MLB Hot Stove Edition - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #196
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:03 AM
I feel that Milton Bradley is very misunderstood. He's a great character guy who will fit in well with any clubhouse...

Here's what I wish. I wish we would trade Soriano and get a guy who would help ease the tension in the dugout rather than sit and pout.
I wish we would have kept DeRosa. He's a well liked guy and he hit .333 in our short playoffs with a home run and 2 doubles. (ahem, Soriano hit .071 just for the record). But he probably had a career year and won't repeat it, so if we got talent in this deal, cool.

I think the Miles signing could be good for the team. He's not a big name, and that's ok. You don't need to sign only big names.

I don't think the Cubs will get Peavy. And I don't think I want them to. Isn't San Diego's field the type that favors the pitchers? I could be wrong. That said, I am not sure about Dempster's big contract either. I like this guy too, but did you see his performance in the playoffs? How much is he getting paid for 7 walks?

Milton Bradley is a talented player, but I really would just like to see the Cubs go with Felix Pie for an extended period of time. He is really good at defense and has great speed. He may even be a leadoff hitter??? That would mean Soriano might have to hit 2 or 3 in the lineup...then he'd cry.

Are you picking up what I'm hinting at here? I despise Soriano and would rather trade him for anyone than have him on our team. He makes me miss Matt Murton.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #197
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:03 AM
"Milton Bradley is very misunderstood" killed me. That's something my father would say.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #198
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Oh, I should mention that realize that if we keep Soriano for the 7 years left on his contract, I will be waiting at least 7 more years before celebrating a Chicago Cubs World Series.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #199
Blue Crack Supplier

I can completely understand your dislike for Soriano.

However, if they can make the playoffs (which they still can), anything can happen.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #200
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You're right, and I think about fans of teams like the Pirates, who would love to get to the playoffs regardless of their results. But my concern every year is who will be that vocal leader for the Cubs The guy who relaxes his teammates. Look at Manny. I know he's crazy and sometimes a headache, but the guy makes his teammates better and has fun playing the game. And it is contagious. Though, I would argue that Torre has a lot to do with that as well. Philly had players like that too. Victorino maybe isn't a vocal leader in the clubhouse, but his play for sure motivates others to follow suit. Chase Utley, Matt Stairs, Ryan Howard(?) all seem like leaders...maybe even some of them goofy.

I don't know who we have like that. D. Lee is a quiet guy. Soriano seems a little self centered, Aramis Ramirez is quiet too. Zambrano is crazy... It seems to me that Soriano or Zambrano should be the guy. The biggest thing to me is that this team can't do what they did in the playoffs and that is pout or get frustrated. I have never seen a team press so much as I did this past year. If Soriano is getting paid millions, he needs to be more than just stats.

but again, at least I have a team that makes it to the playoffs.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #201
Blue Crack Supplier

You can be quiet and be a leader: for the Phillies, that's Utley. He says little (unless he's wasted, see: World Fuckin' Champions) but plays the game the right way and leads in that way.

I'd say the only "vocal leader" is Jimmy Rollins. There's video of him during Game 5 Part 2 walking back to the clubhouse, where Pat Burrell was taking cuts before his big at bat, where he goes up and says, "I don't want to see this guy up to bat, I want to see Pat Burrell up to bat. I want to see number five up there at the plate." Burrell went up and hit a double off the top of the wall, his first hit of the World Series.

I can tell you when they didn't have a leader: in the early 00s, they had guys like Scott Rolen and Bobby Abreu. Abreu was too quiet and didn't hustle, and Rolen was a crybaby who was too sensitive. That team lacked leadership, and it showed.

It can get better.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #202
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Very good point. Rollins is the man where Rolen is seriously a big baby.

Really though, once this season starts, I will pretty much be ridiculously optimistic and say this is the year. Just like I do every year.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #203
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Hope springs eternal.

I don't think the Cubs need a whole hell of a lot of changes. Not sure dealing De Rosa is a step in the right direction, regardless of who they're freeing up $$$ to sign or trade for. But what the hell do I know? Cubs will be Central favorites for 2009 regardless.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #204
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

This is true. DeRosa was nice because he was so versatile. That will be missed. But I guess for infielders, we still have Theriot, Fontenot, and then Ronny Cedeno should get some playing time. The problem is, who is our backup 1st baseman. It will all work out.

And you're right, the Cubs will still be favored in 2009.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #205
Blue Crack Addict

Milton Bradley tried to fight an announcer DURING A GAME.

What team doesn't need that?
Old 01-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #206
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Can you imagine Bradley playing for Lou?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Now Bradley will play for Lou...so I won't have to imagine at all.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #208
Blue Crack Supplier

Pat Burrell signed with Tampa. Kind of surreal, the idea of him playing somewhere else.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #209
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Does it bug you that he went to the Rays? The team you beat in the WS?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #210
Blue Crack Supplier

Not particularly. If we'd lost to them it probably would. The only ill feelings I feel towards them are towards Joe Maddon (who proved to be a huge whiner, and I wanted to like him since he's a Philly guy) and Bossman Junior, because I hate laziness.

Tags
baseball, major league baseball, mlb