National Hockey League 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correction: Much like football (soccer) was invented in England, hockey is now no more a Canadian sport than soccer is an English sport. Canadians still make up the bulk of the athletes, but the game now truly has a distinct international flavour.

In certain markets where "winter is a rumoured concept", the game has taken hold and grown roots. Not every Sun Belt franchise is a failure. For example, the Anaheim Ducks drafted the first ever California-developed prospect in the first round this year, and that never would have happened had those franchises not been there. I suspect as the years roll on, we'll be seeing more and more players from these areas being drafted, thus leading to (possibly) increased popularity.

the mighty ducks of anaheim were popularised by disney

Oh, definitely. I agree. Their popularity has absolutely nothing to do with winning a Stanley Cup championship and the team becoming involved in the community, or an increase in the number of ice rinks in the region and California as a whole.

when they first started, they were a mediocre hockey team. yet people were wearing mighty ducks t-shirts on the other side of the world

supporting a mediocre hockey team - a team that only had paul kariya and teemu selanne

edit as i recall: selanne barely made the ice, he was perpetually injured

I've said this a handful of times over the past decade... but they should be a playoff team. Really friggin impressive as of late.

The Panthers opened 2 games ago against Caroline with 3 goals in 8 minutes, chasing Cam Ward from the net (although that game ended in disaster losing 4-3 in the 3rd period).

They got the message from Carolina, opening against Buffalo 3-0 chasing Ryan Miller in the 1st period, winning 6-2.

Tonight against Philadelphia, they've opened 4-0 through half the game, chasing Bobrovsky.

In the past 3 games, the Panthers have scored the first 10 goals and chased all three goalies. They outshoot their oponents, win more faceoffs, control the puck poesession, draw the penalties, etc. and when you watch them play, they really are impressive to watch for a team filled with plenty of no-name players (or rather, no-name for casual fans, see Santorelli, Weaver, Dadonov, Matthias, Bernier, Thomas, Garrison, etc.). The biggest difference between this team and the teams of the past - Tomas Vokoun is not carrying the Florida Panthers. Everybody is contributing equally. I'm telling you, if they continue to play this way, their luck is soon to change.

world juniors

I guess this is the only approppriate place to put this comment, so here goes:

GO EFFING CANADA GO!!!- No ruskie party tonight!

PS- Note to US hockey fans and sports media....theres a hell of a good tourney going on in your country- the odd acknowledgement if that fact would be welcomed!

Okay so I wrote a nice rant here and... well Interference decided not to work for a 2 minute span in which I hit post. And I couldn't recover the post.

Anyways...

Tin-hat time: NHLOA defeats Panthers 3-2 - Litter Box Cats

Please, watch both videos there.

I'm sure some of you have seen Colton Orr bulldozing Scott Clemmensen, getting a game winning goal, and having the refs simply look the other way when Florida asks for a play review. Several days later, the league apologizes to Florida and admits that the goal should've been reviewed, overturned, and the Panthers should've been on a powerplay for goaltender interference.

So yeah, today, my first game of the season (I live in Orlando)... McCabe shoots... and scores! Oh wait... did he? I mean... the puck pinched in between the pad and the post... but the referee opts to blow his whistle instead. What does goalie Pavelec do? He is visibly seen on camera fishing the puck out of the net. McCabe (goal scorer and Florida Panther captain) is behind the net with the ref. He is literally pointing at the puck which is inside the net... and says "that's a goal, you need to review that".

The refs? They turn their head again. No review on the goal. The Panthers? They lose by 1 goal.

I'm almost certain that the NHL is trying to cover this play up to protect the image of the refs. All video angles on the play end just after the whistle, they do not show the goal-line camera, and they have so far not released any video of Billy Lindsay's commentary just following the mess-up. Furthermore, they went so far as to put the play as 'top 10' for the night on saves.

Sickens me.

world juniors

The day after, I feel bad :yikes:
"This desperation, dislocation
Separation, condemnation
Revelation, in temptation
Isolation, desolation" All apply (except maybe the in temptation part).

A complete and udder meltdown in the third...tough to explain to my kids how and why they lost.

PS- ur welcome Buffalo for having 85% of all tickets sold go to Canadians- made your event a success.

Separation, condemnation

A complete and udder meltdown in the third...tough to explain to my kids how and why they lost.

PS- ur welcome Buffalo for having 85% of all tickets sold go to Canadians- made your event a success.

It's weird (or maybe not). In Minnesota, we get better coverage of high school and college hockey than we do of the NHL or other hockey events.

Perhaps our media is still recovering from losing the North Stars.

Separation, condemnation

It is definitely sad for sure. Hockey is our game, and we proved that by buying so many tickets to not only watch our team play, but to watch all the teams play. I was saddened but not shocked that there was no coverage of this event in the US even though their team was in the Bronze medal game. It is this type of event that gets others interested in the sport.

Oh surprise surprise, definitive angles were released today on NHL Network showing the puck inside the net before the whistle blew.

The reaction? This morning NHL VP of Hockey Operations in the 'War Room' apologizes for not reviewing what should've been a goal, although cites that the referees should've asked for a review.

puckinnet.jpg

I guess this is the only approppriate place to put this comment, so here goes:

GO EFFING CANADA GO!!!- No ruskie party tonight!

PS- Note to US hockey fans and sports media....theres a hell of a good tourney going on in your country- the odd acknowledgement if that fact would be welcomed!

Well, it turns out there was a Ruskie party that night. They partied so hard that Delta booted the team off of their flight. Now, that's a party! :wink:

That's pretty sick.

So... 2nd Panther game of the year... Dont actually care about the game because we lost lol...

BUT... It came to my attention... that the Florida Panthers...

COME OUT ON THE ICE WITH AN OPENING SONG.. CAN ANYONE GUESS WHAT IT IS?

Where the Streets Have No Name! I was so happy hearing that... sitting first row on the glass... made my night regardless of a loss.

The Canucks come out to that song too. :up:

It's been so much fun to watch the Canucks this season, especially in the last month and a half. I always say "this is going to be our year," but this year it actually feels like it just might be possible. Bring on the playoffs! :D

Okay so I wrote a nice rant here and... well Interference decided not to work for a 2 minute span in which I hit post. And I couldn't recover the post.

Anyways...

Tin-hat time: NHLOA defeats Panthers 3-2 - Litter Box Cats

Please, watch both videos there.

I'm sure some of you have seen Colton Orr bulldozing Scott Clemmensen, getting a game winning goal, and having the refs simply look the other way when Florida asks for a play review. Several days later, the league apologizes to Florida and admits that the goal should've been reviewed, overturned, and the Panthers should've been on a powerplay for goaltender interference.

So yeah, today, my first game of the season (I live in Orlando)... McCabe shoots... and scores! Oh wait... did he? I mean... the puck pinched in between the pad and the post... but the referee opts to blow his whistle instead. What does goalie Pavelec do? He is visibly seen on camera fishing the puck out of the net. McCabe (goal scorer and Florida Panther captain) is behind the net with the ref. He is literally pointing at the puck which is inside the net... and says "that's a goal, you need to review that".

The refs? They turn their head again. No review on the goal. The Panthers? They lose by 1 goal.

I'm almost certain that the NHL is trying to cover this play up to protect the image of the refs. All video angles on the play end just after the whistle, they do not show the goal-line camera, and they have so far not released any video of Billy Lindsay's commentary just following the mess-up. Furthermore, they went so far as to put the play as 'top 10' for the night on saves.

Sickens me.
YouTube - 24/7 Ep. 2 -- Referees

The Canucks come out to that song too. :up:

It's been so much fun to watch the Canucks this season, especially in the last month and a half. I always say "this is going to be our year," but this year it actually feels like it just might be possible. Bring on the playoffs! :D

Yeah, it's been quite the run for the Canucks. Glad the Wild have missed playing them for the streak.

Maybe you didn't read into the situation at all... the issue isn't about whether or not video evidence was substantial or not...

it was the fact that it's the second time this season where the referees have flat out ignored the Panthers request to review a highly desputable call which determined a game winning goal late in the 3rd period.

And then in the following days they publically apologize for not taking the correct course of action.

(and btw, in both cases there was substantial video evidence to support an overturn in a call)

I loved the comeback win for the Canadiens last night!:hyper: Thora, the Canucks have been doing well. My daughter said there are some guys dressed all in green (fans) who have tickets by the penalty box and they taunt the opposing team.:lol: Too funny! That first save by Detroit last night on a shot by one of the Sedin twins was awesome! I loved how he(whatever brother it was) smiled instead of losing his cool! Great sportsmanship!

I loved the comeback win for the Canadiens last night!:hyper: Thora, the Canucks have been doing well. My daughter said there are some guys dressed all in green (fans) who have tickets by the penalty box and they taunt the opposing team.:lol: Too funny! That first save by Detroit last night on a shot by one of the Sedin twins was awesome! I loved how he(whatever brother it was) smiled instead of losing his cool! Great sportsmanship!

Yeah, they've done that for a few years now, I think. I rarely notice them any more. :lol:

The Sedins are awesome. That was an INCREDIBLE save by Howard on Daniel's shot. :up: I don't think they worry too much about goals going in when the goalie makes a fantastic save like he did last night - they've never been too bothered by stuff like that, as far as I can tell.

Shootouts frustrate me. They're exciting to watch, but they're the Canucks' weakest area right now. Sucks that it had to come down to that, but they got one point, and that's all that matters. I'm just glad there are no shootouts in the playoffs. :)

Maybe you didn't read into the situation at all... the issue isn't about whether or not video evidence was substantial or not...

it was the fact that it's the second time this season where the referees have flat out ignored the Panthers request to review a highly desputable call which determined a game winning goal late in the 3rd period.

And then in the following days they publically apologize for not taking the correct course of action.

(and btw, in both cases there was substantial video evidence to support an overturn in a call)
I did read the situation. I'm with you 100%. I posted the video simply because it illustrates referees casually shaking off big calls as being good because they're "ballsy." Professional sports referees are usually awful when it comes to things like replay because that means they have to admit they're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom