MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would probably say Pujols.

i would agree.

the thing with texiera is his numbers are pretty much in line with, say, david wright's. wright is younger and a third baseman... i would say it's easier to find first basemen who can put up texiera type numbers... and wright has two gold gloves too (even though he probably didn't deserve them).

if somebody told me that wright was wroth 22 million i'd tell 'em they were bat shit bonkers.

that said... the yanks have the cash, and if texiera can give them what tino martinez gave them in the mid 90's then it'll end up being a great signing for them.

i do also agree with ya that the texiera signing will likely be the best of the three signings... and the red sox, angels and yes, even the nationals are equally to blame for his getting a ridiculous contract because those are the teams that set the price, and the yankees just came in just over them. if they had set a more reasonable price for a player of his caliber... say 14-15 million, then the yankees woulda come in at 16-17, not 22+.

the bitching and moaning from GMs and owners of other teams is nauseating... they're looking at the total number for the entire length of the contracts to exadurate the money that the yanks are spending. simple fact is that, as of now, the yankees have actually significantly CUT salary from last season.

yes, that's right. the yankees have cut salary. so now we need a salary cap? no one was calling for a salary cap when the yankees were spending over 200 million and missing the playoffs... now they actually CUT salary, but spend the money they are spending a little wiser (at least some think so), so now all of a sudden we need a salary cap again.

boo fucking hoo... the brewers could have manned up and resigned C.C. they're not even resigning ben sheets.

spend the money to make your team competitive year after year and people will come to see you play, your jerseys and hats will sell more nationaly, and you'll make the money to cover the increase in salary.

what the padres are doing is simply disgraceful, and the angels are crying poor when they play in friggin LA. they're a major market team, but they're talking as if they're in kansas city. gimmie a break. you just let k-rod go for cheap, let texiera go, and have announced that you won't sign manny. so what are you doing?

i would agree.

the thing with texiera is his numbers are pretty much in line with, say, david wright's. wright is younger and a third baseman... i would say it's easier to find first basemen who can put up texiera type numbers... and wright has two gold gloves too (even though he probably didn't deserve them).

if somebody told me that wright was wroth 22 million i'd tell 'em they were bat shit bonkers.

that said... the yanks have the cash, and if texiera can give them what tino martinez gave them in the mid 90's then it'll end up being a great signing for them.

i do also agree with ya that the texiera signing will likely be the best of the three signings... and the red sox, angels and yes, even the nationals are equally to blame for his getting a ridiculous contract because those are the teams that set the price, and the yankees just came in just over them. if they had set a more reasonable price for a player of his caliber... say 14-15 million, then the yankees woulda come in at 16-17, not 22+.

the bitching and moaning from GMs and owners of other teams is nauseating... they're looking at the total number for the entire length of the contracts to exadurate the money that the yanks are spending. simple fact is that, as of now, the yankees have actually significantly CUT salary from last season.

yes, that's right. the yankees have cut salary. so now we need a salary cap? no one was calling for a salary cap when the yankees were spending over 200 million and missing the playoffs... now they actually CUT salary, but spend the money they are spending a little wiser (at least some think so), so now all of a sudden we need a salary cap again.

boo fucking hoo... the brewers could have manned up and resigned C.C. they're not even resigning ben sheets.

spend the money to make your team competitive year after year and people will come to see you play, your jerseys and hats will sell more nationaly, and you'll make the money to cover the increase in salary.

what the padres are doing is simply disgraceful, and the angels are crying poor when they play in friggin LA. they're a major market team, but they're talking as if they're in kansas city. gimmie a break. you just let k-rod go for cheap, let texiera go, and have announced that you won't sign manny. so what are you doing?

:bow::bow::bow: :beer:

So, the Cubs have traded Jason Marquis to the Rockies for Luis Vizcaino and traded Mark DeRosa to the Indians for 3 pitching prospects. Bruce Levine of ESPN 1000 out of Chicago believes both moves are intended to free up salary space to land Jake Peavy of the Padres.

Chase Utley likely is the one guy I'd say should be on your list that currently isn't. I'd swap him for Chipper due to age.

Utley makes about $12 million a year, for reference. He signed a 7-year, $85 million deal a couple years ago.

Had it not been explained that his injury caused his slight dip this year, I'd probably have said, "Wait one more year to see if Utley's on that list."

Utley makes about $12 million a year, for reference. He signed a 7-year, $85 million deal a couple years ago.

Had it not been explained that his injury caused his slight dip this year, I'd probably have said, "Wait one more year to see if Utley's on that list."

And I'd have told you to fuck off, and added him to my list.

Chase Utley's my favorite baseball player, it should be noted. I have him at the top, but there's bias in that, so I figured I'd look at it objectively.

It's actually quite remarkable how well he did for the last five months with an injury that required surgery.

I will miss DeRosa...

Weren't they just saying a couple of weeks ago that they wouldn't give up DeRosa while in talks for a three-way deal for Peavy? I find it odd that they're now giving him up, while still not being sure they can even land Peavy.

I feel that Milton Bradley is very misunderstood. He's a great character guy who will fit in well with any clubhouse...:hi5:

Here's what I wish. I wish we would trade Soriano and get a guy who would help ease the tension in the dugout rather than sit and pout.
I wish we would have kept DeRosa. He's a well liked guy and he hit .333 in our short playoffs with a home run and 2 doubles. (ahem, Soriano hit .071 just for the record). But he probably had a career year and won't repeat it, so if we got talent in this deal, cool.

I think the Miles signing could be good for the team. He's not a big name, and that's ok. You don't need to sign only big names.

I don't think the Cubs will get Peavy. And I don't think I want them to. Isn't San Diego's field the type that favors the pitchers? I could be wrong. That said, I am not sure about Dempster's big contract either. I like this guy too, but did you see his performance in the playoffs? How much is he getting paid for 7 walks?

Milton Bradley is a talented player, but I really would just like to see the Cubs go with Felix Pie for an extended period of time. He is really good at defense and has great speed. He may even be a leadoff hitter??? That would mean Soriano might have to hit 2 or 3 in the lineup...then he'd cry.

Are you picking up what I'm hinting at here? I despise Soriano and would rather trade him for anyone than have him on our team. He makes me miss Matt Murton.

"Milton Bradley is very misunderstood" killed me. That's something my father would say.

I can completely understand your dislike for Soriano.

However, if they can make the playoffs (which they still can), anything can happen.

You're right, and I think about fans of teams like the Pirates, who would love to get to the playoffs regardless of their results. But my concern every year is who will be that vocal leader for the Cubs The guy who relaxes his teammates. Look at Manny. I know he's crazy and sometimes a headache, but the guy makes his teammates better and has fun playing the game. And it is contagious. Though, I would argue that Torre has a lot to do with that as well. Philly had players like that too. Victorino maybe isn't a vocal leader in the clubhouse, but his play for sure motivates others to follow suit. Chase Utley, Matt Stairs, Ryan Howard(?) all seem like leaders...maybe even some of them goofy.

I don't know who we have like that. D. Lee is a quiet guy. Soriano seems a little self centered, Aramis Ramirez is quiet too. Zambrano is crazy... It seems to me that Soriano or Zambrano should be the guy. The biggest thing to me is that this team can't do what they did in the playoffs and that is pout or get frustrated. I have never seen a team press so much as I did this past year. If Soriano is getting paid millions, he needs to be more than just stats.

but again, at least I have a team that makes it to the playoffs.

You can be quiet and be a leader: for the Phillies, that's Utley. He says little (unless he's wasted, see: World Fuckin' Champions) but plays the game the right way and leads in that way.

I'd say the only "vocal leader" is Jimmy Rollins. There's video of him during Game 5 Part 2 walking back to the clubhouse, where Pat Burrell was taking cuts before his big at bat, where he goes up and says, "I don't want to see this guy up to bat, I want to see Pat Burrell up to bat. I want to see number five up there at the plate." Burrell went up and hit a double off the top of the wall, his first hit of the World Series.

I can tell you when they didn't have a leader: in the early 00s, they had guys like Scott Rolen and Bobby Abreu. Abreu was too quiet and didn't hustle, and Rolen was a crybaby who was too sensitive. That team lacked leadership, and it showed.

It can get better.

Hope springs eternal.

I don't think the Cubs need a whole hell of a lot of changes. Not sure dealing De Rosa is a step in the right direction, regardless of who they're freeing up $$$ to sign or trade for. But what the hell do I know? Cubs will be Central favorites for 2009 regardless.

This is true. DeRosa was nice because he was so versatile. That will be missed. But I guess for infielders, we still have Theriot, Fontenot, and then Ronny Cedeno should get some playing time. The problem is, who is our backup 1st baseman. It will all work out.

And you're right, the Cubs will still be favored in 2009.

Pat Burrell signed with Tampa. Kind of surreal, the idea of him playing somewhere else.

Not particularly. If we'd lost to them it probably would. The only ill feelings I feel towards them are towards Joe Maddon (who proved to be a huge whiner, and I wanted to like him since he's a Philly guy) and Bossman Junior, because I hate laziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom