MLB Thread 2015- Part 2 (World Series or bust)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 2015 season is over and it feels like the last 7 months flew by. KC finally broke their drought and won the World Series. After their last championship in '85, they sucked for a long time. In the 90's and 2000's, especially, they had some bowling shoe ugly seasons. I didn't think they'd ever win a WS again.

The Mets performed well above expectations. I figured they'd win the Wild Card spot at best. If their pitching can stay healthy and intact, they could have a future in the postseason. A few tweaks here and there could make them better than the 2015 team.

The Giants, once again, did not win a WS in an odd numbered year.

Miami hired Mattingly as their manager. Maybe he'll stick around for a while.

The Cubs returned to the playoffs, but came up short. Can Wine Glass Joe take them ever further into the postseason?

Before we know it, the Hot Stove will be heating up soon. Should be another exciting offseason.

I'm looking forward to going to the postseason every year only to never win a damn thing.

Well, if there was any glimmer of hope for you, 20 years ago, the Yankees hired a retread manager who also wasn't able to win a championship with 3 different teams. The choice was criticized by many. That hiring turned out pretty well, to say the least.

the royals lost the WS in 14
this year it was their 30th year since their last WS win

The Mets just lost the WS 2015
Next year it will be their 30th since their last WS win in 86

they'll be in the same stat and now psychological position as the Royal were

I think it was a self-serving thing for the blokes playing, honestly. Knowing that they'd be successful because of subcontinental expats. No one in America gave a shit and the prices were exorbitant.

It's also a stupid way of "growing the game". Getting 40 and 50-year-olds that no one knows to roll the arm over. If that was really the aim they'd get talented young players.

The end of the year awards are starting:

AL Manager of the Year- Jeff Banister

NL Manager of the Year- Wine Glass Joe Maddon

AL Rookie of the Year- Carlos Correa

NL Rookie of the Year- Kris Bryant

In other news- David Ortiz has announced that 2016 will be his final season.

In other news- David Ortiz has announced that 2016 will be his final season.

He hasn't announced it yet. Ken Rosenthal has it from a source. Supposedly will do so today, on his 40th birthday.

However, some local media don't believe it till they hear it from Ortiz' mouth and think it may be a ploy to force Red Sox to guarantee his 2017 option now.

All the reports are that he is announcing his retirement, but there's just some local folks who are waiting till it officially happens to believe it.

Well, when he does announce his retirement it will be a big deal. He's the last player from those early 21st Century BoSox teams. The farewell tour will commence. The special Big Papi Day will be marked on the calendar. The Hall of Fame talk/questions will be discussed. Will Papi suffer the same fate as Mike Piazza?

Ortiz will be an interesting case. The list he was on was the 2003 pre-testing list that was supposed to be anonymous. What he tested for was never revealed. He of course claims it must have been an over the counter supplement. Since official testing went into place he's never tested positive for anything, but of course countless others can claim the same. Time may be on his side. It'll be 6 years down the road when he goes on the ballot and the stance of some writers may soften by then.

Considering as Ortiz actually did appear on one of those lists and Piazza never did?

Yes, I would say Piazza has it worse than possibly Ortiz might encounter. People just assume about Piazza. Ortiz was on The List. Plus, his health and production greatly improved after the Twins released him at the conclusion of the 2002 season. I personally don't care if he or anyone else took anything. You still have to go out there and perform well. But, those HOF voters can be cunts.

The Hot Stove is heating up once again. BoSox sign David Price for 7 years/217 million dollars. Naturally, the price was right for him. Especially with an annual average salary of 31 mil. I think he has an opt out after 3 years too.

Back
Top Bottom