MLB Thread 2015- Part 2 (World Series or bust)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just checked baseball reference. The big first time contenders are Ivan Rodriguez, Vladimir Guerrero, and some guy named Manny Ramirez. :wink:. Obviously, with the stigma of PED usage, Manny has got no chance in Hell of being inducted. Ivan Rodriguez should be a no brainer. Vladdy should also be a no brainer.

No surprise. Piazza is going in as a Met. Yes, his best years were as a Dodger. But, when he came to the Mets, he was immediately their marquee player. The Mets were a joke for a number of years and he instantly brought them credibility when he arrived in Queens.

Junior's best years were in Seattle. Their franchise struggled since their inception in '77 and he was their first great player to come along. One could argue that Seattle doesn't keep a team in their city without Junior (and Co.) energizing the Kingdome faithful with his play.

That's gonna kill Tommy Lasorda

He'll already broke the news to Tommy. :wink: They were boneheads for trading him in the first place. 2 years after he came to the Mets, they went to the World Series. Meanwhile, the Dodgers haven't been there since Kirk Gibson was limping around the base pads.

I think Cespedes is realizing that teams, for whatever reason, aren't interested in him. Or at least for the price or years that he's hoping for. There's got to be a reason the guy has been on 4 teams in 4 seasons.

I think Cespedes is realizing that teams, for whatever reason, aren't interested in him. Or at least for the price or years that he's hoping for. There's got to be a reason the guy has been on 4 teams in 4 seasons.

everyone outside of Boston says he's a tremendous teammate. His contract had some very strange language in it that prohibited the team he was on from negotiating after their exclusive period ended, which led to a lot of teams trading him. That's why Detroit got did of him. The Mets were able to negotiate themselves out of that, which if they end up being able to bring him in late on a short deal will look genius. If they still let him sign elsewhere, well, what the hell was the point of the negotiation in the first place?

Dumb move you say? Move a player you say? We have a home for him in Florida. Miami. Whatever we call it.

Good thing there were question marks, not periods. I think you need to read it again, with a little more of a sarcastic tone in mind.

I was tipping my hat to the fact that the Marlins were a perfect destination for bad moves, poor team players, and players that will only be here for a season.

J Upton to the Daltons. Fuck. Not cool. Always liked the guy and now I have to root against him all year. Oh well. Still feel very good about the White Sox upgrades at 3rd and 2nd base. Being able to grab an outfield upgrade would make me feel sweeter. But let's go.

We exist to piss off the Mets.

I sincerely hope this signing doesn't ruin our chances of retaining Harper down the road. It seems like it's actually going to happen.

Last edited:
Cespedes would be nice to have and everything, but I'm not sure that we can afford him and our OF is pretty good as it is. It wouldn't be a relief if he stayed in NY, but there are definitely long-term positives to not taking on a 5 year, $100 million contract.

The idea of stealing him away and making Mets fans' heads explode is undeniably amusing though.

This is not meant to ease the worries of anyone because there is a reality to be recognized here, but just remember that there is no salary cap in baseball so if your owners say they can't afford anyone it is just because they are cheap. Especially in Cespedes' case: he was traded at the deadline so there is no draft pick compensation tied to him. Signing him doesn't lose you a draft pick like it does with most big free agents.

Obviously Headache knows this reality all too well.

I actually don't think the Wilpons are cheap. They've spent millions on bums in the past.

So i take it back. They're not cheap fuckers. They're dirt fucking broke fuckers, and mlb should have taken the team away years ago, as they are taking team profits to pay off personal debts, which is exactly the reason why they made Frank McCourt sell the Dodgers. Only difference is McCourt isn't friends with Selig/Manfred.

This is not meant to ease the worries of anyone because there is a reality to be recognized here, but just remember that there is no salary cap in baseball so if your owners say they can't afford anyone it is just because they are cheap. Especially in Cespedes' case: he was traded at the deadline so there is no draft pick compensation tied to him. Signing him doesn't lose you a draft pick like it does with most big free agents.

Obviously Headache knows this reality all too well.

Your point stands, but it didn't matter that he was traded mid season. He had a clause in his original contract stipulating he couldn't be given a qualifying offer/arbitration offer.

Back
Top Bottom