MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not particularly. If we'd lost to them it probably would. The only ill feelings I feel towards them are towards Joe Maddon (who proved to be a huge whiner, and I wanted to like him since he's a Philly guy) and Bossman Junior, because I hate laziness.

SI did a great piece on Maddon. Don't judge him by one Series. He's a great guy and everyone that has ever dealt with him has nothing but superlatives to say about him.

Baseball union lets down Romero | Philadelphia Daily News | 01/06/2009

Baseball union lets down Romero
Rich Hoffman

It's a lousy result, a 50-game suspension for Phils reliever J.C. Romero.

And it's the union's fault.

You have heard the basics by now: that Romero bought a supplement in a Cherry Hill nutrition store, that a Phillies' trainer was unable to tell him if it was OK, that the label did not contain any of baseball's banned substances, and that Romero subsequently tested positive. Romero has told the Inquirer and ESPN.com that he did not knowingly ingest a banned substance.

People want to paint baseball as the villain here. That's wrong. It's the union.

The most telling quote in any of the reporting so far came from a November letter that the union sent to players. Quoting from the ESPN.com story, which cited the letter:

"We have previously told you there is no reason to believe a supplement bought at a U.S. based retail store could cause you to test positive under our Drug Program. That is no longer true. We have recently learned of three substances which can be bought over the counter at stores in the United States that will cause you to test positive. These three supplements were purchased at a GNC and Vitamin Shoppe in the U.S."

Fat lot of good it does Romero now.

You can't blame baseball for the suspension -- or for the suspension of Yankees pitcher Sergio Mitre -- because "I didn't know" cannot be a valid excuse if your intention is to run a serious drug-testing program. But if the reason Romero ultimately took the supplement, the reason he thought it was OK, was because he bought it over the counter and the union gave its universal blessing to every bottle of synthetically-engineered crap on every store shelf in the whole entire United States of America, well, it would seem to me that the union has some explaining to do. As in, how could it possibly take such an irresponsibly-liberal approach to this business?

For its part, the union issued a statement:

"Mitre and Romero both legally purchased nutritional supplements from national chain
stores in the United States. Nothing on the labels of those supplements indicated that they
contained a trace amount of a substance prohibited under Major League Baseball's Joint Drug
Prevention and Treatment Program. Neither player intentionally ingested this prohibited
substance, but the arbitrator nevertheless found, wrongly in our view, that the players' conduct
violated the Program’s "no fault or negligence" standard.

"The Union respects the arbitration process and treats the decision as final. In our view,
though, the resulting discipline imposed upon Mitre and Romero is unfair. These players should
not be suspended. Their unknowing actions plainly are distinguishable from those of a person
who intentionally used an illegal performance-enhancing substance.

"The Association and the Commissioner's Office must now act to prevent future similar
occurrences within baseball. The Association remains committed to a strong Joint Drug Program,
but will continue to advocate forcefully for fair treatment of our members."

To repeat: fat lot of good it does Romero now.

I like how he said in his news conference that he pretty much wanted to go to the Yankees all along.

So did I! :hyper:

Poor Jason Giambi. His #25 barely had a chance to get cold. I liked Jason during his time with the Yanks. He seemed like a good guy. He had a few good years with the Yanks, but unfortunately, most of them weren't worth what the Yanks were paying him. Next to Carl Pavano and a handful of others, his signing was among the worst in Yankee history. Hopefully, Tex will provide for the Yanks what Giambi failed to bring.

texiera will provide a better glove and slightly better batting average than what giambi brought... the homeruns and rbi will be about the same. for that you made him a top 4 paid player in baseball. congrats.

apparently the offer the red sox made to him was worth more money, but he turned it down. that is if you choose to believe a word scott boras says.

I'm just thrilled that Pat the Bat is now in the AL. He kills the Mets every time he plays them.:applaud:

Now if we could just get Chipper Larry Jones to go to the AL also.

I'm just thrilled that Pat the Bat is now in the AL. He kills the Mets every time he plays them.:applaud:

Now if we could just get Chipper Larry Jones to go to the AL also.

frankly i'm more concerned with beating the marlins and nationals than any brave or phillie.

the mets would be sitting on 3 straight division titles if they could only beat the worst teams in the national league in the last month of the season. instead they're, well, not.

I'd be more fearful of Burrell/Chipper in a crucial spot late in the season than say an Alfredo Amezega or Lastings Milledge ('memba him?):lol:

I said the same thing when the Phillies signed Adam Eaton to a $25 million deal. Coincidentally, you did not see him out there during the World Series.

Mets are close to signing Tim Redding !

WTF good does that do us?

34-51 career record.:doh:

it adds depth to the back end of the rotation in the form of a guy who eats a lot of innings and hasn't really pitched that poorly, just happens to have been on terrible teams.

i love the signing... i'd much rather have redding going out there and throwing 180 innings than the grab bag 5th starter they had last season (reach in, see what'cha get).

if they can add lowe i'll be even happier... i can deal with santana, lowe, pelfrey, maine and redding... the biggest question mark there would be maine's health.

signing lowe right now is key. word on the street is that when they took wright and a couple other guys over to citi field in september to take some BP that the ball flew off their bats, that it played as a hitter's park... so being able to get a ground ball pitcher like lowe would be ideal. two ground ball pitchers and an all time ace at the top of your rotation? yea... i can deal.

Looks like Redding's deal is for 1 year, $2.25 million -- for that price, you could do a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom