MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, is it A-Roid, or Ster-Rod?

You know what? I can't stand the guy and I think it's BS that his test got out. '03 was supposed to be anonymous testing. Not to mention there's 103 other names on that list, I'm sure they're coming out.

Yeah, I don't much care about news of Rodriguez testing positive back in 2003. I am mostly looking forward to the press reaction to this news, which I am sure will be hilarious.

MLB network did a nice job covering this yesterday. Not sure about you guys but so far I'm really enjoying this channel.

MLB network did a nice job covering this yesterday. Not sure about you guys but so far I'm really enjoying this channel.

Outside of the fact that they keep running the same programming, I've been liking it. The set looks great, graphics are nice and clean, they just signed Costas to do pxp which is a good thing, at least for me......obviously, when you launch, your programming options will be slightly limited, so, as time goes by their schedule will become more robust. I hardly watch the NFL Network, but see myself checking out the MLB Network nightly during the season.

The Phillies signed Ryan Howard to a three year, $54 million deal, which seems like an awful lot to pay a temp.

god bless the new york post.

front020909.jpg

I can't really do anything but agree.

The only thing I will say partly in A-Rod's defense is that it does suck that not all 103 names or whatever it is have been leaked. Kind of frustrating. But, whatever flack A-Rod gets, whatever hit his HOF credentials take, is well deserved......and, for the millionth time, I really wish this fucking guy was on another team. Fucking soap operas every year with him, be it for Madonna or his "fued" with Jeter or choking his ass off in the playoffs, etc. Just not worth it.

Hate this guy.

Nice to be vindicated in those feelings, once again.

And I feel your pain, NSW. If he came to the Cubs I would NOT be pleased, regardless of what he may do.

The government? Weren't these tests administered jointly by the MLBPA and MLB?

Yes, but the government was also privy to the list of names of players who tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. The Union is at fault because they didn't destroy the samples like they were supposed to. But, the district attorney's office came in and confiscated everything. Even though they did this, they were still supposed to keep all of the names on the list confidential. Granted, MLB and the MBLPA could've leaked the list, but do we really think they'd want to? Plus, it has been reported that the leak came from within the federal government. A federal government that really has a jones for outing all of the cheaters in MLB. Because that is going to make the US a better place to live. (sarcasm, obviously) Why has the government exhausted so much time, money and effort into this? Don't they have other more pressing concerns?

I won't condone what A-Rod did when he played for Texas. Since 2004, in the 5 seasons he's been with the Yankees, he's won the MVP twice and also has hit over 35 HR's and had over 100 RBI in each of those seasons. All, while he was clean. A-Rod did the right thing, obviously, by admitting it. I know one guy, right now, who is probably relieved about this scandal and that's Michael Phelps. Thanks to A-Rod, he just got pushed out of the hotseat.

Like, I said who's next?

Because I'm pretty sure they'll be more carnage. How about Albert Pujols? I suppose any big name is no longer off limits.

Has there been any actual indications that the government is involved in this leak of information, or is this just conspiracy theory here?

A-Rod will make this a positive in the end I think. As in, I would think he could take this to younger players and talk about the risks of performance enhancing drugs/steroids. He can use this to help his image, and I think he will.

I still don't like him that much. :wink:

Wow, he just admitted to it.

I give him props for that.

Yeah, but even in his apology he comes off like an arrogant douche, I'm listening to clips of the interview on the radio on the drive home yesterday, and he gets to the point where he tells PG about the pressure he flt when he came to Tejas, and says "I wanted to live up to...[pause]" And I'm assuming the next words out of his mouth are either "the expectations" or "the contract Texas signed me to", but no his next words are "Being one of the greatest players of all time".

Dude can't even deliver a heartfelt mea culpa, I don't buy any of it..see my next post...

I won't condone what A-Rod did when he played for Texas. Since 2004, in the 5 seasons he's been with the Yankees, he's won the MVP twice and also has hit over 35 HR's and had over 100 RBI in each of those seasons. All, while he was clean. .

Do you really believe he has been clean since he strained his neck in 2003? That a sore neck caused him to say "I gotta stop this stuff"
Do you believe that coming to a team the likes of the Yankees where the pressure to perform would be ten fold that of the pressure in Tejas, he's gonna stop?

Do you believe that coming to a clubhouse that catered to some of the biggest PED offenders in MLB history in Clemens, Saint Pettitte and Giambi that he wasn't gonna have access to different, undetectable, PED's than what was detected in 2003, specifically HGH?

Don't be so naive. The dude has been on something all along, and if he stops now, we'll notice it in his numbers this year.

Steve Phillips on M&M this morning: "I can't help but look at him (ARod) and think about Britney Spears" Awesome.

he has no reason to stop it because baseball doesn't test for HGH.

the mets have gotten away pretty clean with this steroid thing... mota was about the only name player to get taken down, and everyone hated him anyways.

that said... i fully believe mike piazza was juicing, and it wouldn't shock me if reyes was on something as well.

and ya know what? i don't give a shit. it's their life, they can do what they want.

mays took amphedamines and ruth didn't play against blacks, hispanics or asians. mickey mantle was a raging alcoholic, joe dimaggio was a womanizer, and ty cobb was perhaps one of the worst human beings to ever live... and he got more votes than ruth upon his induction into the hall of fame. baseball has always been a dirty game, an unbalanced game.

this holier than thou attitude that current baseball writers like that freak eared douchebag mitch albom have are sickening. hey mike lupica... if you have such a problem with these bad bad men taking these mean steroids, why don't you give back all the proceeds from the book you wrote about the summer of '98? ya' know, for the integrity of it all. donate every dollar of profit you made from that book to an anti-drug organization. right... that'll happen.

Yeah, but even in his apology he comes off like an arrogant douche, I'm listening to clips of the interview on the radio on the drive home yesterday, and he gets to the point where he tells PG about the pressure he flt when he came to Tejas, and says "I wanted to live up to...[pause]" And I'm assuming the next words out of his mouth are either "the expectations" or "the contract Texas signed me to", but no his next words are "Being one of the greatest players of all time".

Dude can't even deliver a heartfelt mea culpa, I don't buy any of it..see my next post...

I hadn't heard the interview at the time of my initial post, but yeah, he sure is a prick.

so jeter and posada were asked if they fear that they might be on the list of the remaining 103... which one is clean, which one is not...

Asked if he was worried that his name would appear on the list of 104 names of players who failed drug tests in 2003, Jeter replied: "Why would I worry about me being on that list?"

When Posada was asked if he worried that his name would get tainted by steroids, he replied, "I hope not. I think I've done things right. I don't think I've put anything in my body that could be positive on one of those tests."

The Yankee catcher later reached out to a reporter to make sure that his remarks were understood; he was not hedging.

"I have never done it," Posada said in a telephone interview. "Let me make myself clear: I will never be positive. I don't take anything. I've never tested positive in anything and I never will."

I'm with Headache on this one, I really don't give much of a crap about PEDs...but it's just fun to bang on ARod. It's kind of like Clinton cheating on Hillary...do you think the people bitching about it really gave a crap? Maybe some did, but most of them were just using it to hammer a guy they didn't like to begin with.

As for Posada...sounds to me like John Sterling's "Georgie juiced one!!!" calls just got a bit more meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom