MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Baseball offseason :drool:

Where is that fool Yankee fan NSW? I'd like to get his take on today's trade. He must be in hiding.

I always liked Nick Swisher...now that he's a Yankee I'll probably intensely hate him by June. He seems like that kind of guy.

I hope the Phillies sign Burrell, but don't think it is going to happen.

Baseball offseason :drool:

Where is that fool Yankee fan NSW? I'd like to get his take on today's trade. He must be in hiding.

I assume that after acquiring Swisher, the Yankees plan to let Bobby Abreu and/or Jason Giambi walk and use the money to sign CC Sabathia.

here's to hoping CC doesn't take the money and resigns with the Brewers. what a great baseball story that would be!

here's to hoping CC doesn't take the money and resigns with the Brewers. what a great baseball story that would be!

Surely Sabathia would have to think about it if the Brewers made their offer in bratwurst.

Word is he prefers the NL cause he likes to hit, but also word is he'd like to be out west as he's a Cali native.

But I think the Yanks' offer will blow everyone else away and he'll take the money.

Word is he prefers the NL cause he likes to hit, but also word is he'd like to be out west as he's a Cali native.

But I think the Yanks' offer will blow everyone else away and he'll take the money.

if the angels or a national league team comes close to the yankees offer, CC will go there and talk about how it wasn't just about the money because he took 136 million instead of 140 million and think that the average joe will actually relate to that thought...

if not, he'll take the money. they always do.

Who's your new midget overlord? (seriously).

Incidentally, speedracer, ol' pal :hug:, I meant to respond to a post of yours from several weeks ago (wherein you responded to a post of mine) and correct your assertion that Reggie Willits was the Angels' fourth outfielder during the '07 ALDS. He wasn't. Our third outfielder - one Gary Matthews, Jr., to be precise - was on the DL. Our fourth outfielder was Juan Rivera. And actually, due to injuries to his teammates, Figgins was forced to play the outfield in that series, so Willits was arguably at that time our sixth outfielder.

On another note, who is going to sign Frankie Rodriguez? Highly unlikely it will be the halos.

Welcome back, Johnny boy.

In response to your post:

Who's your new midget overlord? (seriously).

dustin-pedroia.jpg

Incidentally, speedracer, ol' pal :hug:, I meant to respond to a post of yours from several weeks ago (wherein you responded to a post of mine) and correct your assertion that Reggie Willits was the Angels' fourth outfielder during the '07 ALDS. He wasn't. Our third outfielder - one Gary Matthews, Jr., to be precise - was on the DL. Our fourth outfielder was Juan Rivera. And actually, due to injuries to his teammates, Figgins was forced to play the outfield in that series, so Willits was arguably at that time our sixth outfielder.

If you count Figgins as a OF, then you need to insert somebody at 3B to take his place (Izturis or Aybar), and I'd argue that Willits was better than GMJ, Izturis, Aybar and Rivera in 2007. Seriously.

Crisp traded to Royals

Posted by Chad Finn, Globe Staff November 19, 2008 10:23 AM

The Red Sox have traded center fielder Coco Crisp to the Royals for righthanded relief pitcher Ramon Ramirez, a major league baseball source has confirmed to the Globe's Nick Cafardo.

The deal was first reported this morning on Kansas City sports radio station WHB 810 by Brian McRae, a former Royals outfielder who is a part owner of the station. A Red Sox spokesperson told MLB.com the club had no comment on the report.

Ramirez is an interesting acquisition for the Red Sox -- his arrival would suggest that the ball club is at least considering using Justin Masterson as a starter. Reports say the 27-year-old throws in the low 90s, with an outstanding curveball and a changeup that acts like a splitter.

He's coming off a very good 2008 season, having posted a 2.64 ERA in 71.2 innings this year while striking out 70. Ramirez allowed just two home runs, and held righthanders to a .153 average in 137 at-bats. He was particularly effective in September, allowing just one earned run in four hits in 9.2 innings (0.93 ERA).

Ramirez broke into the majors in 2006 with the Colorado Rockies, posting a 3.46 ERA in 67.2 innings over 61 appearances.

Crisp, 29, batted .283 with seven homers, 41 RBIs and 20 stolen bases in 361 at-bats last season, his third in Boston. An excellent fielder, started 98 games in center field while sharing the job with rookie Jacoby Ellsbury. He batted .315 in the second half.

Trading Crisp clears a chunk of payroll for the Red Sox -- he will earn $5.7 million in 2009, with a club option for 2010 for $8 million or a $500,000 buyout.

During an on-air interview with WHB 810 earlier this morning, Royals senior adviser Mike Arbuckle would not confirm that the deal was complete, but said he liked Crisp as a player.

"I would say Coco is a good player and we're always interested in getting good players," said Arbuckle, who recently joined the Royals after working in the front office of the World Champion Philadelphia Phillies.

Bullpen help for the Red Sox. Great trade.

You should have just posted a link that said "Red Sox acquire Ramirez"...that would have raised a few eyebrows. :wink:

Kind of sad to see Coco go, he was very good this season. Never lived up to the hype of what people expected when the Sox traded for him, but performed well this year and was a great defensive outfielder, noodle arm notwithstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom