National Hockey League 2009 - 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's fine, and I respect your opinion.

However, here are my reasons

a) if I lived in Toronto I wouldn't feel any different. Where I live has no bearing on the teams I "hate"
b) I hate Elfa
c) I would never date a Leafs fan (I'm not even kidding)
d) It's not a question of feeling threatened. It's just the way Montrealers view the Leafs, and vice-versa.

In terms of their biggest rivals, I would say that Toronto is, with Boston a close second. You only have to go to a Toronto game in Montreal to really understand why that is.

lol, I actaully hate Ottawa more than Montreal.... so yeah, I don't even consider you guys are most hated rivals or anything...

I know! Most Leaf fans I know don't really despise the Habs, and if they do, certainly not on the same level that they despise the Sens. They seem to actually respect the Habs around here, that's the vibe I always got :shrug:
My ex-bf was a hardcore Leafs fan but always supported the Habs when they weren't playing Toronto.

Where I live does impact how I feel about the local team - I lived in Ottawa for 8 yrs and considered the Sens my 2nd favourite team for the longest time.

You wouldn't date a Leafs fan?? Are you serious?
Does Kaffy know this? :wink:

I actually used to hate the Leafs when Tucker and Domi played for them but Sundin was one of my favourite players which also has something to do with my kind-of-liking the Leafs.

Where I live does impact how I feel about the local team - I lived in Ottawa for 8 yrs and considered the Sens my 2nd favourite team for the longest time.

I don't see how people can have a second favourite team - in any sport. To me it's like saying you love two people at the same time. You can respect another team, even like them or certain players on said team, but not have a "second favourite" team.

It's just my opinion. Just because I live in northern Alberta doesn't mean my feelings towards the Oilers will soften.

You wouldn't date a Leafs fan?? Are you serious?
Does Kaffy know this? :wink:

I am serious, and I'm sure Kaffy would be relieved to know this. :wink:

I don't see how people can have a second favourite team - in any sport. To me it's like saying you love two people at the same time. You can respect another team, even like them or certain players on said team, but not have a "second favourite" team.

You always go on ad nauseum about respecting people's musical opinions, perhaps the same should go for people's taste in hockey teams, too?

And what is the difference between 'liking' another team and having a second favourite team?

I always love the Habs and I usually like another team - for the longest time it was Pittsburgh when Mario played there then it was the Sens when I moved to Ottawa and now the only other team I like (by default - my 2nd favourite team) are the Leafs.

You always go on ad nauseum about respecting people's musical opinions, perhaps the same should go for people's taste in hockey teams, too?

And what is the difference between 'liking' another team and having a second favourite team?

I always love the Habs and I usually like another team - for the longest time it was Pittsburgh when Mario played there then it was the Sens when I moved to Ottawa and now the only other team I like (by default - my 2nd favourite team) are the Leafs.

I never said I don't respect your taste in hockey teams, because I do. :hug:

For me, calling it your "second favourite" team connotes something a bit more than simply liking a team.

For example, I really like the Washington Capitals because I enjoy their playing style (and Ovechkin is my favourite player), and I'll watch them whenever I can, but I will never go so far as to say they're my second favourite team.

I'm very rigid in my tastes for sports teams. In hockey, I have been a Canadiens fan all of my life, and no matter where I live, or how badly they do, I always will be. In football, I have been a San Francisco 49ers fan for more than 20 years, and even though the the past dozen years have been horrible, I will never deviate from that.

I still watch baseball, but I can't bring myself to actively root for another team ever since the Expos left town (which still breaks my heart :sad: ).

For me, calling it your "second favourite" team connotes something a bit more than simply liking a team.

For example, I really like the Washington Capitals because I enjoy their playing style (and Ovechkin is my favourite player), and I'll watch them whenever I can, but I will never go so far as to say they're my second favourite team.

But again, if I love a team, like another team and am indifferent towards the rest, wouldn't the team I like automatically become my '2nd favourite' team?

But again, if I love a team, like another team and am indifferent towards the rest, wouldn't the team I like automatically become my '2nd favourite' team?

I see your point, and I know it's all semantics, but calling it a "favourite" team is too strong for me.

Anyway, your favourite team is all that matters, and you love the right team. :wink:

The final is July 11, and I'll be in Montreal then. What a party it was in 2006 when Italia won. You guys will be in town a few days after the final, so if Italy does end up winning it, I'll probably still be hungover.

Wow, that entire week will be one big hangover regardless, culminating at New Meadowlands Stadium.:hyper:

Italy winning :lol:
Didn't they squeak by their group?

I was dating the Leafs/Italia fan when Italy won - I was the lone France supporter :)heart: Zizou :heart:) in a sea of Italians on Corsa Italia in Toronto when Italy won :(

Yes, France is my SECOND FAVOURITE TEAM to England! :wink:

That WILL be a great week - can't wait! Glad you're coming to NYC, too! :hyper:

he's better than Toskala, but that's not saying much.

He seems to have potential, he's very quick and focused but he tends to get out of position very easily and he has trouble with rebounds... He also can't handle the puck very well. He's fun to watch though and the team clearly seems more confident in front of him.

I would like to thank the Leafs for beating Detroit Saturday, and not just beating them, really totally out playing them. I would like to think my boys took it as a little wake-up call, and then proceeded to kick the crap out of Columbus tonight.
Got Vancouver up next, hope they didn't score all their goals in one game.

Danny returns with 2 goals, 5 in a row for the O&B.

How the hell is Jersey 13-4? And how in the holy hell are they 9-0 on the road?

Jersey is always a quietly solid team. Never have the superstars, but they're always in the playoffs. Downside is they're boring as hell to watch. For a while they got a little more exciting, but I've watch them this year, and man...they're back to the nothing happens days. Get a goal, protect lead, trap in the nuetral zone, put everyone to sleep...ugh.

Do you get to hear Chico Resh / Doc Emrick ever call Devils games up there? Chico sounds like he's about to explode every time one of the Devils does something. And Doc just sounds like he's gonna have an orgasm every time one of the Devils does something.

Lately I've been thinking that if Brodeur had played on a "normal" team that doesn't bore the crap out of everone (except Chico and Doc, I guess) he would have only been a "very good" goalie. I'm pretty sure I'd be 5th or 6th on the all time win list if I played for the Devils for 20 years. I doubt I'd have that many shuouts though.

Occasionally we will get US feeds for games up here, I'm not sure if I've heard those two before or not...

I won't deny Brodeur's talent - he is an awesome goalie but he's pretty much the key in New Jersey, without him they would basically be another Minnesota...

Interesting. You think the Devils are good because of Brodeur, while I think Brodeur is good because of the Devils. Hmmm... we may have to shoot each other at sunrise to see who's correct. Too bad you can't have guns in Canada. Ohhh, look! AMERICA WINS AGAIN.Shame it has to come to this but...cest la vie, I guess.

Anyway...Isles are 6-6-6 and it's Friday the 13th. Can't wait to see what happens tonight...the other night it took 22 shooters to end a shootout, and after like 6, I really just wanted anyone to score - either team. Bored the shit outta me.

Interesting. You think the Devils are good because of Brodeur, while I think Brodeur is good because of the Devils. Hmmm... we may have to shoot each other at sunrise to see who's correct. Too bad you can't have guns in Canada. Ohhh, look! AMERICA WINS AGAIN.Shame it has to come to this but...cest la vie, I guess.

Anyway...Isles are 6-6-6 and it's Friday the 13th. Can't wait to see what happens tonight...the other night it took 22 shooters to end a shootout, and after like 6, I really just wanted anyone to score - either team. Bored the shit outta me.

what about fisticuffs? Or are you not man enough to face me?

6-6-6 eh? Tell me they are playing The Devils tonight.

With Lemaire back and having lost some talent I think it was a given that they'd go back to their old defensive style. Still, I'm impressed with how well they're doing.

Tough call, that chicken-egg argument re: Marty and the Devils. I hate to straddle the fence but I really think that's what it is. With Jacques, Marty, and the Devils you got an almost "perfect storm" kind of thing...they aren't quite as successful without Brodeur, Marty is top 10 in wins rather than #1 if he plays someplace else. It was really a perfect situation for him, and he took advantage of it. Whether or not Marty is the "best ever" is a nice discussion to have, I put Patrick ahead of him, and probably Hasek as well, though Hasek doesn't have the longevity between being stuck in Czech, then stuck behind Belfour, then a couple of injury-shortened years.

And yes, Doc Emrick is very good. The old ESPN team of Doc and Bill Clement is probably my favorite ever.

Tough call, that chicken-egg argument re: Marty and the Devils. I hate to straddle the fence but I really think that's what it is. With Jacques, Marty, and the Devils you got an almost "perfect storm" kind of thing...they aren't quite as successful without Brodeur, Marty is top 10 in wins rather than #1 if he plays someplace else. It was really a perfect situation for him, and he took advantage of it. Whether or not Marty is the "best ever" is a nice discussion to have, I put Patrick ahead of him, and probably Hasek as well, though Hasek doesn't have the longevity between being stuck in Czech, then stuck behind Belfour, then a couple of injury-shortened years.

Very true. But at the same time, I can't even picture Broduer playing anywhere else. The chicken and the egg is a good analogy, though I don't remember a time when he wasn't there and the Devils were any good. In fact, when I was a kid, the were downright awful all the time.

so yeah, we're playing the Blackhawks tonight and they've decided to throw in Toskala, this will not end well...

So I have a free weekend of the NHL channel, and they showed some of the Leafs game, and, dude...wow. I feel your pain. They're like a spastic crew of Greek beasts trying to kill the puck. They kinda reminded me of the hockey team from Strange Brew, for some reason. This is usually where I'd throw in a deprecating Islanders analogy, but they've looked pretty decent lately. If they would just stop blowing leads they'd be fine.

Back
Top Bottom