Mlb 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He sure made it sound like they weren’t a successful or well put together franchise capable of going for a World Series.

He wanted a long deal with a no trade clause so he could fail to live up to his own hype every season until he's 40 and still get paid like a hall of famer.

giphy.gif

He wanted a long deal with a no trade clause so he could fail to live up to his own hype every season until he's 40 and still get paid like a hall of famer.

With the length, cost and terms of this deal, combined with Harper's volatility... I think it's fair to say that but the end of this deal he'll either be one of the most beloved Philadelphia athletes ever, or one of the most hated. I don't see an in-between.

They'll either be building him a statue of begging for him to agree to a trade in 5 years.

i don't even live in philly but i sure do love the pennsylvania tradition of being GODDAM SURE that this year is going to be a home run before it gets robbed away in spectacular fashion.

I frankly don't think Bryce is worth that contract.

He's in the perfect stadium, though. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Short term it should be fine but by year 5 that thing might be an albatross around the Phillies necks.
It's a good deal for the Phillies regardless. They have depth in the minor leagues to fill out a roster, what they lack is impact talent in those minor leagues. Their only prospect with the ceiling of being that good was Sixto Sanchez, who they dealt in the Realmuto deal.

He offers an opportunity to grab a big time player at a position of need, with a contract that won't prevent them from getting other impact players who may become available. They give up nothing and keep prospects to be able to make other moves. And it's all for a guy who is only 26. And he's athletic enough that he should age reasonably well (Ryan Howard he is not).

The Phillies have a pretty good, and reasonably young lineup now. They have retooled the bullpen and should be better there as well. If they can get a Nick Pivetta or Vince Velasquez to make the leap this year, they're in very good shape. If not, they'll likely be players at the deadline to bring in another arm.

i don't even live in philly but i sure do love the pennsylvania tradition of being GODDAM SURE that this year is going to be a home run before it gets robbed away in spectacular fashion.
The last time they were even competitive, I was still in college. It will be wild being in the city now that we'll have competitive teams during all seasons. I already have tickets to every March and April home game (bought them two days before the Harper signing, one of my better ideas).

I wonder if he’ll be a part of any playoff wins over the life of the new contract?

The Angels are one of my least favorite teams. Mike Trout is one of my favorite players. The light at the end of the tunnel just went out.

I wonder if he’ll be a part of any playoff wins over the life of the new contract?

The Angels are one of my least favorite teams. Mike Trout is one of my favorite players. The light at the end of the tunnel just went out.

I'm gonna be bold and say that, yes, Trout will a part of some playoff wins. Like any team, if the Angels have good pitching, they can win a World Series. Plus, keep in mind, if they continue to suck, Trout/Angels can agree to a trade, so nothing's truly locked in.

Meanwhile, I wonder what Aaron Judge will make? 40 mil per season?

I'm gonna be bold and say that, yes, Trout will a part of some playoff wins. Like any team, if the Angels have good pitching, they can win a World Series. Plus, keep in mind, if they continue to suck, Trout/Angels can agree to a trade, so nothing's truly locked in.

Aaron Judge has a long ass way to go before he should sniff 30 million a year, let alone 40.

Well yes, he has 4 years of control before free agency. He's also going to be 31 when he becomes an FA.

The template for Judge's contract is Bregman's extension. 6/100 or thereabouts. Perhaps a little higher since home runs pay more in arbitration.

Yeah, though it looks like MLB is trying to discreetly preempt this by giving the players some concessions. I doubt it will be enough (and it shouldn't).

It's crazy to me how MLB contracts have stagnated over a loooong period of time when the value of franchises increased exponentially. This Fangraphs article on Trout was interesting in this aspect: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mike-trout-leaves-money-on-the-table-again/

In 2019 value, A-Rod's first contract - signed almost 20 years ago! - would be worth 10/592. Jeter's extension would be worth 10/444. Kevin Brown's (!) contract would be worth 7/297. The list goes on. And all of those contracts were signed when the baseball economy was much less healthy than it is today.

Yeah, though it looks like MLB is trying to discreetly preempt this by giving the players some concessions. I doubt it will be enough (and it shouldn't).

It's crazy to me how MLB contracts have stagnated over a loooong period of time when the value of franchises increased exponentially. This Fangraphs article on Trout was interesting in this aspect: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mike-trout-leaves-money-on-the-table-again/

In 2019 value, A-Rod's first contract - signed almost 20 years ago! - would be worth 10/592. Jeter's extension would be worth 10/444. Kevin Brown's (!) contract would be worth 7/297. The list goes on. And all of those contracts were signed when the baseball economy was much less healthy than it is today.
I can't really blame management for getting smarter with how they give out contracts. The Arod contract is a perfect example of that... Texas gave him a contract that nobody else was coming close to. I think they outbid Atlanta by like 100 million.

Something obviously needs to change regarding service time and how early players can get their money and/or hit free agency. But these were all things that the veteran players didn't give a turkey about when they negotiated the CBA because the owners couldn't get out of their own way to hand out dumb money. So there's plenty of blame to go around.

Zero playoff wins for Trout in 8 years so far. And they have a mostly bad farm aside from a couple of their top guys. Based on Trout’s salary and the luxury tax line, the Angels are gonna have to find 40+ WAR for $160m to sniff the playoffs to begin with. Pujols, Upton, Simmons, and Cozart chew up $75m of that for the next two seasons and will probably project for about 10 WAR between them. So they’ll have to find 30+ WAR for $85m. That would take a ton of young talent. And you know what’s missing from their top earners? Pitching. Ohtani could change that whenever he can pitch again.

I think there’ll be a decent fight for 3rd place in the AL West between the Angels and Mariners over the next 3-4 years.

Back
Top Bottom