MLB Hot Stove Edition - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #166
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:11 AM
I watched Teixeira for the majority of his career. That he is one of the four highest paid players in the MLB is absolutely asinine.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:36 PM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 PM
I wonder how this signing will affect my boy Nick the Swish on the Yanks. I think he wanted to play 1st base, but that's not happening anymore.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
I wonder how this signing will affect my boy Nick the Swish on the Yanks. I think he wanted to play 1st base, but that's not happening anymore.
Someone's gotta DH it, I suppose.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Swisher will likely start in CF (not ideal, but an improvement over Damon's decomposing corpse and the Melk Dud).
Old 12-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #170
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Someone's gotta DH it, I suppose.
Hide-a-key Matsui is the DH.
Barring a trade that sends Milky Cabrera out for pitching, Swisher is a $9million pinch hitter.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I'll giggle if they don't make the playoffs again.
They play in arguably the toughest division in MLB. The Rays and BoSox will be coming back with a vengence. The Yanks going to the playoffs is still no gimme. They still have to stay healthy.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I wouldn't count Toronto out either, especially if Roy Halladay can pitch twice every five days.

Failing that, they could do something like sign Ben Sheets, but I like the first idea better.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
I watched Teixeira for the majority of his career. That he is one of the four highest paid players in the MLB is absolutely asinine.
He might not be the fourth most valuable player in MLB, but he's still a consistent top-tier performer. Overpaying for him isn't a disaster. It's overpaying for the mediocre players (Vazquez, Renteria, Lugo, etc.) that hurts.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #174
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Barring a trade that sends Milky Cabrera out for pitching, Swisher is a $9million pinch hitter.
That's what I'm afraid of. That would be a shame for the Swish. Oh well.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #175
Blue Crack Distributor

if texiera's worth 20 per manny's worth 40 per.

that's ridiculous that a guy who's not even in the top 10 in baseball to get that much money.

so the yankees got a step up from giambi, but not a huge step up.

on top of that they got an overweight pitcher who doesn't want to be in new york in c.c. sabathia, who was mediocre at best his last turn through the AL...

the second coming of carl pavano in a.j. burnett

a catcher signed long term who physicaly can't catch anymore, but now can't play first base or DH either because htey have a left fielder in matsui who can't field anymore and needs to DH.

a centerfielder / leftfielder in damon who throws like my mom.

a core of veterans who are a year older, and the best hitter in baseball with runners in the dugout.

i do give 'em credit for this... IF sabathia is able to handle new york, IF burnett is finally able to stay healthy, and IF texiera can put up tino martinez type numbers... then they will be significantly better while actually having a lower payroll than the year before...

for all the yankee haters who are disgusted with the money they're spending, their payroll is less than it was last year.

and i do agree with NSW... what san diego is doing is far more disgraceful and harmful to baseball than what the yankees just did. i have no problem whatsoever with the yankees spending this kinda money... i just don't think they neccesarily spent it wisely. but of course, time will tell.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #176
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
if texiera's worth 20 per manny's worth 40 per.

that's ridiculous that a guy who's not even in the top 10 in baseball to get that much money.

so the yankees got a step up from giambi, but not a huge step up.

on top of that they got an overweight pitcher who doesn't want to be in new york in c.c. sabathia, who was mediocre at best his last turn through the AL...

the second coming of carl pavano in a.j. burnett

a catcher signed long term who physicaly can't catch anymore, but now can't play first base or DH either because htey have a left fielder in matsui who can't field anymore and needs to DH.

a centerfielder / leftfielder in damon who throws like my mom.

a core of veterans who are a year older, and the best hitter in baseball with runners in the dugout.

i do give 'em credit for this... IF sabathia is able to handle new york, IF burnett is finally able to stay healthy, and IF texiera can put up tino martinez type numbers... then they will be significantly better while actually having a lower payroll than the year before...

for all the yankee haters who are disgusted with the money they're spending, their payroll is less than it was last year.

and i do agree with NSW... what san diego is doing is far more disgraceful and harmful to baseball than what the yankees just did. i have no problem whatsoever with the yankees spending this kinda money... i just don't think they neccesarily spent it wisely. but of course, time will tell.

I think that the bulk of the above is correct and/or fair (I think Posada can still catch effectively). Lots of ifs with the team, of course. But, to me, it's clear they're improved from last year, and it's not like they were under .500 last season. I still maintain that Texiera is the best signing of them all. Is he worth THAT exact amount of $$$? Probably not, but he's a fantastic hitter, a great fielder, he certainly did not wilt when he got to the post-season last year, and he's a great guy. He reminds me of Tino, I think he'll be as good as Tino. The bottom line, to me at least, is that of the top four, or five at most, free agents, the Yanks went out and added three of them. Will it pan out? Time will tell.

The only disgraceful thing that the Yanks have done is spend all this $$$ then ask the city for $$$ for the Stadium. That irks me a little.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #177
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Hide-a-key Matsui is the DH.
I've got a feeling, having Swish is going to be a great thing. The Yanks could move Nady to Right, keep Johnny in Left and put Swish in CF. Unless, Melky has an amazing Spring, I couldn't see him being the full time CF. If Melky does play well, Swish could see time as a part time 1B/DH. And if Brett Gardner starts off strong, things are really going to pick up. Matsui is definitely the DH.

Manny's great and all, but I don't know if he's worth 40 Million. Maybe 35? Manny is a pretty high maintenance player. Who's to say he won't quit on the next team that signs him. The BoSox were the defending World Champions and he quit on them. Is winning a priority for the guy or does he just want to get his way?
Old 12-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #178
Blue Crack Addict

So, who in baseball deserves to be the highest paid? Just wondering since it seems like some people have a top 10 brewing or something.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:29 AM   #179
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
So, who in baseball deserves to be the highest paid? Just wondering since it seems like some people have a top 10 brewing or something.
I would probably say Pujols.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

In no particular order:

A-Rod
Pujols
Halladay
Johan
Mauer (when he reaches free agency)
Sizemore (ditto)