MLB Thread 2012 - The Postseason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, they know Hanson's medicals better than anyone. Look at his velocity decline over the past few years. Might as well get something while you can. Rotation depth is not exactly a problem for them.

Well, they know Hanson's medicals better than anyone. Look at his velocity decline over the past few years. Might as well get something while you can. Rotation depth is not exactly a problem for them.

True. But even with the velocity decline, I'm surprised they couldn't get better than Walden.

Yeah, I know they're getting something while they can but that still doesn't explain the mediocre return. Hanson is still serviceable in the now tense.

I'm ready for some more big trades or signings. Winter meetings start tomorrow, so it should start soon!

I'm just imagining you whispering that into his ear, the baseball equivalent of sweet nothings, while chainsawing some locust horde....

I like that dude and love his story, but some fool team is really going to overpay him, and pay him for too long. Yanks could be one of them, who the fuck knows.
I'm terrified of the Phillies giving another huge, much-too-long contract to a guy in his 30s. It's almost a yearly ritual at this point.

When I have an office, the dart board will be a photocopy of Ryan Howard's extension. And the urinal cakes in the bathroom will be Cliff Lee's contract.

When I have an office, the dart board will be a photocopy of Ryan Howard's extension. And the urinal cakes in the bathroom will be Cliff Lee's contract.

Why do you have a problem with the Lee contract? He's put up really good numbers for the first two years of his deal. With WAR/$ inflation that's going to happen when all the tv deal money floods the MLB, his contract won't look bad at all if he continues to pitch as he did last year.

Have to agree, the Lee deal was and remains a good one in my opinion. Howard, yeah, disastrous and that's not even hindsight.

Tourist, that made me laugh. Everyone is making me laugh.

Because the Phils didn't need to throw $120 million more at the rotation. They needed to spend money at other positions of much greater need. It was purely a reactionary move in response to heavy criticism of the original trade to send him to Seattle. And it's certainly an interesting argument to make: how would the Phillies have fared against San Francisco in 2010 with Lee in his final year in a rotation with Halladay, Hamels and Oswalt? To make up for it, Amaro threw entirely too much money at Lee to have the temporary satisfaction of fans loving him. It's hamstringing the team just as the Howard deal did. He makes almost $30 million in the last year of the deal (!!!). He and Howard are everything that's wrong with Amaro's tenure. You can only make so many of those big deals if you're going to establish a self-cap (which they did, which is why we had to drudge through the first three months of last season watching a hybrid of the Phillies and the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs).

I'm sure it's going to cost the Phillies the ability to re-sign Chase Utley after this season, which is depressing as hell. He's my favorite player ever. The fact that he's not going to get to finish his career with the Phillies but Howard and Rollins probably will kills me.

Yeah, guess we'll agree to disagree, I don't agree with your perspective or analysis at all.

And Utley aint what he used to be, as you need not be told.

I cannot wait to see if the Yanks pursue AJ or if they go with their internal cats. Or Napoli, I guess but I don't see that happening.

He's certainly not, but neither is Howard or Rollins. The guy who should be aging with the team is Utley, not them. This is almost totally irrational, I know.

Fire Charlie Manuel, too.

Because the Phils didn't need to throw $120 million more at the rotation. They needed to spend money at other positions of much greater need. It was purely a reactionary move in response to heavy criticism of the original trade to send him to Seattle. And it's certainly an interesting argument to make: how would the Phillies have fared against San Francisco in 2010 with Lee in his final year in a rotation with Halladay, Hamels and Oswalt? To make up for it, Amaro threw entirely too much money at Lee to have the temporary satisfaction of fans loving him. It's hamstringing the team just as the Howard deal did. He makes almost $30 million in the last year of the deal (!!!). He and Howard are everything that's wrong with Amaro's tenure. You can only make so many of those big deals if you're going to establish a self-cap (which they did, which is why we had to drudge through the first three months of last season watching a hybrid of the Phillies and the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs).

I'm sure it's going to cost the Phillies the ability to re-sign Chase Utley after this season, which is depressing as hell. He's my favorite player ever. The fact that he's not going to get to finish his career with the Phillies but Howard and Rollins probably will kills me.

I'm sure there are many teams who would gladly take Lee, contract and all, off of the Phillies' hands. Howard, not so much. And about Utley, I'll be surprised if he ends up on another NL team besides the Phillies. He seems like a guy who could benefit from playing DH a couple times a week.

Cliff Lee Contract
2013 (age 34) - $25 million
2014 (age 35) - $25 million
2015 (age 36) - $25 million
2016 (age 37) - $27.5 million with a $12.5 million buyout

The only team willing to take on that contract was the Los Angeles Dodgers (owners of that TV deal), and they won't give up any players in a trade to do it.

Cliff Lee Contract
2013 (age 34) - $25 million
2014 (age 35) - $25 million
2015 (age 36) - $25 million
2016 (age 37) - $27.5 million with a $12.5 million buyout

The only team willing to take on that contract was the Los Angeles Dodgers (owners of that TV deal), and they won't give up any players in a trade to do it.

I think you're completely forgetting that teams are gonna get truckloads of money starting in 2014 thanks to the new tv deal. The 25 million dollar contract won't be as pricey as it used to be.

And by then, the odds say that Cliff Lee will have regressed significantly due to age.

I'd be surprised if he's worth less than 3 WAR, which could very well be market value. Pitchers with his skillset generally tend to age well.

I think these past few years have shown that one or two bad contracts rarely handcuff a team (at least badly as it was portrayed to be). Maybe a very small payroll team like Tampa has to be extra careful, but most teams can get around bad contracts reasonably quickly. That's not to say that one should spend money carelessly, but I think there's been to much of an anti-long contract stance, which is not necessarily a good thing for most teams.

Really though, with Philly, Lee is not the problem. The bad contacts currently belong to Papelbon and Howard and the fact that close to 70 million is being spend on 3 guys in the rotation when any of them could be flipped with some cash eaten for a top prospect from some other team. I wonder how much one year of Halladay at 12-15 million on the open market would fetch? Probably Wil Myers or Alex Gordon the way Dayton Moore works. You know, as long as Halladay is healthy and doesn't have a NTC.

Heck, Howard to some AL team as a DH with 30% of his contact eaten isn't much different than David Ortiz, production-wise. Again, as long as Howard is healthy.

They should just replace his body with a Terminator and just move his mind over. Then he could sign a 50 year extention and be valuable the whole time!

More like Mike Crapoli, am I rite?

The Cubs have hired Jim Deshaies as their new color guy. He's been doing Astros games for a while, and apparently is a very well-liked and entertaining announcer.

I was hoping they would hire bono_212, but it was not meant to be.

Rumor has it Stanton and Nolasco want out. Rumor also has it the Marlins are shopping Escobar and the Rays and A's are in play.

Please, trade all three for prospects.

Nolasco wanting out is not a rumor, I think his agent came out and said something today. At least I thought I read that earlier.

You'd think I'd just go google that or something but no......

HOT STOVE

Right, Nolasco wanting out isn't a rumor.

Only reason Nolasco would be staying though is because the Marlins might try and use him as a bargaining chip to make Stanton stay because they're good friends. Nolasco blows and is overpaid.

Back
Top Bottom