MLB Thread 2015- Part 2 (World Series or bust)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're totally right! A guy jumping in the air for joy is the same thing as a guy throwing a 95 mph fastball directly at your ribs. That's totally the same. You are definitely not being logically inconsistent because your argument boils down to "I like the threat of hurting people as retaliation and because it's never been challenged all my life I no longer want to try thinking about it." Silly me!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

If a pitcher like Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale or Randy Johnson were pitching today, a batter wouldn't do any of that shit just because of their reputation. Anticipation of retaliation can be more effective than retaliation itself.

Purposefully hurting or threatening to hurt a colleague from your profession because he dared to "provoke" you by showing some emotion sounds incredibly dumb and reactionary to me.

Oh shit, this Mets series matters all of a sudden.

Regardless of what happens, fuck the Braves. Glad we could annihilate them 31-7 over three games.

i-expect-nothing-and-im-still-let-down.jpg

Tigers fire Brad Ausmus. Not a surprise, he was in way over his head. Horrible with the lineup, horrible with the pitchers, and the team's strategies never improved.
They need to go out and get a veteran manager that's won before

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, good luck with finding that kind of replacement. There aren't too many good retreads out there. Willie Randolph is still looking for a job, though. :wink:

In other news, the Phils finally dropped the ax on Ruben Amaro.

Major, major missed opportunity by the Cubs today.

Trailing by one run, with bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the 8th? And you send Rizzo home?

Instead of sweeping the best team in the major leagues and getting three games closer to the division lead, they wind up settling for only a one game improvement.

Considering they're likely to face the Cardinals in the first round, it's extremely unfortunate.

There's nothing about this game today that I liked,

HOWEVER, the reality of the situation is that 6 games or 4 games, it's still a very small amount of time for the Cubs to win the division.

It could still happen, but today seemed like the final nail in that coffin. Whatever, on to the next one. This baserunning stupidity has to stop, though.

The baserunning thing is surely the mark of a young team. Then again, they're also following coaches' signals. So not really sure who's more to blame.

Pirates might win today too, so another bad roll for the Cubs. They've shown they can beat both the Pirates and the Cards on any given day home or away, but would prefer that wild card playoff game to be in Chicago all the same.

Well, I've seen compelling arguments for both. Wrigley fans can be harsh on elimination games, and that might put undue pressure on the young team. But the Pirates are best at home.

The thing that's killing me is that we've pretty much dominated this entire month, and yet somehow we have gained NO ground. Still 6 back of the Cardinals. Still 2 back of the Pirates. It's crazy.

Also, you can't blame bad baserunning on young players when Rizzo was one of the culprits.

Yankees will probably not catch up with Toronto, but damn, this is the most enjoyable Yankees team in a long time. Maybe since 2009.

Last edited:
Good thing you can correctly spell the name of the pitcher who is having arguably the greatest season in franchise history.

Oh, wait...you can't. I hope your season ends in abject misery.

Yankees will probably not catch up with Toronto, but damn, this is the most enjoyable Yankees team in a long time. Maybe since 2009.

I'm guessing the disappointing teams from 2013 and 2014 may have clouded your memory. They had some pretty good teams in 2010, 2011, and 2012. In 2012, they hit 245 Home Runs. Those teams won 95, 97, and 95 games, respectively. This year's team probably won't surpass that win total. With 12 games left, they have to win every game to reach 95. If they do that, then they might win the division.

Good thing you can correctly spell the name of the pitcher who is having arguably the greatest season in franchise history.

Oh, wait...you can't. I hope your season ends in abject misery.

My phone calls him what it pleases. I can only do so much. :shrug:.

Today is one of those wacky days. I woke up a little late today. And my tv is set to the MLB Network when I turn on the cable box. So I turned it on and there were the MLB Network guys talking about Yogi. I didn't have my glasses on and I didn't have my coffee yet, so I didn't immediately process the news of Yogi's death. Then, I finally read the bottom of the screen that said that he passed away at age 90. Then it really started to sink in. Yogi had not been well for a while. Seeing him at Yankee Stadium for Old Timer's Day is usually the highlight of the event. You knew he really wasn't doing well if he wasn't able to make it.

Now, as a lot of you know, baseball is my favorite sport. Has been since I was a little kid. Before I knew anything about baseball, I can remember seeing Yogi featured in the Yoo-Hoo commercials. But, as I grew up, Yogi was definitely one of those personalities who ignited my passion and appreciation for the game. The stories he would tell. I always wished I could go back in a time machine and see him play in person instead of just watching old films of him playing. Yes, there were less teams when he played. And there weren't any playoffs. Just the World Series. But winning 10 World Championships is still an incredible feat. In Yankees lore, there was The Babe, Gehrig, Joltin' Joe and then there was Yogi. Easily up there on the Mount Rushmore of Yankee greats.

Back
Top Bottom