MLB Thread 2012 - The Postseason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I spent a lot of time watching the Nationals last year, and that whole team is just really fun to watch. MLBTV rocks.

If they decided to keep him on another pitch count, why not start him in mid to late May so that he'll be available in October?

Yes, I was thinking the same thing last season. Plus, they can pamper him further by having him skip the colder part of the season.

I'm far from an expert on this, and frankly, so is just about everyone else, but, to me, the best way to go about it would have been having him start the season on a slightly stricter pitch count and then find small opportunities here and there to skip starts, could have really given him a longer break around the All-Star game, etc. I have zero problem with them protecting him and themselves with the inning ceiling, but I have such major major issues with concocting a plan that involves a guy missing the post-season. And, yes, you cannot predict if you'll be playing then, I get it, but still. You never, ever know if/when you'll be back, no matter how good your team is. I hope we see him pitching in many Octobers to come.

I would love for the MLB to make a real fucking move here.

If proven guilty, I don't know what strike the guy is on... but make a god damn example of him. I'd love to see him removed from the game of baseball.

I would love for the MLB to make a real fucking move here.

If proven guilty, I don't know what strike the guy is on... but make a god damn example of him. I'd love to see him removed from the game of baseball.

Well, I suppose if the allegations are true, than maybe he'd do the right thing and just retire. He'd be helping the Yankees out hugely if he did that.

There's no way he'll retire. He is owed over $100 million. And there's no way the Yankees will be able to void his contract. The CBA regulates PED-related punishments, not the teams. I doubt Boras allowed a PED clause in his contract, which is the only way they'd be able to void it. He's too smart for it.

The hilarious thing is to see sportswriters basically asking A-Rod/the Yankees to commit insurance fraud by getting doctors to say his injury was career-ending. PEDs are evil, but insurance fraud can surely be disregarded.

That may be true, but the Yankees will still be paying him either for his retirement or to play for another team.

If these allegations are proven true and if he's no longer on the Yankees, I don't see another team acquiring A-Rod. He's really not worth the trouble. The Yankees would hope that they could swing an Albert Belle injury retirement and have an insurance company reimburse them for most of his contract.

Hmm well if there's something I dislike just as much as I dislike A Rod right now it's insurance companies.

Aw, did you not understand how it worked and then get pissed off when you didn't get what you thought you deserved?

It kinda looks that way. Flying with the same excuse twice just doesn't seem likely, to me.

Meh. I don't think anything will become of this for anyone not named Alex Rodriguez.

Meh. I don't think anything will become of this for anyone not named Alex Rodriguez.

I'm quoting this because it seems like the opposite is likely to happen. But, if you are correct, well then we heard it here first at the MLB thread. :wink:

Obviously, Braun is number 2 with a bullet after A-Rod.

It sounds like Braun is playing the same card he played last time. Or at least... the official record shows that.

In other news...

Felix Hernandez just got a 7yr/$175mil contract. Holy regret.

I could go both ways on Braun. Obviously, his name is in the wrong place twice now, but then again, I still haven't seen substancial evidence that shows what he was taking at what time. Plus, he was one of the most tested players in baseball last season, didn't fail one of them, but his numbers actually increased. I don't know, the whole thing just seems weird to me.

I think Lance Armstrong has shown that this doesn't mean anything anymore.

I suppose...it still just seems very weird to me, even dating back to the original case. A lot of people have been close minded about it and just said "he's guilty" without really reading much about some of the complete oddities of the whole case.

Who knows. If I had it my way, everyone would use PED's. That would be a lot of fun.

And now maybe Ken Rosenthal can stop it with the butthurt sniping about the Mariners regretting not trading Felix for Lars Anderson, Daniel Bard, Michael Bowden, and Jed Lowerie.

Anyway, that's market price for a top 3 pitcher in baseball. No regrets for one of the most solidly built guys in baseball at 26 years old.

Back
Top Bottom