National Hockey League 2010-2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping Minnesota can swing a deal for a center now that Koivu is out 3+ weeks. The playoff chase in the West is a real dogfight.

The lead-up to the trading deadline is much more active than I anticipated. I reasoned that since so many teams are so closely bunched together, most would hesitate to be sellers. That has not been the case and, curiously, almost every single one of the 20+ trades this month have involved a defenceman.

The Penguins just acquired James Neal from Dallas in a trade that also featured two defencemen switching teams.

Panthers Likely to be Traded (and what I'd take):

Marty Reasoner (2nd)
Cory Stillman (2nd)
Chris Higgins (2nd)
Steve Bernier (3rd)
Radek Dvorak (2nd)
Tomas Vokoun (mid 1st+prospect)
Mike Weaver (2nd)
Bryan McCabe (late 1st/prospect)
Rostislav Olesz (please)(we'll give you a 2nd)
David Booth (mid/late 1st + top prospect)

Now obviously we wouldnt trade all of them (although that would be awesome). But... judging half of them are traded between the deadline and the draft...

Also... Frolik for Skille. All I can say is... Tallon might know how to build a team but he's doing an awful job of asset management at the moment. Hopefully Jack Skille can live up to something (please?).

One of my favorite days of the season tomorrow... Trade Deadline!

Looks like it'll be weak though. High asking price on defenders this time round, low asking price on forwards.

Brad Boyes got dealt to Buffalo for a 2nd, pretty cheap if you ask me.

From my team's perspective, I hope the whole lot is gutted. Can't wait, don't let us down Tallon.

Also, way over-estimated on some players that I didn't consider a ton of things.

McCabe drew a 3rd... completely overlooked his NMC and the fact that he's a pending UFA. Also, Bernier can't even be claimed on waivers much less get a return.

Stillman went for real cheap... forwards just aren't valued right now I guess. My guess is you'll see Vokoun, Reasoner, and maybe one of Higgins or Dvorak gone by tomorrow.

Ugh I don't know what to think of it. I mean, value-wise it's a win for the Panthers... but it's a backwards move for a team trying to rebuild. Bergfors is a typical Panther loser. If we didn't want Grabner I don't know why we'd want Bergfors, who is a poor man's Grabner.

And the 5th round pick, that was completely unnecessary.

My theory on this trade though is that by adding 2 players to the Panthers roster, we now have the ability to deal out players like Mike Weaver, Chris Higgins, and Marty Reasoner while keeping the minimum roster size (we have a ton of injuries at the moment).

Lol you're beatin me here... glad Tallon is gutting the team but when a firesale like this occurs you gotta expect less than value for each player. I figured they wouldn't trade Wideman because he wouldn't have much trade value considering how piss poor his defense is. guess not.

I'm real happy with a 3rd round pick and the fact that I don't have to watch that next season.

Might as well call this one the "Florida Panthers Trade Deadline"...

After the Dvorak and Wideman trades,

To Carolina:

Bryan Allen

To Florida:

Sergei Samsonov

very, very, VERY pleased here. At first sight you say "what the fu...?" but then take into consideration Allen apparently had an unpublicized NTC. You see my list of players up there as players I thought were getting shipped away... the fact that Allen and Wideman have been dealt is awesome because they're both atrocious. I never thought we'd get rid of Allen.

Samsonov is a pending UFA, so essentially we took Samsonov from Carolina (who is awful) in return for them taking Allen's contract.

----------------

Hilarious tidbit on all of this. If anyone remembers the Eddie the Eagle diving incident versus Carolina, it was Bryan Allen who ghost-tripped Eric Staal. So, essentially Bryan Allen has been screwed twice in his career. Nick Tarnasky, who at the time was with Tampa, took a cheapshot at Allen sucker punching him while the refs held Allen back KOing him. Panthers response? Traded for Tarnasky in 6 months :lol:

Dustin Penner to LA pretty much blocked Booth going to LA.

Higgins barely snuck in, for a 3rd round pick. I laugh at the Canucks on that one... Higgins is out for 3 weeks and is a pending UFA and we got more for Higgins than we did for McCabe.

True firesale, the only piece missing in the sale was Mr. Vokoun himself. Panthers have 40 million in cap space going into the offseason .

Islander fan here.

I'm VERY surprised that Snow didn't give up Konopka/Martinek for a 2nd. Maybe the team actually cares about the lack of defensive depth in the case of Martinek and Konopka's leadership?

Sure, a 2nd can turn into another Hamonic in three years, but take a look at the Ness' and Trivinos of the world and established vertans suddenly look a whole lot better IMO.

Well, other than Edmonton this season who got a massive deal for Dustin Penner(who mind you has a big contract), it looks like it was a tough year for sellers.

Snow probably held onto em for the same reason Tallon held onto Vokoun/Booth/Weiss. They're pieces you can't get rid of for too cheap.

Islander fan here.

I'm VERY surprised that Snow didn't give up Konopka/Martinek for a 2nd. Maybe the team actually cares about the lack of defensive depth in the case of Martinek and Konopka's leadership?

Sure, a 2nd can turn into another Hamonic in three years, but take a look at the Ness' and Trivinos of the world and established vertans suddenly look a whole lot better IMO.

I'm an Islander fan too. They look to be going in the right direction, but they're far from playoff caliber. Hopefully next year they'll improve.

Now if only they could get that Lighthouse project off the ground, the Islanders might actually be going places.

Yeah, if only. Doesn't look like it's gonna happen, but one can hope. In 4 or 5 years the Islanders could become the Quebec Nordiques Version 2.0 or the Winnipeg Jets Version 2.0. :sad:

Funny because I've been hearing that a ton recently...

Do you remember how much ties sucked? I mean, shootouts are pretty lame but ties were even lamer.

Do you remember how much ties sucked? I mean, shootouts are pretty lame but ties were even lamer.

The difference is it is so much more difficult to score in hockey, whereas if its basketball its totally fine if you have overtime or resolve your differences by a foul shooting contest :angry:

Imagine if every game of the English Premier League football was resolved by a penalty shootout if the score was equal after 90 minutes?

Yeah well there's two polar opposites:

Do you want both teams to get a tie even though one team clearly deserved the win?

or

Do you want someone to get a win despite the fact that they could have been the lesser team?

In the end, ties were happening way, way too much in modern day hockey. It makes the game to the average fan boring.

I agree. There is very little satisfying about a tie. But, making the goalies defend the most difficult play after 65 minutes of regular and OT isn't great either, but I'll take it.

Yes, ties suck. And the loser point kind of sucks too. And so does the shootout.

I think I'd like to see them go to a 10 minute OT to at least minimize the shootout factor. I get that they can't have 4OT regular season marathons, but a longer OT period seems like a decent compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom