Brière,well, he's done and another smurf.

C'mon Bergevin,pick up Brenden Morrow.He can't be that expensive.

Super excited to see the likes of Barkov and Bjugstad in Panther uniforms this season.

In other news, Panthers now in the market for another goalie (as they should've been all off-season).

Tim Thomas?

Nice.

Took me a second (because I just read the news about Brad Boyes getting a training camp offer haha).

I'm not complaining. This means Scott Clemmensen doesn't get to play. Rejoice.

Thomas is my 3rd goalie on my fantasy team so I need him to do well. Mostly because I'd like to trade him (don't care for his style or his attitude but do think that he will have intrinsic value). Would be nice if they moved him to the starting position too.

Thomas is behind a goalie of the future. They'll be splitting the load 1A 1B barring injuries, even if Markstrom isn't playing well. You can guarantee that.

In other news, Dale Tallon just discovered the PTO. Along with Thomas, Bryz, Boyes, Gilroy, and whatshisface, the Panthers have given Tom Gilbert a PTO. Good news!

I'm not sure Markstrom has shown himself to have what it takes to really be a (top notch or even a very good) goalie of the future at this point. He needs to put in more games in order for us to get a better sense of where he's headed.

Clemmensen is just terribly inconsistent, so the move is a no-brainer in that respect.

Trust me, we all hate Clemmensen down here.

I'm not so sure I know what you mean about Markstrom. He's one of the top touted prospects in hockey. He dominated in Sweden. He dominated in the AHL. He's been iffy but practically had an AHL offense and defense in front of him last year... he's got the size and the tools... this will be his second season in the NHL at a very young age. There's no reason to question him, and no reason to assume a 40 year old goalie on a 1 year contract on a team that doesn't look playoff worthy is going to be taking games away from a blue chip goalie prospect.

Thomas was brought in because we all know Clemmensen is a joke, and he will have great turn value at the deadline.

Seriously though, he's 23. He got a shortened season last year for a rookie campaign. Otherwise, dominance. A 6'7" 200 lb goalie who has a positive track record. I'm not quite sure why there's any question here...

The way I see it, Markstrom is young and stepped in too early (not his fault, due to circumstances). He also had the misfortune of playing on what is essentially a shit team. But aside from all that, he was inconsistent and he let in too many goals at the start of the game, or the first period generally.

I don't think we can simply point to age - Holtby is similarly 23 but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't think him to be a far superior goalie, at his age than Markstrom. Yes, there are other intangibles like the teams they play on, etc.

Basically, Markstrom could be very good at some point but to describe him as "dominant" now is out of left field IMO.

The way I see it, Markstrom is young and stepped in too early (not his fault, due to circumstances). He also had the misfortune of playing on what is essentially a shit team. But aside from all that, he was inconsistent and he let in too many goals at the start of the game, or the first period generally.

I don't think we can simply point to age - Holtby is similarly 23 but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't think him to be a far superior goalie, at his age than Markstrom. Yes, there are other intangibles like the teams they play on, etc.

Basically, Markstrom could be very good at some point but to describe him as "dominant" now is out of left field IMO.

Too early? Markstrom no longer needed to be in the SEL. He no longer needed to be in the AHL. When, exactly, do you suggest he started playing too early? Let's be clear here... he has one 'season' under his belt. If that. 23 games, IIRC. Aside from that he's had stray games due to Theo/Clemmer injuries in the past. He was going to be held down in the AHL last season over the team not wanting to pay three goalies previous to Theo's season ending surgery. I guarantee you that.

Braden Holtby, far superior? Seriously? What, did you just compare GAA and call it a day? Holtby settled nicely into his team's system. He's a good goalie, and if anything they're at the same level right now.

Your impression of his inconsistency is totally unfair given the fact that he likely hasn't even completed rookie requirements. Of course his numbers will look erratic. He hardly played. And when he did he had two to three rookie defenders in front of him. And an injured Gudbranson.

I never described him as dominant in the NHL. Don't make assumptions and don't put words into my mouth. You take Braden Holtby and get back to me in the future, we will see how that turns out. And yeah, even get back to me at the end of the season and assuming this team is not a playoff team and Markstrom/Thomas are healthy, regardless of numbers, I can guarantee you that Markstrom will have played more than Tim Thomas.

Let's be clear here... he has one 'season' under his belt. If that. 23 games, IIRC.

Um, that's exactly my point. That we can't possibly know that he is going to be a "goalie of the future" as you claim. I have no idea what that is based on, certainly he was not exemplary in the two dozen or so games he played.

And you said that

He got a shortened season last year for a rookie campaign. Otherwise, dominance.

and then you accuse me of putting the word "dominant" in your mouth.

OK. Dude, take a chill pill honestly.

I don't care who plays for Florida, they're one of the worst teams in the league. I'd like Thomas to get some playing time so that I can inflate his value in my fantasy hockey team, otherwise I DON'T CARE.

Um, that's exactly my point. That we can't possibly know that he is going to be a "goalie of the future" as you claim. I have no idea what that is based on, certainly he was not exemplary in the two dozen or so games he played.

That's based upon numerous scouting reports, prospect rankings, etc. etc. it's well understood that Markstrom is a top-10 prospect in hockey and expected to be a perennial talent.

And you said that

and then you accuse me of putting the word "dominant" in your mouth.

Aside from a rookie campaign where else could he be dominant other than not in the NHL?

OK. Dude, take a chill pill honestly.

I don't care who plays for Florida, they're one of the worst teams in the league. I'd like Thomas to get some playing time so that I can inflate his value in my fantasy hockey team, otherwise I DON'T CARE.

Hah, tell me to take a chill pill. Look at yourself. I was initially just telling you the fact with Florida. The net is centered around Markstrom. He is the future. Thomas is only there for filling in a void and for having flip value on a 1 year contract. I'm just letting you know. He will see probably 30-40 starts assuming both Thomas and Markstrom are healthy and everything goes to plan.

The Florida Panthers have been sold.

Details and announcements on the way. Owner is said to be Nets minority owner Vince Viola. Change in ownership also the reason why so many players were able to be brought in on PTOs, according to coach Dineen.

While we're talking about ownership changes, it should be noted the hilariousness of the Sixers buying the Devils. There's no bigger divide in Philadelphia sports fandom than between Sixers and Flyers fans, and Flyers fans lost their shit.

Back
Top Bottom