National Hockey League 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem.

Actually, a few years ago Nashville was so far in jeapordy and was up for sale. Almost got bought out and shipped to Hamilton, Ontario.

Gary Bettman is really against relocation though. Big supporter of small market teams.

From what I've gathered, those US small market teams are still a larger market than Hamilton or even Winnipeg. I think that's why there's only 6 teams left in Canada.

Which, again, I noted. They're not there... but they're in that direction if they dont shape up. Atlanta isn't in jeapordy of being moved anytime soon, but if their decrease in attendance continues to trend downward it could be a severe longterm issue (as with any team, not Atlanta specifically).

Which, again, I noted. They're not there... but they're in that direction if they dont shape up. Atlanta isn't in jeapordy of being moved anytime soon, but if their decrease in attendance continues to trend downward it could be a severe longterm issue (as with any team, not Atlanta specifically).

Agreed. :up:

What I am trying to say is, the business of sports cannot be judged on what you see in an arena on any given night. "Gate" is only a percentage of revenue. It seems as if you are only judging on what you see in the stands. That is over simplifying it (and showing very little understanding of the business).

From what I've gathered, those US small market teams are still a larger market than Hamilton or even Winnipeg. I think that's why there's only 6 teams left in Canada.

Certainly, and someone like Hamilton would have a tough time taking fans away from Toronto and the Maple Leafs. Even if they did, it'd still be a 'small market' team. Probably just with a more cultish following as opposed to teams like the Panthers, where you've got tons of 'casual' fans, if you will (you still have that diehard fanbase, just smaller).

What I am trying to say is, the business of sports cannot be judged on what you see in an arena on any given night. "Gate" is only a percentage of revenue. It seems as if you are only judging on what you see in the stands. That is over simplifying it (and showing very little understanding of the business).

Trust me, I know what you're saying.

Nobody is going to want to buy ad space in an arena that doesn't touch 50% capacity for the prices they're currently running at.

Again, welcome to South Florida and The Billboard (a.k.a. The BankAtlantic Center). There are advertisements in the urinals. The upper decks are tarped off. Brought to you by Party City. The Powerplay has two sponsors. The Penalty Kill has two sponsors.

These ads are how a team like Florida, who puts less than average attendance, is able to survive. If that's what you're getting at with Atlanta, you need to understand what I'm saying. Attendance cant get any lower. Team sponsors will disappear.

Didn't mean to overlook you, Zoney. You're absolutely right about the role corporate sponsors play.

Now excuse me while I go cry pitifully as my team is going to set the NHL record for most seasons without a playoff appearance.

They just opened the game vs. Carolina 3 unanswered goals in the first 10 minutes of the game.

With 5 minutes left in the game they gave up their 4th goal, losing 4-3.

These ads are how a team like Florida, who puts less than average attendance, is able to survive. If that's what you're getting at with Atlanta, you need to understand what I'm saying. Attendance cant get any lower. Team sponsors will disappear.

Are you looking at actual stats? Have you ever purchased or sold in-arena advertising? Let me know.

Are you looking at actual stats? Have you ever purchased or sold in-arena advertising? Let me know.

I cant tell if you're being sarcastic at this point or not. It's not something you'd need evidence for. It's economics. Supply and demand. And it doesn't apply to just in-arena advertising. The same applies to TV commercial ad space.

Superbowl ad space is the most expensive ad space, year in and year out. Because it gets the most views. Attendance is the equivalent to views. Ad space on TV becomes cheaper on channels where there are less viewers, or during hours where there are less viewers (which is why you always see paid programming instead of real TV at 4 a.m., airing those generates more profit for the channel than doing a show with commercial breaks).

Notwithstanding what Zoney is saying, teams in the aforementioned markets (and Quebec City) would be playing to sold out arenas each and every night. I think that much is clear.

With the absence of a huge television deal, the NHL remains a gate driven league. And with salaries tied to revenue under the current CBA, why wouldn't players want teams in Canadian markets where more revenue is generated (and this includes things like licensed merchandise)?

The lack of teams in those markets (especially Winnipeg) has a lot to do with corporate support, or lack thereof. Not sure if there's enough of it to fill luxury boxes, for example. Moreover, there's a noticeable lack of government support in terms of building arenas and stadiums in Canada, especially compared to the United States. The four new hockey arenas in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, and Vancouver were all built with private funds, and it's the absence of private sector help in terms of building a new arena that drove teams from Winnipeg and Quebec out in the first place.

That seems to be changing now, at least with a future Quebec franchise. The provincial government has pledged $175 million towards construction of a $400 million arena that would also be the centrepiece of a 2022 Winter Olympics bid. These funds are contingent on federal funds but as of now, the Conservative federal government is sitting on the fence.

I'm not sure I support government money to build arenas, particularly when there are more pressing needs like health care to attend to. But I do support relocation to Canadian markets, especially Quebec City, because I see it as a no-brainer.

And, just so you all know, I'm not simply an advocate of relocation to Canada. I think there are other American markets that would make infinitely more sense than places like Nashville and Atlanta. I'm thinking places like Seattle, Portland, Milwaukee, and, yes, Hartford. I would wholeheartedly support that because I think it would be great for the sport.

One more thing: I think it's sad what's happening on Long Island, and would be upset if the Islanders would ever move. That, I feel, would be a bad thing for hockey. The sport needs a strong franchise in Nassau County.

Islanders will move to Brooklyn with the Nets. The arena is being built above LIRR tracks.

Corporate support is a big factor for suites and sponsorship...Thrashers aren't going anywhere.

With that being said...here is a pretty desperate attempt to fill seats:

watch

I would love to see hockey return to some of the Canadian cities as well as expand to the Northwest (Seattle/Portland). I just see corporate sponsorship being a big issue in the Canadian cities.

A nice win for the Flyers tonight.

haha nice one. The Panthers organization (at least previous to the change in ownership in the middle of last season) was a pure business. Never anything fun like that.

Around here though, we hate our president Michael Yormark. MrPryck2U, you might know of his twin brother, Brett Yormark. Same position, except for the New Jersey Nets. Total d-bag for one, but he is in charge of all non-hockey operations for the Panthers. Treats everybody like a pure business. I mean, at least he does a great job keeping the Panthers stable in Florida, but it's so insulting when you see Florida Panther logos with advertisements that you pee on in the bathroom.

A big one came at the end of last season, at the last game. The Panthers had just annaounced their new partnership with Party City. So at the end of the game (a loss, and a record tying 9th season without a playoff appearance) they exploded confetti all over the arena. It pissed off the players and infuriated the fans.

I guess you cannot post a video and then put any additional text under it. I think I broke another thread. Someone will clean up my mess.

I am VERY familiar with Brett Yormark myself. He has a pretty good organization (the people that work for him) in NJ. The funny thing is they are not very fond of him.

Sometimes those in-arena (urinal) ads are the property of (and sold by) the arena, depending on the contract with the team.

Watching the Panthers/Canes game waiting for a work situation to clear. Three goals in the first eight minutes is pretty impressive. Did they just lose the momentum?

Yeah well I dunno about B. Yormark but our Yormark is a d-bag. I'd imagine if they're twins, they're similar. The arena is property of SSE (Sunrise Sports Entertainment), which owns the Florida Panthers.

Not to discredit my Panthers... they came out moving quickly but all 3 goals were awful goals.

Furthermore the Canes looked really, really bad. We just picked on them. They took stupid penalties. The Panthers just did what they're supposed to do - capitalize on opportunities.

The cats got lazy, I guess because they figured it was game over? It should've been a blowout. They fell asleep. But yeah, dont be impressed with the Panthers, it was the Canes fault.

Overall though this season, minus Florida's PP, they've been rather impressive for what they're working with. The PP is the only thing that's holding the Panthers from playing at pace of a playoff team. They win faceoffs, control the puck, pour shots on goal, generate opportunities, and generate penalties. They just cant for the life of them score on the PP.

I'm all for some relocation. There are clearly US markets that can't handle hockey, and I think almost everyone can agree that most Canadian markets would support hockey well. Phoenix and Nashville moving to Canada would be a good thing if you ask me.

I'm all for some relocation. There are clearly US markets that can't handle hockey, and I think almost everyone can agree that most Canadian markets would support hockey well. Phoenix and Nashville moving to Canada would be a good thing if you ask me.

Is there any sort of realignment that would need to happen if teams moved to Canada? I'm not totally up on my NHL Divisions.

Is there any sort of realignment that would need to happen if teams moved to Canada? I'm not totally up on my NHL Divisions.

If a team like Atlanta moved to Winnipeg, then that would force some realignment with the most obvious being moving Detroit from the Western Conference to the East. Although that would make too much sense.

If a team like Atlanta moved to Winnipeg, then that would force some realignment with the most obvious being moving Detroit from the Western Conference to the East. Although that would make too much sense.

-While that does make sense, it's understandable that the West wouldn't want to part with an elite team like Detroit.

-Not familiar with the Yormarks. The Nets have my apathy. :wink:

-When the Isles' lease runs out at the Coliseum, Queens and Brooklyn could definitely be options. I think, more than likely, they'll refurbish the Coliseum and stay there.

The Columbus Blue Jackets would easily be the first over to the East. They're, I believe, on a latitude further east than Atlanta is. Which is a joke. Nashville, Chicago, and Detroit, all in the same division, are all close to being considered eastern teams (and they should all be, obv. just too many teams).

Plus moving Detroit over would throw off the concentration of talent from East to West. Of course, that would be if we're talking right now.

For the 2nd time in 22 games, the Islanders win. :applaud:

I watched a little of the Wild game last night. It was Dino Ciccarelli appreciation night, and I was reminded of what a superstar he was, and how the North Stars got to the 1981 Stanley Cup Finals only to be defeated by...

The New York Islanders

Ah, the good old days.

besides, hockey is a canadian sport

i dont see the point of having so many junk franchises, especially in states where winter is a rumoured concept

Correction: Much like football (soccer) was invented in England, hockey is now no more a Canadian sport than soccer is an English sport. Canadians still make up the bulk of the athletes, but the game now truly has a distinct international flavour.

In certain markets where "winter is a rumoured concept", the game has taken hold and grown roots. Not every Sun Belt franchise is a failure. For example, the Anaheim Ducks drafted the first ever California-developed prospect in the first round this year, and that never would have happened had those franchises not been there. I suspect as the years roll on, we'll be seeing more and more players from these areas being drafted, thus leading to (possibly) increased popularity.

Florida just had their first prospect drafted (Dallas Eakins doesn't count), Andrew Yogan from Boca Raton, FL, was drafted in the 5th round I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom