MLB Hot Stove Edition - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #166
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,414
Local Time: 09:11 AM
I watched Teixeira for the majority of his career. That he is one of the four highest paid players in the MLB is absolutely asinine.
__________________

__________________
impy13 is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 11:36 PM   #167
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,278
Local Time: 02:11 PM
I wonder how this signing will affect my boy Nick the Swish on the Yanks. I think he wanted to play 1st base, but that's not happening anymore.
__________________

__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline  
Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,955
Local Time: 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
I wonder how this signing will affect my boy Nick the Swish on the Yanks. I think he wanted to play 1st base, but that's not happening anymore.
Someone's gotta DH it, I suppose.
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
I wonder how this signing will affect my boy Nick the Swish on the Yanks. I think he wanted to play 1st base, but that's not happening anymore.
Swisher will likely start in CF (not ideal, but an improvement over Damon's decomposing corpse and the Melk Dud).
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #170
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,478
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Someone's gotta DH it, I suppose.
Hide-a-key Matsui is the DH.
Barring a trade that sends Milky Cabrera out for pitching, Swisher is a $9million pinch hitter.
__________________
Hewson is online now  
Old 12-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,950
Local Time: 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I'll giggle if they don't make the playoffs again.
They play in arguably the toughest division in MLB. The Rays and BoSox will be coming back with a vengence. The Yanks going to the playoffs is still no gimme. They still have to stay healthy.
__________________
MrPryck2U is online now  
Old 12-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 03:11 PM
I wouldn't count Toronto out either, especially if Roy Halladay can pitch twice every five days.

Failing that, they could do something like sign Ben Sheets, but I like the first idea better.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impy13 View Post
I watched Teixeira for the majority of his career. That he is one of the four highest paid players in the MLB is absolutely asinine.
He might not be the fourth most valuable player in MLB, but he's still a consistent top-tier performer. Overpaying for him isn't a disaster. It's overpaying for the mediocre players (Vazquez, Renteria, Lugo, etc.) that hurts.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #174
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,278
Local Time: 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Barring a trade that sends Milky Cabrera out for pitching, Swisher is a $9million pinch hitter.
That's what I'm afraid of. That would be a shame for the Swish. Oh well.
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #175
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,379
Local Time: 03:11 PM
if texiera's worth 20 per manny's worth 40 per.

that's ridiculous that a guy who's not even in the top 10 in baseball to get that much money.

so the yankees got a step up from giambi, but not a huge step up.

on top of that they got an overweight pitcher who doesn't want to be in new york in c.c. sabathia, who was mediocre at best his last turn through the AL...

the second coming of carl pavano in a.j. burnett

a catcher signed long term who physicaly can't catch anymore, but now can't play first base or DH either because htey have a left fielder in matsui who can't field anymore and needs to DH.

a centerfielder / leftfielder in damon who throws like my mom.

a core of veterans who are a year older, and the best hitter in baseball with runners in the dugout.


i do give 'em credit for this... IF sabathia is able to handle new york, IF burnett is finally able to stay healthy, and IF texiera can put up tino martinez type numbers... then they will be significantly better while actually having a lower payroll than the year before...

for all the yankee haters who are disgusted with the money they're spending, their payroll is less than it was last year.

and i do agree with NSW... what san diego is doing is far more disgraceful and harmful to baseball than what the yankees just did. i have no problem whatsoever with the yankees spending this kinda money... i just don't think they neccesarily spent it wisely. but of course, time will tell.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 12-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #176
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
if texiera's worth 20 per manny's worth 40 per.

that's ridiculous that a guy who's not even in the top 10 in baseball to get that much money.

so the yankees got a step up from giambi, but not a huge step up.

on top of that they got an overweight pitcher who doesn't want to be in new york in c.c. sabathia, who was mediocre at best his last turn through the AL...

the second coming of carl pavano in a.j. burnett

a catcher signed long term who physicaly can't catch anymore, but now can't play first base or DH either because htey have a left fielder in matsui who can't field anymore and needs to DH.

a centerfielder / leftfielder in damon who throws like my mom.

a core of veterans who are a year older, and the best hitter in baseball with runners in the dugout.


i do give 'em credit for this... IF sabathia is able to handle new york, IF burnett is finally able to stay healthy, and IF texiera can put up tino martinez type numbers... then they will be significantly better while actually having a lower payroll than the year before...

for all the yankee haters who are disgusted with the money they're spending, their payroll is less than it was last year.

and i do agree with NSW... what san diego is doing is far more disgraceful and harmful to baseball than what the yankees just did. i have no problem whatsoever with the yankees spending this kinda money... i just don't think they neccesarily spent it wisely. but of course, time will tell.

I think that the bulk of the above is correct and/or fair (I think Posada can still catch effectively). Lots of ifs with the team, of course. But, to me, it's clear they're improved from last year, and it's not like they were under .500 last season. I still maintain that Texiera is the best signing of them all. Is he worth THAT exact amount of $$$? Probably not, but he's a fantastic hitter, a great fielder, he certainly did not wilt when he got to the post-season last year, and he's a great guy. He reminds me of Tino, I think he'll be as good as Tino. The bottom line, to me at least, is that of the top four, or five at most, free agents, the Yanks went out and added three of them. Will it pan out? Time will tell.

The only disgraceful thing that the Yanks have done is spend all this $$$ then ask the city for $$$ for the Stadium. That irks me a little.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 12-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #177
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
MrPryck2U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Long Island, NY, USA, Earth
Posts: 8,950
Local Time: 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Hide-a-key Matsui is the DH.
Barring a trade that sends Milky Cabrera out for pitching, Swisher is a $9million pinch hitter.
I've got a feeling, having Swish is going to be a great thing. The Yanks could move Nady to Right, keep Johnny in Left and put Swish in CF. Unless, Melky has an amazing Spring, I couldn't see him being the full time CF. If Melky does play well, Swish could see time as a part time 1B/DH. And if Brett Gardner starts off strong, things are really going to pick up. Matsui is definitely the DH.



Manny's great and all, but I don't know if he's worth 40 Million. Maybe 35? Manny is a pretty high maintenance player. Who's to say he won't quit on the next team that signs him. The BoSox were the defending World Champions and he quit on them. Is winning a priority for the guy or does he just want to get his way?
__________________
MrPryck2U is online now  
Old 12-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #178
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,955
Local Time: 12:11 PM
So, who in baseball deserves to be the highest paid? Just wondering since it seems like some people have a top 10 brewing or something.
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 01:29 AM   #179
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
So, who in baseball deserves to be the highest paid? Just wondering since it seems like some people have a top 10 brewing or something.
I would probably say Pujols.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 12-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 03:11 PM
In no particular order:

A-Rod
Pujols
Halladay
Johan
Mauer (when he reaches free agency)
Sizemore (ditto)
Berkman
CC
C. Jones
Manny
Bonds
__________________

__________________
speedracer is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
baseball, major league baseball, mlb

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com