Mlb 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would personally wait before getting too excited, until the point where it's after september 12th and the mets are leading by at least 7 games.

giphy.gif

The Nats are going to do just enough to miss the wildcard and break my heart. They could have done more at the deadline but it's probably smart that they didn't.

I look forward to the day we sign good relievers BEFORE the season starts.

4.5 games out is the most precarious number. It’s not nearly as close as it sounds, and it’s really easy to lose a game and feel like you’re eliminated or win a game back and feel like you’re right in the thick of it.
We'll it's 4 games now... and the Mets have 18 games against the teams in front of them in the wild card race left on the schedule.

So at the very least, if they don't make it, they have nobody to blame but themselves - as there's plenty of opportunity against the teams they need to beat to get in.

Still loads of baseball to go.

Not that I would know. I haven’t watched a baseball game in two years or something like that.

I've found it really hard to stay as into it as I used to be, not being in NY anymore. Don't pay for the package but get it for free via TMobile... but I have to use Chromecast to get the games. So I'm really just looking for any reason I can to get excited before my damn kids turn into Nats fans ::shudder::

Choosing between lifelong Mets or Nats fandom is brutal. I'd just get into a different sport and punch myself in the nuts a few times when October rolls around. Same experience, really.

I watch games on MLB.com every once in a while and attend 1-2 games a year, but I probably follow 70-80 of them on gamecast.

Choosing between lifelong Mets or Nats fandom is brutal. I'd just get into a different sport and punch myself in the nuts a few times when October rolls around. Same experience, really.

I watch games on MLB.com every once in a while and attend 1-2 games a year, but I probably follow 70-80 of them on gamecast.
The alternative is that my wife is a Red Sox fan... which, sure, probably the wise decision if you care about on field success and winning and all .. but being a Mets fan builds character.

And in hindsight, living 2 blocks from Nats Park was probably hasn't helped matters.

And here I thought Jason Vargas wasn’t even in the MLB anymore.

Heck, I didn’t even know he went on to have a long and successful career. Thought he was just garbage we traded to New York who went there to end his career.

The alternative is that my wife is a Red Sox fan... which, sure, probably the wise decision if you care about on field success and winning and all .. but being a Mets fan builds character.

Well, assuming she's a similar age to you, she had the opportunity to build lots of character over the first quarter century or so of her life.
Let's not forget that prior to the ridiculous run Boston sports teams have been on this century it was decades of misery aside from the Celtics. We've earned the spoils we now enjoy.

Yeah, the Patriots were a laughing stock pre-Brady and the Bruins were on the brink of extinction in the mid-2000s.

But ye earned nothing. You’re lucky.

Also would just like to thank the Phillies for trading for Jason Vargas.
The sad thing is he is immediately our second best starter. Nola has been lights out since the start of June, and Arrieta is gritting it out with a large bone spur in his throwing elbow. We also are running out Drew Smyly, who has been cut twice this season.

Things are better in the bullpen, where the three highest paid relievers have missed pretty much the entire season. Three key spots are being held by guys who failed out of starting this season, and two are held by guys the Twins gave up on.

We just optioned our starting third baseman to AAA.

Go Birds.

The Mariners have done a good job of screwing over the east this year. James Paxton has not been good. Edwin Diaz has not been good. Mike Zunino has been terrible. Elías getting hurt right after the trade. Cano being bad and then hurt. Jean Segura being... ok I guess?

Now they can just ruin all those prospects they traded for with their history of failing to develop most of the big talents they’ve had in their farm and continue to miss the playoffs for another half a decade at least.

Well, assuming she's a similar age to you, she had the opportunity to build lots of character over the first quarter century or so of her life.

Let's not forget that prior to the ridiculous run Boston sports teams have been on this century it was decades of misery aside from the Celtics. We've earned the spoils we now enjoy.
Psssht please.

When your city has had the most successful sports run in sports history for 20 years, you lose your ability to say "oh but what about before the last 20 years, they were rough"

The Mariners have done a good job of screwing over the east this year. James Paxton has not been good. Edwin Diaz has not been good. Mike Zunino has been terrible. Elías getting hurt right after the trade. Cano being bad and then hurt. Jean Segura being... ok I guess?

Now they can just ruin all those prospects they traded for with their history of failing to develop most of the big talents they’ve had in their farm and continue to miss the playoffs for another half a decade at least.
Cano was turning it around before the recent injury. His getting hot helped start this turnaround.

Diaz had been a disappointment for sure. We'll see if he can turn it around late here.

The Patriots were in the Super Bowl in 96, and in the playoffs in 4 of the 7 years before Mo Lewis destroyed Drew Bledsoe's internal organs.

Oh lord forgive me, how can I forget Mr. McQueen himself, The Tony Romo of the last generation. Laughing stock may only be true 80% of the time and was a little much, but forgetful is an easy word to pass.

Psssht please.

When your city has had the most successful sports run in sports history for 20 years, you lose your ability to say "oh but what about before the last 20 years, they were rough"

Fair enough.

Believe I'm not complaining even with the Sox playing like the Bad News Bears lately, just pointing out that we had to "build character" for quite some time before this run of prosperity. And as we know some of that character building (Bucky F'in Dent, Bill Buckner, your personal favorite, phantom roughing the passer on Ken Stabler etc.) was the stuff of character building legend.

this is like when someone hits the powerball jackpot and then insists on telling people exactly how broke they were before their numbers came up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom