MLB Thread 2012 - The Postseason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, ok, that makes sense. If people weren't aware before he bought another team, there would not have been that need.

But the question still stands, had they known, could Selig or someone stopped him from buying another team?

Much as I love baseball, I admit to a lot of ignorance. So, please forgive me for this question if it's completely stupid, but...

...doesn't Selig have a say in who buys a team? If Loria ran the Expos into the ground, why would anyone allow him to buy another?

This is from the link that gump posted a page or two back:

First came his purchase of the Montreal Expos. Loria had spent years trying to buy a major league club, making early inroads through his purchase of the Triple-A Oklahoma City 89ers, then ratcheting up his association with the Lords of the Realm through his failed attempt to buy the Baltimore Orioles in 1994. When he finally bought into the Expos in 1999, it was for a minority share in the franchise. Still, a 24 percent stake in a major league franchise for the modest sum of about $12 million in U.S. dollars was a coup, even for a team as troubled as the Expos were. That was just the beginning. Loria quickly realized that the limited partners who controlled the rest of the franchise had no interest in putting a dime into the team beyond their initial investments. So he triggered a series of cash calls, heard crickets each time, and steadily increased his stake in the Expos. When he couldn't strong-arm the provincial government into building him a new stadium and saw that the team was doomed, Loria sold the Expos back to the league for $120 million. This was a substantial profit just from the effective $50 million valuation at which he'd first bought in. Tack on Loria's much larger stake by the time the sale took place, and he made a small fortune for his two-plus years of investment.

As thanks for the noble sacrifice he'd made in stewarding the dying Expos for a couple of years, Loria was allowed to purchase the Marlins for $158.5 million in 2002. The deal included a $38.5 million no-interest loan from the league, plus an attached discount that kicked in when Loria couldn't secure a new stadium within five years of the purchase. Those league handouts were nice, but there was a lot more money to be squeezed out of Loria's position of power. When government officials initially refused to cave to his demands for a new Marlins ballpark, Loria played the oldest trick in the book, the relocation threat. "San Antonio is a very viable market, and they're very serious," Loria said in April 2006. "Read my lips: They're very serious." It would take three more years of increased threats from Loria and stepson David Samson, plus the usual unwavering support (and more threats) from Bud Selig and his surrogates, before the Miami-Dade County Commission finally agreed to pay for the lion's share of a new stadium. In the end, the Marlins agreed to pay $125 million of the stadium's total $634 million in construction costs, with $35 million coming from another interest-free loan, this time from the county. (There's an ongoing SEC probe that's looking into the stadium's financing. We'll see if anything comes of it.) The same rigged system that put Loria in power and summoned the extortive powers of the commissioner's office to his side had also succeeded in cajoling a sweetheart stadium deal out of feckless elected officials, with yet another baseball club passing costs to taxpayers and reaping a disproportionate share of the profits. In getting a stadium built in South Florida, Loria succeeded where his predecessor John Henry failed. Of course, Henry won control of the Red Sox as part of the same merry-go-round that landed Loria in Miami, despite not submitting the highest bid for the Boston nine. Cartel membership has its privileges. The total cost of the bonds the county will need to pay off over the next 40 years is estimated at $2.4 billion.

But the question still stands, had they known, could Selig or someone stopped him from buying another team?

I would think so as Cuban has been trying to buy a team for awhile now and I believe he's been blocked by the league.

I thought it was the Tribune company that said no to him buying the Cubs, but now that you mention it, I think it may have been the league.

As long as Loria wasn't in control of Selig's baby, the new Washington franchise, he really didn't give a shit. Miami? Selig could not have cared less about that.

At least in the NHL, it's common to block acquisitions and sales of teams.

I imagine that Selig could absolutely do that if he wanted to. If the person does not seem fit as an owner, the league can block the acquisition.

I just wish they could force a sale.

I'm sure Selig is unhappy with the situation. But all the commissioners have proven that they work for the owners and not the greater good of their respective leagues. They don't want to go up against an owner because other owners would get pissed off about it. It's the same reason Stern has never said shit to Sterling, who is by all accounts a terrible human being and a very shady businessman. He's racist and sexist. Yet Stern lets him do whatever the fuck he wants because he is an owner. If he was a player, he'd have been out of the league forever ago.

Well... I think Gary Bettman actually does work in the interest of the league. Or at least... what he thinks is the interest of the league. His overwhelming support for Nashville and Phoenix are good examples.

Wow. They'd better hope he's better than he was in Atlanta for that kinda money.

Apparently they're looking for a front-line starter as well. If they land Greinke, do they become the favorites in the East or is that jumping the gun?

On paper I think so, but we all know how insignificant on paper can be. Half the Marlins that just became Blue Jays made the Marlins competitive on paper and we saw how that turned out.

But the Marlins didn't have a Lawrie or a Morrow or an Arrencibia/d'Arnaud or an Encarnacion. They sorta had a Bautista who doesn't walk as much but probably has more raw power.

But the Marlins didn't have a Lawrie or a Morrow or an Arrencibia/d'Arnaud or an Encarnacion. They sorta had a Bautista who doesn't walk as much but probably has more raw power.

A bit more was expected out of Hanley Ramirez, Logan Morrison, Heath Bell, and the rest of the bullpen though.

But it wasn't the point that the Marlins are now the Blue Jays. You can just as easily make a case in point out of the Dodgers and out of the Red Sox. I would say on paper, yeah, those teams all looked good. We'll see though.

PhilsFan said:
I'm sure Selig is unhappy with the situation. But all the commissioners have proven that they work for the owners and not the greater good of their respective leagues. They don't want to go up against an owner because other owners would get pissed off about it. It's the same reason Stern has never said shit to Sterling, who is by all accounts a terrible human being and a very shady businessman. He's racist and sexist. Yet Stern lets him do whatever the fuck he wants because he is an owner. If he was a player, he'd have been out of the league forever ago.

Probably something to do with the fact that all commissioners do, in actuality, work for the owners. The owners pay their salaries.

Will the Mets resign Wright and Dickey? Trade one? Trade both? If they plan to continue to rebuild, it would make the most sense for them to trade both. But that would include admitting to a rebuild. Each individually would net a couple of any given team's top five prospects....

They're not getting any top prospects for a 38 year old knuckleballer. Wright? Yea, sure. They could.

The fan base will revolt if they trade them. In a year where a lot of focus is going to be paid on them due to the all star game, I don't think they want that.

This is a team in the largest market in America. There's no reason why they can't resign both while still restocking the minors, which they've been supposedly doing for the past few years.

Now that the Marlins don't exist, the Mets can very well move into that worst franchise in the sport category... As long as the Wilpons still run the show.

This is New York. Just once I want a homegrown star to end his career with my team. Just once. That's not too much to ask for a team who with 1/3rd of their own market can still claim a larger fan base than most of baseball.

Fucking Wilpons.

They might get a top prospect from Dayton Moore for Dickey. Dayton Moore would see the Cy Young Award, think "welp, I needs me the pitching!" and send a nice shiny Bubba Starling. I could see that happening.

23-713-weekend-competition-winter-is-coming.jpg

Back
Top Bottom