Mlb 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the Mariners really trade Diaz or Haniger along with Cano to dump Cano’s contract, I might be done as a Mariners fan. Some other team will take over as my first team if that happens.

So we move James Paxton for Justus Sheffield (who has a projected ceiling of a number 3, a walk problem, and scouts see as potentially needing to move to the ‘pen due to inconsistent 3rd offering), a guy we could have waited for the Rule 5 draft, and a 23 year old in High A that isn’t in the Yankees’ top 30 prospects (as per mlb.com).

Unless Sheffield improves his control and his change significantly, that’s another big trade win for Cashman.

Man does it seem like the Yankees have some side money in the mix.

So now I see Diaz and Cano for McNeil, Kelenic, Dunn, and a few bad contracts the Mets are saddled with (Bruce, Vargas, Lagares, Frazier, Swarzak). That seems... not awful for the Mariners. The first three names just for Diaz make a lot more sense though. I think Cano has more value to Seattle than anywhere else, but probably doesn’t fit well into the current plan to be a contender in 2021.

Honestly I don’t know why we’d want to trade Cano. I know Steamer thinks he’s 3.0 fWAR next year and with the age curve then, he’d be worth 2.5, 1.8, 1, and 0.5 or something in the following 4 years, but Steamer also thinks that his defense is going to tank. He’s averaged ~3.5 UZR/150 over the last 3 years and Steamer predicts something like -10/150 for next year. With his defense remaining as is, that’s like a full win better.

As for the Mets spending big, I bet their payroll will decrease in 2019 and 2020 if this deal happens.

McNeil could be legit or he could be a mirage. Very bad exit velocity. I’m more interested in Kelenic, Dunn, and Peterson personally.

You’re not going to spend that much on Cano really. You’re getting rid of Bruce and Swarzak, so that gets Cano down to 5/$85m. If the rumors of the Mariners adding in enough for $60m off the contract including sunk cost, that’s another $25m off his contract. At the end of the day, 5/$60m is probably a good deal for a guy who will put up 10 WAR (as long as he stays fairly healthy and doesn’t spend more time on the restricted list, but if he does, that’s even less he’d be paid, and likelier that he’d do well in the later years).

As for the prospect part, you’re getting a reliever who just put up one of the best reliever seasons of all time for four years at dirt cheap.

Some of the people in the comments sections elsewhere who are Mets fans have mentioned that they think they’ll get some MLB-ready talent back for Thor and that they’ll spend for a FA starter (like Corbin) to replace him. So instead of spending on a couple relievers, they make this deal with Seattle to keep the money even and spend the money they’d have for relievers on a starter, and more than replenish the lost prospects with what they get back for Thor.

But who really knows what a rookie GM looking to make a splash will do?

My initial anger at the Cubs resigning Russell is tempered slightly by the statements released by the team and the man today. I'm not saying I'll ever cheer the guy on again, but if he truly is trying on his own to get help beyond court-ordered, that's a start at least.

Our catcher situation looks really bright all of a sudden. Now we just need to figure out first base, second base and the 4th and 5th rotation slots and we're golden!!!

But this is a win now move, which doesn't jive with the rumors that they're trying to trade Syndergaard for prospects

Plus the relief market is flush this off-season.

I'm skeptical

If this deal goes down, naturally, the Mets should keep Thor. I mean, shit, Cano might only agree to the trade if the Mets can convince him that they want to win now and that should involve Thor. The dude's 26. He should be a Met for life if he's healthy and can continue to pitch at a high level.

If this deal goes down, naturally, the Mets should keep Thor. I mean, shit, Cano might only agree to the trade if the Mets can convince him that they want to win now and that should involve Thor. The dude's 26. He should be a Met for life if he's healthy and can continue to pitch at a high level.
That's one of the things that has me thinking... our new GM is Syndergaard's former agent. Does he know something we don't about his health?

So, the Mets are gonna pay 12 million a season for a 36 year old 2B, who, if he fails another PED test will be out for a year? Plus, he can only DH for Interleague games in AL cities. Suppose that's not too bad, Hopefully, Cano has a few more productive seasons in him.

It’s a fiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrre... sale.

Let’s see, so far it’s Zunino, Heredia, Paxton, Colomé, Cano, and Diaz. And it’s rumored to soon also be Segura (and possibly Haniger, Leake, and Gonzales).

All of this and our farm might climb out of scorched earth (until graduations!).

Cano and Edwin Diaz are now Mets. Mets get MLB's top closer. He's the stud of this trade. At 24 years old, hopefully for the Mets, he's the gift that keeps on giving. A shame for Robbie that things didn't work out in Seattle, but I think he' still has some NY-based charities that he's involved with, so this works for him. Now if only he could run a little faster to first base. :wink:

I'm relieved that the Yankees didn't get Robbie. The priority should still be more starters. But, of course, there's the possibility of signing Machado.

Over under on Keith bashing Cano's hustle is set at 12.5 games

I have my concerns over a pit her with a bone spur who just set career highs in innings pitched and games played... but it hasn't been a concern yet, so as long as that stays solid it should be a quality pickup.

Let's see what else Brodie has up his sleeve.

The NL East is going to be fun to watch from afar this year. Four teams that could be really good, and one team that will be really bad.

If the Nats can find their way into the playoffs this year, even as a wildcard, they might finally win a series with Scherzer/Strasburg/Corbin. That's killer.

Still a lot to figure out at first and second base. The best years of Ryan Zimmerman and Howie Kendrick are long behind them.

Back
Top Bottom