MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So this Texeira negotiation is puzzling.
A few days ago it was down to 4 teams, Balt, Wash, LAA and Bos. Balt and Wash basically backed off cause their offers weren't gonna measure up, reports are the Sox' offer is $20million higher than the Angels, and the Sox just took themselves out of the running cause they can't meet the asking price...what kind of game is Bor-ass playing?

what's most puzzling is that texeria ain't worth anything close to what he's gonna get. mark texeria? a 200 million dollar guy? really? he wouldn't even be in my top 10 guys in the league, and he's a 200 million dollar guy? recession ftw

Eight years, more than $170 million, giving the Yankees the four highest paid players in baseball.

Disgusting. I can't wait for them to miss the playoffs again.

Not sure what happened here. Probably one of the following:

1. Teixeira just didn't like Boston;
2. Boston were really stubborn about not including a no-trade clause or an extra $20MM;
3. Cashman just thoroughly pwned the rest of MLB by lying low while the whole Boston-Baltimore-Washington-LAA tug-of-war was going on, then swooped in for the kill.

On paper, I'd have to say that this puts NYY in the AL East lead for 2009.

I'd have to say that the no-trade clause was probably a huge factor, because the money wasn't that much of a difference.

And Boras wasn't too happy with John Henry's email last week, so he probably had extra incentive to stick it to him.

Of all the Yankee signings, this one I like best.

I sort of agree that it's partly disgusting, but, I find the Padres situation a lot more disgusting, frankly.

Not sure if this makes the Yanks the favorite or not, but they sure as hell are more loaded than last season, doubly so if Wang/Joba/AJ can pitch all season.

Gotta love Boston Dirt Dogs...

BDD_SB_grinch_12.23.08.jpg

I watched Teixeira for the majority of his career. That he is one of the four highest paid players in the MLB is absolutely asinine.

I wonder how this signing will affect my boy Nick the Swish on the Yanks. I think he wanted to play 1st base, but that's not happening anymore.

I wonder how this signing will affect my boy Nick the Swish on the Yanks. I think he wanted to play 1st base, but that's not happening anymore.

Swisher will likely start in CF (not ideal, but an improvement over Damon's decomposing corpse and the Melk Dud).

I wouldn't count Toronto out either, especially if Roy Halladay can pitch twice every five days.

Failing that, they could do something like sign Ben Sheets, but I like the first idea better.

I watched Teixeira for the majority of his career. That he is one of the four highest paid players in the MLB is absolutely asinine.

He might not be the fourth most valuable player in MLB, but he's still a consistent top-tier performer. Overpaying for him isn't a disaster. It's overpaying for the mediocre players (Vazquez, Renteria, Lugo, etc.) that hurts.

if texiera's worth 20 per manny's worth 40 per.

that's ridiculous that a guy who's not even in the top 10 in baseball to get that much money.

so the yankees got a step up from giambi, but not a huge step up.

on top of that they got an overweight pitcher who doesn't want to be in new york in c.c. sabathia, who was mediocre at best his last turn through the AL...

the second coming of carl pavano in a.j. burnett

a catcher signed long term who physicaly can't catch anymore, but now can't play first base or DH either because htey have a left fielder in matsui who can't field anymore and needs to DH.

a centerfielder / leftfielder in damon who throws like my mom.

a core of veterans who are a year older, and the best hitter in baseball with runners in the dugout.

i do give 'em credit for this... IF sabathia is able to handle new york, IF burnett is finally able to stay healthy, and IF texiera can put up tino martinez type numbers... then they will be significantly better while actually having a lower payroll than the year before...

for all the yankee haters who are disgusted with the money they're spending, their payroll is less than it was last year.

and i do agree with NSW... what san diego is doing is far more disgraceful and harmful to baseball than what the yankees just did. i have no problem whatsoever with the yankees spending this kinda money... i just don't think they neccesarily spent it wisely. but of course, time will tell.

if texiera's worth 20 per manny's worth 40 per.

that's ridiculous that a guy who's not even in the top 10 in baseball to get that much money.

so the yankees got a step up from giambi, but not a huge step up.

on top of that they got an overweight pitcher who doesn't want to be in new york in c.c. sabathia, who was mediocre at best his last turn through the AL...

the second coming of carl pavano in a.j. burnett

a catcher signed long term who physicaly can't catch anymore, but now can't play first base or DH either because htey have a left fielder in matsui who can't field anymore and needs to DH.

a centerfielder / leftfielder in damon who throws like my mom.

a core of veterans who are a year older, and the best hitter in baseball with runners in the dugout.

i do give 'em credit for this... IF sabathia is able to handle new york, IF burnett is finally able to stay healthy, and IF texiera can put up tino martinez type numbers... then they will be significantly better while actually having a lower payroll than the year before...

for all the yankee haters who are disgusted with the money they're spending, their payroll is less than it was last year.

and i do agree with NSW... what san diego is doing is far more disgraceful and harmful to baseball than what the yankees just did. i have no problem whatsoever with the yankees spending this kinda money... i just don't think they neccesarily spent it wisely. but of course, time will tell.

I think that the bulk of the above is correct and/or fair (I think Posada can still catch effectively). Lots of ifs with the team, of course. But, to me, it's clear they're improved from last year, and it's not like they were under .500 last season. I still maintain that Texiera is the best signing of them all. Is he worth THAT exact amount of $$$? Probably not, but he's a fantastic hitter, a great fielder, he certainly did not wilt when he got to the post-season last year, and he's a great guy. He reminds me of Tino, I think he'll be as good as Tino. The bottom line, to me at least, is that of the top four, or five at most, free agents, the Yanks went out and added three of them. Will it pan out? Time will tell.

The only disgraceful thing that the Yanks have done is spend all this $$$ then ask the city for $$$ for the Stadium. That irks me a little.

Hide-a-key Matsui is the DH.
Barring a trade that sends Milky Cabrera out for pitching, Swisher is a $9million pinch hitter.

I've got a feeling, having Swish is going to be a great thing. The Yanks could move Nady to Right, keep Johnny in Left and put Swish in CF. Unless, Melky has an amazing Spring, I couldn't see him being the full time CF. If Melky does play well, Swish could see time as a part time 1B/DH. And if Brett Gardner starts off strong, things are really going to pick up. Matsui is definitely the DH.

Manny's great and all, but I don't know if he's worth 40 Million. Maybe 35? :wink: Manny is a pretty high maintenance player. Who's to say he won't quit on the next team that signs him. The BoSox were the defending World Champions and he quit on them. Is winning a priority for the guy or does he just want to get his way?

So, who in baseball deserves to be the highest paid? Just wondering since it seems like some people have a top 10 brewing or something.

In no particular order:

A-Rod
Pujols
Halladay
Johan
Mauer (when he reaches free agency)
Sizemore (ditto)
Berkman
CC
C. Jones
Manny
Bonds