MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes:

If their pitching staff would've been healthy, Teixeira might've. But I forgot--interference doesn't take injury into account. I wonder how well a team like Boston would do if they lost their #1 for 60% of the season (and he was playing injured for the other 40%), their #2 for 6 weeks for getting spiked at a play at the plate, their #3 (for a few weeks, though playing through back injuries all season), their #5 (who pitched through injuries all season which made his mechanics all fucked up), and their closer (for half the season, playing injured for half the remainder). Oh, and they were 18 and 30 in one-run games. With one extra bat, how many of those 30 would've been added to that 18? With a Teixeira, probably 10-15.... Add those 10-15 to another 10-15 that the 'pen blew (being closerless).... add those 20-30 to the 10-15 lost due to injured staring pitching.... Suddenly one big bat and a multitude of injury change everything.

you wanna talk to a mets fan about injuries? our starting left fielder and 5 hitter played 2 innings, our right fielder and best hitter through the first two months of the season thought he was batman, pedro hasn't been healthy since the clinton administration, beltran gets the sniffles and sits out a week, and our closer blew his arm out in the middle of a pennant race.

so why didn't the mets lose 101 games despite all these key injuries? ahh right... they don't suck. seattle? yea, they suck. thus why they lost 101 games.

well i read your post right after listening to a commercial on espn radio that had douche-o-rama max kellerman saying that sabathia is the best lefty in all of baseball because santana has fallen off... so there's that.

Thanks for lumping me in with that clown.

Santana > Sabathia, hands down.

One last thing: Lefty starters in Yankee Stadium is a good thing.

Phanan, we agree, he's not worth the $$$ but I'm still glad he's in Pinstripes. I want nothing to do with AJ, he's won more than 12 games once in his career, it's insane how much $$$ is coming his way. You'd think that after the Pavano/Wright signings, the Yankees would learn their lesson.

Cole Hamels, way to make friends in the big apple:

ESPN - Cole Hamels labels New York Mets as chokers

Hamels: Mets have been 'choke artists'
ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 11, 2008, 8:26 PM ET

As World Series champions, the Philadelphia Phillies have earned the right to flaunt their status. Pitcher Cole Hamels might have gone a little overboard, and at the expense of the team's bitter rival, no less.

In an interview on New York sports talk station WFAN on Thursday, Hamels, the World Series MVP, responded in the affirmative when asked if he thought the Mets were "choke artists."

"Last year and this year I think we did believe that [they were choke artists]," Hamels told the station, alluding to the Phillies winning the NL East in 2008 and '07, in part, with the help of back-to-back September collapses by New York. "Three years ago we didn't because they smoked everybody, and I think we all thought they were going to win it all. Unfortunately that didn't happen."

The Mets won 97 games and the NL East title in 2006 but lost to the Cardinals in the NL Championship Series in seven games.

"But, yeah, that's kind of what we believed and I think we're always going to believe that until they prove us wrong," Hamels said. "For the past two years they've been choke artists."

The trash talk between the two teams started before the 2007 season when Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins pronounced Philadelphia the team to beat in the NL East even though New York ran away with the division crown in '06. New York squandered a seven-game cushion with 17 to play in 2007 as the Phillies took the division and Rollins went on to win the NL MVP award.

Early in spring training this year, after the Mets acquired ace left-hander Johan Santana, normally quiet outfielder Carlos Beltran had a message for Rollins, saying the Mets were the team to beat in 2008. New York finished second in the East to Philadelphia and the Phillies went on to beat the Tampa Bay Rays in the World Series.

Lets see, the Red Sox lost their #1, Beckett for a bit at the end of the season, lost their #2 Schilling, for 100% of the season, and traded away the best hitter in baseball halfway through the season. Also lost Ortiz for a third of the season, and he was never quite right after returning, lost JD Drew for a third of the season and same for Mike Lowell, yet missed the World Series by a game.

Good teams overcome injuries, the Mariners were not a good team, even 100% healthy they don't sniff the Angels.

Only if by "good" you mean "teams with massive depth." I'll give you that--the Mariners didn't have depth, so when a few key guys went down early, it really hurt. :shrug:

So are you saying that without the injuries they would've won about 150-162 games?

I don't know where you've learned math, but the way I read it, it would have placed the Mariners in the 90-100 win category.

you wanna talk to a mets fan about injuries? our starting left fielder and 5 hitter played 2 innings, our right fielder and best hitter through the first two months of the season thought he was batman, pedro hasn't been healthy since the clinton administration, beltran gets the sniffles and sits out a week, and our closer blew his arm out in the middle of a pennant race.

so why didn't the mets lose 101 games despite all these key injuries? ahh right... they don't suck. seattle? yea, they suck. thus why they lost 101 games.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Seattle's not on the east coast. Their entire starting rotation amounts to two hitters being out and a has-been staying perpetually injured. I'm sure the Mariners had a couple of position players who sat out sick, so that point's moot, and so is the closer. By the way, fuck Carlos Beltran for spiking the guy that was outpitching Santana (and hit a fucking grand slam off him).

And in the end, I just need to learn that people don't pay any attention to the west coast, or injuries to good teams on the west coast, and that posting anything in this forum pertaining to baseball is useless and futile because the east coast is all that matters. ( :barf: )

Oh yeah, I forgot. Seattle's ot on the east coast. Their entire starting rotation amounts to two hitters being out and a has-been staying perpetually injured. I'm sure the Mariners had a couple of position players who sat out sick, so that point's moot, and so is the closer. By the way, fuck Carlos Beltran for spiking the guy that was outpitching Santana (and hit a fucking grand slam off him).

And in the end, I just need to learn that people don't pay any attention to the west coast, or injuries to good teams on the west coast, and that posting anything in this forum pertaining to baseball is useless and futile because the east coast is all that matters. ( :barf: )

I see your Seattle Mariners and raise you the LA Dodgers (#1 pitcher has started 6 games over the last 2 years, best all-around field player played 36 games last year, closer missed 1/3 of the season, and so forth).

They were fortunate enough to have a deep, skilled roster -- one that was developed within their own farm system.

Cole Hamels, way to make friends in the big apple:

ESPN - Cole Hamels labels New York Mets as chokers

To be fair to Cole, the interview was on WFAN (New York), and the interviewer asked him a leading question to get him to say something like this. It's not like he was going out of his way to be an ass.

Besides, you can't fault a guy for honesty. The Mets have choked away playoff appearances two years in a row (and that's a fact).

No, people don't ignore the west coast, the Angels and Dodgers get plenty of attention.
The Pacific Northwest is another story.
I mean you have to face reality, Seattle is a ghost town of a sports town right now...Mariners were worst team in the AL and only outdone by the lowly Washington Nationals in MLB (I'm sorry, say it till you're Interference blue in the face, but injuries alone don't take a team from title contender to 61-101, they were not winning more than 80 games completely healthy), The Seahawks are a small step from the Detroit Lions (go ahead mention injuries as your excuse here as well, I know the Seabags have had them, but there's no way in hell they've had more impactful injuries than the Patriots, yet the Patriots are still in contention at 8-5 in a much tougher division), and the Sonics left for friggin' Oklahoma City of all the bustling metropolises.
(Plus you don't have an NHL team, and the UDub Willinghams were possibly the worst team in a BCS conference)

Seattle is not a good place to be a sports fan these days.

Thankfully you still have Mike McCready.
YouTube - Mike McCready playing behind his back

I mean you have to face reality, Seattle is a ghost town of a sports town right now...Mariners were worst team in the AL and only outdone by the lowly Washington Nationals in MLB (I'm sorry, say it till you're Interference blue in the face, but injuries alone don't take a team from title contender to 61-101, they were not winning more than 80 games completely healthy)

The funny part about this section is that the exact same team, only healthy (and with the addition of Erik Bedard and subtraction of Jose Guillen) went 88-74 in 2007. So I'm confused at how they wouldn't have won more than 80 games. Especially when loads of pre-'08 predictions were for Seattle to take 1st or 2nd in the AL west....

But you're right about other sports in Seattle. Then again, I don't care about other sports. So there's that. :shrug:

So I'm confused at how they wouldn't have won more than 80 games. Especially when loads of pre-'08 predictions were for Seattle to take 1st or 2nd in the AL west....
You're arguing here with Red Sox fans, the tourist, keep that in mind. And yes, most everyone here picked the Mariners to win the division last season.

Tourist, I'm with you on the injuries, though I didn't follow the Mariners closely, so I didn't realize so many of their starters were hurt. (Keep in mind that when I've brought up the '04 and '07 injury-plagued Angel teams here, the Red Sox fans posting in this thread will not acknowledge the facts, simply because their Red Sox team beat those Angel teams in the ALDS each of those seasons, and these fans believe that if they acknowledge those Angel teams were beat up, it somehow takes something away from the Sox victories (when in fact, it doesn't. Those Sox teams were excellent teams.).

Thing is, if your team's got good depth at the positions AND you've got 3 or 4 above-average starting pitchers healthy all season, you can win even with a lot of injuries. But the key thing is the pitching.

The Mariners ended up sucking because they lost too much pitching to injury. On top of that, they didn't have much depth at the positions, although that can't save you anyway if you lose all your pitching.

The Angels have been winning for several years due to their pitching depth. Everybody knows our offense is prone to long slumps.

The funny part about this section is that the exact same team, only healthy (and with the addition of Erik Bedard and subtraction of Jose Guillen) went 88-74 in 2007. So I'm confused at how they wouldn't have won more than 80 games.

The 2007 Mariners also got outscored over the course of the season. They were roughly a 80-win team that ran a little hot. Adding Bedard puts them at 87 or so, according to his WARP from 2007. 100 is a huge stretch.

AJ Burnett to the Yankees for 5/82.5.

pbjtime.gif

I wish I could pretend to be happy about the Burnett signing, but I'm not. Fucking guy has won more than 12 games once in his career. CC, they overpaid but I really am confident that he's going to pitch well. This guy, I just don't expect a lot. I hope to be proven wrong.

"With (Santana), now, I have no doubt that we're going to win in our division. So this year, to Jimmy Rollins, we are the team to beat." - Carlos Beltran, Feb. 17, 2008

"Of course, we're going to try to win the division. Of course, we're going to be the front-runner. Of course, we're going to be the team to beat." - Francisco Rodriguez, Dec. 12, 2008

phillies-win1.jpg

yes, that's right... i think the mariners suck not because they lost 101 games, but because they're on the west coast.

I have some friends from Seattle and they say the same thing. The PAC 10 is underrated. Seattle sports teams get no credit.

I'm not going to brag about the Big 10...but seriously, the west coast sure has it rough.

I wish I could pretend to be happy about the Burnett signing, but I'm not. Fucking guy has won more than 12 games once in his career. CC, they overpaid but I really am confident that he's going to pitch well. This guy, I just don't expect a lot. I hope to be proven wrong.

Yeah, like I said before, Burnett getting that kind of a contract is ridiculous. I guess the Yankees thought they needed a suitable replacement for Pavano.

Lets face it, without injury, both the Mariners and Angels would have gone162-0 each of the last 5 seasons and each won the World Series every year.

and cole hammels and the entire phillies roster can stroke me.

Chase Utley would have gone 162-0 by himself, if it wasn't for injury.

Damn injuries.

You guys just won't recognize because Chase is from California.

when beltran or k-rod says the mets are the team to beat it is just as douchey as when jimmy rollins said it.

as a met fan i wish they'd just shut up and perform.
See, K-rod's already getting under your skin...

Just wait for his first pitch to a 100+ mph out of control slider that goes to the screen, enabling the first base runner to get to second and then score on the next pitch, a grooved fastball that's hit into the gapl...Cubbies win! cubbies win!

*just an example soon to be repeated in your town...

See, K-rod's already getting under your skin...

Just wait for his first pitch to a 100+ mph out of control slider that goes to the screen, enabling the first base runner to get to second and then score on the next pitch, a grooved fastball that's hit into the gapl...Cubbies win! cubbies win!

*just an example soon to be repeated in your town...

i wouldn't say he's under my skin after one douchey comment. i still like beltran, even though he made the same douchey comment last year.

So this Texeira negotiation is puzzling.
A few days ago it was down to 4 teams, Balt, Wash, LAA and Bos. Balt and Wash basically backed off cause their offers weren't gonna measure up, reports are the Sox' offer is $20million higher than the Angels, and the Sox just took themselves out of the running cause they can't meet the asking price...what kind of game is Bor-ass playing?

So this Texeira negotiation is puzzling.
A few days ago it was down to 4 teams, Balt, Wash, LAA and Bos. Balt and Wash basically backed off cause their offers weren't gonna measure up, reports are the Sox' offer is $20million higher than the Angels, and the Sox just took themselves out of the running cause they can't meet the asking price...what kind of game is Bor-ass playing?

Must be some mystery team in Japan offering 10/$280MM or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom