Mlb 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve experienced different types of betrayalllllllll

Really though? Are you talking being cheap? Because late 90s/early 00s Mariners were cheap. They cheaped out on Randy Johnson and pissed him off. They cheaped out on A-Rod. They cheaped out an acquiring an ace in 2001-2003 and it cost them the playoffs in 01 and even getting there in 02 and 03. Are you talking about trading off great assets to stock your farm up? Because the Mariners have done that with all stars and hall of famers. At least the Marlins won a couple World Series’ before a couple of their rebuilds. Rebuilds take time. You should be happy to be out from under Loria, not mad because your new ownership is building a great farm. There’s no way they’d compete in the NL East this year even with the outfielders and Realmuto.

But whatever, it’s none of my business. I will just always love the Mariners.

Your wounds are older and genuinely not the same.

James Paxton. Edwin Diaz. Jean Segura. Robinson Cano. Nelson Cruz. Mike Zunino. Alex Colome. All gone. That was my offseason. This year. That’s 19 WAR of 2018 production gone. After 17 years of playoff drought. :shrug:

But I still love the team.

Sounds like a very Florida Panthers franchise to me. I love them to death and they try and they disappoint.

The marlins have routinely conned their fans, bought all in, built great cores, and shit all over the fans by dismantling the quality. Doubling down and then saying “just kidding we fold.”

Your vision is obscured because you relayed the Marlins to two World Series championships because you’re older than me. I was 5 in 1997. I definitely remember 2003 and the crazy amount of magic with that team. Also, the fact that that team is quietly one of the most complete teams in the last two decades. What you don’t see is I was 11 then. I’m 26 now. So, for all of my adult life and adolescent life, they’ve been. A joke, and more jokeward as time progresses. The World Series championships aren’t something I see through a lens I currently wear. The child in me remembers that, not me now.

Since 2003, we’ve repeatedly made boneheaded moves acquiring laughable returns for all star players. Players that were fan favorites. I’m looking at Stanton. I’m looking at Dontrelle Willis. I’m looking at Miguel Cabrera. I’m looking at Juan Pierre. Heck, our fucking glimmer of hope died barely past the age of legally being allowed to drink alcohol.

I can count at least four or five times where our franchise has bought up and then spit in the face of the fans by selling off players for no value at all. It’s a vicious cycle, and likely one where these owners are happy to own a team and watch their buy-in investment balloon despite internally hemorrhaging money, so long as they keep the fans on the hook enough to watch the games to some mediocre level.

Your franchise might be similar, but tell me one Marlins contract that was lived out since 2003. Can you name any high quality Marlins that have walked? I can’t.

You’re right. I am older. I vividly remember both Marlins WS victories. The Mariners have never played in a World Series game though. They only went to the playoffs 4 times. All when I was under 18. The most memorable being when I was the age you were when the Marlins won their second.

By the way, the Marlins have a good farm, and robbed the Mariners blind on that Dee Gordon trade last year. So it’s not like they’re just unloading salary and getting nothing at all back.

Anyway, not really looking for an argument. I just will always love the Mariners. Even if they give out a bunch of big contracts and trade them all the next year.

I’m really not looking for an argument either. Genuinely I was in touch until the most recent fiasco with the Marlins. I was aware. I have no clue if we fleeced you or not, and I don’t really care if we did. I do remember that we got an ok deal for Gordon, and felt our deal for Yelich was the only
respectable deal we had. Maybe the one thing you might be missing there as that you’re acquiring Gordon. We haven’t acquired the better player since... Nick Johnson and El Cabello... I know didn’t get shit for Stanton and I don’t agree with any argument about his salary at the time of trade. He was worth more, and the terms of trade said keep him but they traded him anyways.

I genuinely appreciate that your team has struggled as a franchise. It really really does sound a lot like the Florida Panthers. They’re my favorite by sport and I haven’t abandoned them. I am a dolphins fan still. Heat, no reason not to be. I never thought I’d be disloyal to my team (and I’m not, I just quit baseball instead).

I don’t know how to describe it. I’ve enjoyed Florida Panthers and Miami Dolphins failure for over a decade (my enitee adult life) and continue to do so. The marlins have been the franchise that intentionally have promised the promise land itself in order mislead its bae. It’s different. I haven’t justI feel like my time has been stolen.

I’m too drunk to offer you a true response but basically I think there’s a time bias and also an implicit Marlins-ownership-is-happy-to-deceive-its-fans complex going on

For what it's worth, I totally get being a Marlins fan and hating your own team. Less so with Jeffrey Loria out of the picture, he's a truly vile Dan Snyder type, but even so, that hideous stadium remains in his wake. You also quite recently had a once in a lifetime player die in his peak. I know how that feels and how it can mute even the strongest of organizations. That's brutal.

Me, I'm just tired of all of my teams being shit. I was smart enough to bandwagon the Blackhawks dynasty when moving to the midwest made that acceptable, but otherwise sports have been a living hell for 28 years. I'm not convinced the Redskins will win a playoff game in the next 28 years.

Can't wait for the Nationals to waste another year of Max Scherzer and Juan Soto on subpar coaching, embarrassing bullpen performances and Davey Martinez's weak ass excuses. Who let that man manage a professional baseball team? When he talks, it's like a fawn taking its first steps.

Last edited:
Yu Darvish, ladies and gentlemen.

And despite his bad outing, the hitters still put up runs, only for Carl fucking Edwards to give up a 3-run homer in relief.

Not the worst case scenario, but some pitching issues that might become big problems.

This is not a good start...

Baseball in March shouldn't count.

giphy.gif

Nor does it explain why everybody went to Wolfie Cohen's after the game too.

Yeah, yeah Chris, I know it closed a decade ago, but that doesn't help the joke

Last edited:
ah, that's what i get for watching baseball videos at work with the sound off.

i just went to check out the box score of that game. there were as many people at the local AHL team's home game (vs a team from a suburb in quebec) this past weekend than there were at this new york vs miami major league baseball game. oof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom