National Hockey League 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, ties suck. And the loser point kind of sucks too. And so does the shootout.

I think I'd like to see them go to a 10 minute OT to at least minimize the shootout factor. I get that they can't have 4OT regular season marathons, but a longer OT period seems like a decent compromise.

I think the loser point is an okay compromise. A case could be made for a 10 minute OT (I assume 4 on 4 still). The travel/time demands are so great though, whatever can be done to end a game in a reasonable amount of time with a satisfying end gets my vote, so I'm happy with the current system.

Yeah...

Hockey is a very grueling sport and takes a toll on a players body. 10 minute OTs would be great for fans but ridiculous for the players. Unfair, would never pass through the NHL or the NHLPA.

Well the Sabres look to have their future secured with a new owner with seemingly unlimited cash and a love of hockey, which is a good thing.

The Coyotes and Thrashers are drawing, what, less than 10k a game each? The Coyotes situation has been worsening in recent weeks, and the Thrashers owners are looking to sell or relocate, so anything can happen.

That said, Winnipeg will probably get first shot at an NHL franchise relocation since the arena is already there.

I'd love to see Quebec get a team back, though. The city has a homogeneous, sleepy government town vibe (like Ottawa with more sacres) and it could use a kick in the pants from a new arena for a new Nordiques.

I'm a Montrealer at heart but a little in-province competition would be nice to get this city running at a higher clip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as the shootout, I prefer it over the tie, but the boobie prize point for making it to overtime sucks.

Comparisons to European football should not be used, because even I, who love the Beautiful Game, think deciding series on aggregate goals is fucking stupid. Comparisons to MLB are also unfair, because baseball is close enough to being an individual sport and they're not rolling lines every minute or two for 60 minutes of play.

At the end of the day, you want to give the fans attending a regular-season game a product that will entertain them, not destroy the players with 4 OTs of extra time, and send everyone home on a weeknight early enough for work the next morning.

The shootout isn't a great solution, but it's better than nothing. If anything get rid of the pity point for losing in OT/SO.

GO BRUINS

THIS LOOKS LIKE THE YEAR
OH GOD IF YOU'RE OUT THERE .....
please atleast eastern conference finals please
notanother nightmare in the playoffs ......

:hyper::hyper:

Well the Sabres look to have their future secured with a new owner with seemingly unlimited cash and a love of hockey, which is a good thing.

The Coyotes and Thrashers are drawing, what, less than 10k a game each? The Coyotes situation has been worsening in recent weeks, and the Thrashers owners are looking to sell or relocate, so anything can happen.

That said, Winnipeg will probably get first shot at an NHL franchise relocation since the arena is already there.

I'd love to see Quebec get a team back, though. The city has a homogeneous, sleepy government town vibe (like Ottawa with more sacres) and it could use a kick in the pants from a new arena for a new Nordiques.

I'm a Montrealer at heart but a little in-province competition would be nice to get this city running at a higher clip.

I'm with you, I'd love to see the Nordiques return. I know my own Whalers are never coming back, but it would be nice to see Quebec and Winnipeg get their teams back...and IMO Habs/Nordiques is as good a rivalry as their is in sports. Obviously a team like Montreal, with their history of success, is going to have several "rivals" (Boston, Toronto), but I've always gotten the sense those rivalries mean more to Bruins and Leafs fans; the Montreal/Quebec thing seemed to be a lot more mutual.

I'm with you, I'd love to see the Nordiques return. I know my own Whalers are never coming back, but it would be nice to see Quebec and Winnipeg get their teams back...and IMO Habs/Nordiques is as good a rivalry as their is in sports. Obviously a team like Montreal, with their history of success, is going to have several "rivals" (Boston, Toronto), but I've always gotten the sense those rivalries mean more to Bruins and Leafs fans; the Montreal/Quebec thing seemed to be a lot more mutual.

Back in the days when Quebec was playing in the NHL the announcements made on the PA Announcer was in French

Eric Lindros refused to play in Quebec because he wanted nothing to do with French Canadiens

etc

The Original NHL used to be a very Canadian thing (French Canada and all), but when the states took over (some time in the late 90s); they tried to give it a McDonalds franchises in cities kind of appeal.

It could only last so long before everyone wants to vomit from Franchise food

Back in the days when Quebec was playing in the NHL the announcements made on the PA Announcer was in French

Eric Lindros refused to play in Quebec because he wanted nothing to do with French Canadiens

etc

The Original NHL used to be a very Canadian thing (French Canada and all), but when the states took over (some time in the late 90s); they tried to give it a McDonalds franchises in cities kind of appeal.

It could only last so long before everyone wants to vomit from Franchise food

I have no idea what this means.

Afternoon games aren't always great for the Canucks, but it was a good one today. Seemed like the majority of people in the Kings' arena were Canucks fans, which is awesome. :D

Let's face it, organized ice hockey has a very high $$$ barrier to entry if a kid wants to play anything more than a pickup game of shinny.

I'm really not surprised the NHL has failed to make a dent in a large, urban market like Atlanta where a young inner city kid can go to the park and play basketball or football or baseball for next to nothing.

I wonder if there's ever been any decent sociological studies into youth hockey, the money it takes to compete at the organized level, and whether demographics like race figure into it a lot.

Ice time ain't cheap.

It's neat watching Roloson play, he used to play for the farm team of the Calgary Flames, which was in our city. I met him, shook his hand, got his autograph and a stick. It's very rewarding to watch all these players I watched in the AHL and QMJHL move on up and kick ass. I want the Habs to win, but still.. it's a neat feeling.

Hey, the Lightning are basically Montreal Canadiens South, or at least they have all the francophone superstars and coach we want :D

Oh I'm just more commenting on the fact that 4 out of every 5 fans are Canadiens fans in a Canadiens @ Panthers game. And it sells out.

just don't give Boston another lottery pick...

The Panthers will happily have the Maple Leafs #1 pick from Boston. We'll give you David Booth.

No but in all seriousness. $$-wise the Panthers cant afford to give anyone David Booth. Or Stephen Weiss. Or Rostislav Olesz :lol:.

We're $30 million from the cap floor with most of our $16 million tied up between Booth, Weiss, and Olesz (and among others small guys like Jason Garrison and Mike Weaver, etc.).

Dale Tallon's got some spending to do. But that's okay, he never had a problem with that. I think he should acquire fat expiring cap hits like Gomez from NY (and have NY send a 1st or 2nd round pick as well) in exchange. Then go for the buyout... reach the cap floor. Suck it up again this season, and really push hard in next year's FA market once some of the prospects from last year's draft (7 picks in first 2 rounds) are NHL ready. Make us a real playoff contender.

As much as I hate to admit it, Gomez has been playing in Montreal the last two seasons.

And if you want him, you can have him, but there's no way Montreal is giving up a first or even a second round pick just to get rid of him.

Throw the book at Chara. :angry:

that was an accident , with no involvement from the Big Z

it's a hockey game , not ballet

and some more

for the way canadiens play this beautiful game ::::

64.1 Diving / Embellishment – Any player who blatantly dives, embellishes a fall or a reaction, or who feigns an injury shall be penalized with a minor penalty under this rule.

A goalkeeper who deliberately initiates contact with an attacking player other than to establish position in the crease, or who otherwise acts to create the appearance of other than incidental contact with an attacking player, is subject to the assessment of a minor penalty for diving / embellishment.

There was no malicious intent with that hit or anything. Just a simple check and Pacioretty unfortunately went into that support beam.

Was scary watching it though. Hope he's ok.

Not from where I'm standing. Maybe not malicious per se, but he definitely drove him into the boards when the puck was nowhere near them. At best that's an interference call anywhere else on the ice, but the point is Chara shouldn't even have been doing that.

that was an accident , with no involvement from the Big Z

it's a hockey game , not ballet

and some more

for the way canadiens play this beautiful game ::::

64.1 Diving / Embellishment – Any player who blatantly dives, embellishes a fall or a reaction, or who feigns an injury shall be penalized with a minor penalty under this rule.

A goalkeeper who deliberately initiates contact with an attacking player other than to establish position in the crease, or who otherwise acts to create the appearance of other than incidental contact with an attacking player, is subject to the assessment of a minor penalty for diving / embellishment.

I'm unclear as to why you decided to post Rule 64.1. Are you saying that Pacioretty embellished the injury?

http://twitpic.com/47shfg/full
full
full
full
full

Not from where I'm standing. Maybe not malicious per se, but he definitely drove him into the boards when the puck was nowhere near them. At best that's an interference call anywhere else on the ice, but the point is Chara shouldn't even have been doing that.

I agree he was driving him into the boards, but you do that anywhere else and it's a simple check that might at times warrant a basic interference call, and sometimes nothing at all. He obviously had no intent of driving him into that beam and seriously hurting him. Just an unfortunate result.

I'm unclear as to why you decided to post Rule 64.1. Are you saying that Pacioretty embellished the injury?

no , and i wish him quick recovery
and the whole story makes me sad , give chara 2 games max , it was a bad hit after all
but he DID dive 2 or 3 times during the game before the injury , it's just the way canadiens play
and who was that player runing away from lucic , hiding behind refs ,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom